Today's Question: Do you support same-sex marriage?

Bama_Dawg

1st Team
May 17, 2005
This article does a fairly good job of discussing how "traditional marriage" as we think of it today scantily resembles the "traditional marriage" of even 50 years ago.

The redefinition of traditional marriage began about 250 years ago, when Westerners began to allow young people to choose their partners on the basis of love rather than having their marriages arranged to suit the interests of their parents. Then, just 100 years ago, courts and public opinion began to extend that right even to marriages that parents and society disapproved.

In the 1940s and 1950s, many states repealed laws that prevented particular classes of people—including those with tuberculosis and “the feeble-minded”—from marrying. In 1967 the U.S. Supreme Court ruled it unconstitutional for states to prohibit interracial marriage. In 1987 it upheld the right of prison inmates to marry.

The path to same-sex marriage was further opened up when heterosexual couples began to push back against state control over their sexual and reproductive lives. Until the 1950s, some states forbade married couples from using assisted reproduction to have children, ruling that artificial insemination was tantamount to adultery and any resultant child was illegitimate. Conversely, until the Supreme Court ruled in 1965 that couples had a right to sexual privacy, many states refused to allow the sale of birth control to married couples who wanted to prevent or limit their childbearing.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Whether a couple is joined together in a church or not has zero bearing on whether they are recognized legally. I got married in a B&B by some dude who probably got the ability to marry people in some backwoods North Carolina speed course! The laws of this land recognize that union exactly the same way they recognize a couple joined in a Catholic church. That is what needs to be afforded to gay couples.
You really need to lay off those tequila shooters.:wink:

Last edited:

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Amen sister!! I got married under a giant tree by a guy who got a mail order license from California. Been married 37 years. Didn't need (nor Want) a church.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Simple question. Try to answer in a very short and direct manner. Even if you hate gay people to their core and think what they are doing is an abomination, why are you against gay marriage? They are not gonna stop what they are doing just cause they are single.

I know this entire thread has been about this, but I want just a short direct answer. I am opposed to it because.......
...it creates societal acceptance. Just because people engage in a particular behavior doesn't mean that society should accept it as normal.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
i think a lot of the margin of defeat goes to the intensity of opinion of the folks who oppose gay marriage and the way that translates into them getting out the vote.
...and potentially the lack of intensity of belief/feeling in those who "support" such marriages.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I also think that people will answer one way in an open forum and then vote the other in the booth. Most people opposed will avoid discussions like this for fear of appearing to be a bigot or homophobic.....

RVTIDER

Hall of Fame
Oct 29, 2004
Tuscaloosa, Al.
I also think that people will answer one way in an open forum and then vote the other in the booth. Most people opposed will avoid discussions like this for fear of appearing to be a bigot or homophobic.....
Not me bro. I am straight up what you see is what you get. Matters nothing to me of what people think of me, except for my family and close friends. I am a good person, more good than I let most people know. Very comfortable in my own skin.

Ok no more bragging about myself today.:biggrin2:

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Not me bro. I am straight up what you see is what you get. Matters nothing to me of what people think of me, except for my family and close friends. I am a good person, more good than I let most people know. Very comfortable in my own skin.

Ok no more bragging about myself today.:biggrin2:
We need more like you

swoop10

Hall of Fame
Feb 10, 2001
Valdosta, GA
yes, that was what i was getting at. they may support it, but it may be pretty far down the list of things that will get you "off the couch" to go vote.
Well that's not much support now is it? It's like the people who claim they support embryonic stem cell research but only do so with their taxes. Please if it is something you support and believe in then really support it by doing something.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Well the problem is, we have so many other topics we must consider when casting our vote. Gay marriage isn't that high on the list for me. Other matters which I consider to be critical for the future of our country are higher on that list. It's in those matters that I feel Obama falls woefully short. Of course, as is always the case lately, the other option doesn't inspire much confidence either.

Ah hell. Should have read the posts after. 92tide already said what I was thinking.

Last edited:

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
http://www.nationalreview.com/artic...e-opinion-same-sex-marriage-charles-c-w-cooke

One could be forgiven for wondering how we are all supposed to keep up. Last month, as Indiana’s rather tame religious-freedom legislation was being torched by the mob, America’s more devout dissenters were informed that the price of participation in the marketplace was the subjugation of one’s conscience to one’s Caesar. “You can’t opt out of the law,” the agitators explained. “This isn’t the Jim Crow South!” Their core message? That if we all keep quiet about our views — and if we treat commercial transactions as commercial transactions — nobody will end up getting hurt. Or, put another way: “Cater my wedding, you bigot.”

In Dreher’s story, alas, the opposite case appears to obtain. “We can’t be expected to honor our contracts with companies that disagree with us,” the outraged couple is arguing, “for that might taint our nuptials.” The new message? That we can’t all get along by keeping quiet, but instead need to positively affirm one another or face the consequences. Or, put another way: “Even if I ask you to, don’t cater my wedding, you bigot.”

Would that the agitators could settle on a strategy.
Of course, the jeweler was bullied to the point that he refunded the "couple's" money.

KentuckianaBFan

All-SEC
Jan 26, 2011
Lakeland, FL, 2018
echoaffiliate.com
Well the problem is, we have so many other topics we must consider when casting our vote. Gay marriage isn't that high on the list for me. Other matters which I consider to be critical for the future of our country are higher on that list. It's in those matters that I feel Obama falls woefully short. Of course, as is always the case lately, the other option doesn't inspire much confidence either.

Ah hell. Should have read the posts after. 92tide already said what I was thinking.

{Me too} button pressed.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
I don't care what any 2 (or 3,4 or whatever) consenting adults, married or otherwise, do with their lives or in a private setting. I do care when they try to force what I consider to be a sinful abomination down the throats of voting citizens and try to make folks believe it is what God intended.
So do I believe it should be legalized and sanctioned by the State and the courts?
No, but thankfully what is right or wrong for others isn't up to me to decide. That will be decided for each person by Someone a lot more important. And fwiw, His decision is the only one that really counts. It is also the final one, and can never be stricken down or reversed by self-important,
arrogant 'humans.

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Heard this yesterday.
There is “a spirit abroad in the earth,” under the control “of the Arch-foe of God and man,” a spirit known as “Radicalism.” “This ruthless, leveling Spirit” sees man as the all-encompassing idea and “wages war against the Family, the State and the Church” with “Titanic audacity.”

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.