Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    Inspired on TideFans.com

Re: Who would you guys like to see the SEC add to fill out a 16 team conference?

Quote Originally Posted by CapstoneGrad06 View Post
    I don't want to see a 16 team conference. I didn't want Texas A&M or Missouri. In fact, I think things should be more like pre-1992. That being said, I know it's never going to happen and college football will continue to be ruined. As for my initial statement, Virginia and Virginia Tech are extremely tied together. VT wrestled for 50 years to make its may into the ACC. There's not enough money, relative to college football, to overcome those political wranglings in Virginia. I'm not entirely certain UNC and N.C. State are quite as tied, but I've been told it's similar.
    Again, it wasn't about do you want to see a 16 team conference. I'm with you... I'd rather go back to when it was 10 teams. I'd like to go back to having an SWC, a Big Ten that actually had 10 teams, Pac 10, and a strong band of Independents. But those days are long gone.

The case of the state of Virginia is interesting. They were in different conferences for many many years. The legislature got involved only because with the ACC raiding the Big East, it was thought that Virginia Tech would be left in a dead conference. So they pushed to have them included in the ACC. I don't think there was interest in having the 2 in the same league, just having both teams in big time leagues. Having Virginia Tech in the SEC would seem to be ok, since it would be a big time league. They could still play their annual game. Virginia never wanted Va Tech in the ACC anyway...

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American

Re: Who would you guys like to see the SEC add to fill out a 16 team conference?

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    If those four teams are so tied together because of state politics, they will be without a conference.
    Notre Dame, Virginia, and North Carolina are almost non starters, unless there are major shifts in the current architecture of collegiate sports...they all feel they're way too elite academically for the SEC, and are also more closely tied to round ball than football. Things can change, but I have serious doubts abot any of these.

I also think if Notre Dame joins a conference, the most likely is the Big10.

I think the most likely candidates are Virginia Tech and NC State...gievn what Ive read and heard. You never know, but those are the ones that I think would be most likely...IMO.

Texas and Texas A&M were thought to be closely tied also, but that didnt keep TAMU from moving over...

and I may be in a minority here, burt I think that the addition of TAMU and Missouri was a great move by the SEC. I think Slive has done a great job keeping the SEC positioned during this period of time.
    Last edited by bamafaninOhiO; May 21st, 2012 at 02:51 PM.

FB | REC Moderator

It's entirely possible that conference re-alignment could lead to major independents being a fad once again.
    On what network
    "I know there's tremendous expectations here for what you would like to accomplish with this football program . I can tell you that however you feel about it , I have even higher expectations for what we want to accomplish . I want to win every game we play ." - Nick Saban 1/4/07

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by bamafaninOhiO View Post
    Notre Dame, Virginia, and North Carolina are almost non starters, unless there are major shifts in the current architecture of collegiate sports...they all feel they're way too elite academically for the SEC, and are also more closely tied to round ball than football. Things can change, but I have serious doubts abot any of these.
    If North Carolina is scared to join the SEC because of its basketball, they need to look at Kentucky and Florida. Then again, maybe they won't want the competition in basketball or football...

I also think if Notre Dame joins a conference, the most likely is the Big10.
    That's a no brainer unless the Big East picks apart the ACC.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

BamaNation Hall of Fame CapstoneGrad06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LCN View Post
    On what network
    A similar contract to what BYU is working with.
    "Each play has a history and a life of its own. How is that play going to be remembered? If you're focusing on that play and what you have to do that single play, usually you'll do pretty good on it." - Coach Nick Saban

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

If further expansion is deemed to be in the best interests of the SEC, the SEC needs to add the states of NC and VA to a television package. Accordingly, top choices are:

1) UNC. They don't move unless the ACC implodes... which could happen. Even then, they have an internal donnybrook as they decide whether to petition the Big Ten or the SEC for admittance.

2) VaTech. Much larger school than UVA and with a large fan base that actually cares about sports. VaTech brings the DC market better than UVA. They will compete from Day 1. And thanks to Beamer's long tenure, they're too deep into big-time football to fall back to the 1960's years of VPI.

3) NCState. If UNC passes on the SEC, NCState won't. They're a credible "get" to bring in the state of NC. And as we are seeing with South Carolina-Clemson, SEC membership would be leveraged by NCState to make them the dominant fan-favorite football program in the state.

4) UVA. Adds the state of Virginia to the SEC footprint and gives the SEC a premier state school. They will be a good partner for Vandy and will help ensure that Florida, UGA, and TN (and VaTech...) dominate the SEC East.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

If the SEC wants the DC market, why not go straight at DC and get Maryland? College Park is around 30 minutes from D.C.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

(In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

BamaNation First Team

I am not sure that I like all the conference realignment. I think Boise St playing in the Big East is absurd! I really was not a big fan of picking up MizzU, either. I understand why they were added, but it does not mean I like it. Texas AM is a little different story. TAM is an easy fit into the SEC for me, and they should have come/been invited before Arkansas in my opinion (I was stationed overseas at the time and do not know the story behind Arky coming to the SEC).

So if we have to add two more teams...here is who I would CONSIDER...

1. Notre Dame. I would love to have the Golden Domers in our conference. I know this is in stark contrast to my feelings about Boise St and the Big East, but I would love to match up with them on more even terms every year. Besides, there is a ton of money that follows this team.

2. FSU. Their move to the ACC was one of the best business decisions ever made in college football. When FSU forst came into the ACC, it was a very weak conference and allowed Bowden and Co. to move up into "Elite" status very rapidly. FSU does have a very rabid fan base, and the money will follow them, too.

3. Louisville. Decent football that may not be ready for SEC football, but basketball, baseball, and other sports would be a welcome addition. The problem with Louisville is that it exists in a state where there is not enough football talent to go around. The same could be said for Southern Miss.

4. Ga Tech. I am really on the fence with this one. On one hand, they had their shot. They left because of a supposed feud with Bama, and I hold a grudge against them. On the flip side, the state of Georgia is rich in football talent, and unlike Kentucky, Tennessee, and Mississippi, there is enough talent to support two teams from the same state.

Just my 2 cents.
    "Winning isn't everything.
    It's the ONLY thing."
    Vince Lombardi

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by BamaFanTraeInGeorgia View Post
    I am not sure that I like all the conference realignment. I think Boise St playing in the Big East is absurd! I really was not a big fan of picking up MizzU, either. I understand why they were added, but it does not mean I like it. Texas AM is a little different story. TAM is an easy fit into the SEC for me, and they should have come/been invited before Arkansas in my opinion (I was stationed overseas at the time and do not know the story behind Arky coming to the SEC).

So if we have to add two more teams...here is who I would CONSIDER...

1. Notre Dame. I would love to have the Golden Domers in our conference. I know this is in stark contrast to my feelings about Boise St and the Big East, but I would love to match up with them on more even terms every year. Besides, there is a ton of money that follows this team.

2. FSU. Their move to the ACC was one of the best business decisions ever made in college football. When FSU forst came into the ACC, it was a very weak conference and allowed Bowden and Co. to move up into "Elite" status very rapidly. FSU does have a very rabid fan base, and the money will follow them, too.

3. Louisville. Decent football that may not be ready for SEC football, but basketball, baseball, and other sports would be a welcome addition. The problem with Louisville is that it exists in a state where there is not enough football talent to go around. The same could be said for Southern Miss.

4. Ga Tech. I am really on the fence with this one. On one hand, they had their shot. They left because of a supposed feud with Bama, and I hold a grudge against them. On the flip side, the state of Georgia is rich in football talent, and unlike Kentucky, Tennessee, and Mississippi, there is enough talent to support two teams from the same state.

Just my 2 cents.
    I just don't see Tech getting an invite because they left. And would UGA, AU and UA vote in favor of giving them an invite?
    Coach Bryant

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    If the SEC wants the DC market, why not go straight at DC and get Maryland? College Park is around 30 minutes from D.C.
    Maryland doesn't have the following or the cachet of either of the Virginia schools... Even in the DC area. (I spent over 25 years in the DC area. Fans in DC are from all over the country.)

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

As we know now, a lot can change and a conference can wind up with some strange bedfellows, but IMO I cannot see UNC, Duke, Notre Dame, or UVA in the SEC. There is merit to the Big 10 adding those four programs to get to the magical 16 number. If I were to wager I would bet on NC State and Va Tech could be new SEC members. From what has been written and said it looks like Louisville, Cincinnati and Miami may be on the outside looking in. The new reality is that none of these programs have much following outside their city limits.

So if the ACC falls apart what happens to Wake, Maryland, Boston College, UConn, Ga Tech and new members to be (Pitt and Syracuse)? Everybody obviously will not have a place at the big table.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by BamaFossil View Post
    Maryland doesn't have the following or the cachet of either of the Virginia schools... Even in the DC area. (I spent over 25 years in the DC area. Fans in DC are from all over the country.)
    If that is the case, why does the "the SEC wants/needs the DC market" continue? DC is like a military town; every few years one group moves out and another moves in. There's no consistency in the viewership.
    Coach Bryant

FB | REC Moderator

A similar contract to what BYU is working with.
    Which won't be renewed , once the dust settles and they enter a conference . There's just not much to be gained from trying to shape a network contract around a bunch of independent schools which won't be playing for anything at the end of the year . No network would find that overly appealing .
    "I know there's tremendous expectations here for what you would like to accomplish with this football program . I can tell you that however you feel about it , I have even higher expectations for what we want to accomplish . I want to win every game we play ." - Nick Saban 1/4/07