Who would you guys like to see the SEC add to fill out a 16 team conference?

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I think it is the same axiom, a market with professional sports teams certainly impacts a university's athletic allegiances and fan base: ie Atlanta, Miami, Dallas, Nashville, Washington, to name a few. It is the competition for the fans disposable income that goes to ticket sales, sports attire and many other team related merchandise and functions. It is difficult to coexist in that kind of competitive market.

freefall

1st Team
Apr 30, 2009
Leesburg, VA
The problem I have with Tech is that almost all their worth is in the notion that they are a football power. They're 60th all time. That puts them 7 whole spots ahead of Virginia. My concern is that all of this value is built on Beamer's run of 8 straight ten win seasons. That, I can assure you, will not continue in the SEC. So, what then? What value is if they revert to their origins once Beamer is gone? They'd clearly become bottom tier in the SEC and what of their 66K stadium then (mind you, some thought that A&M who averaged 87K wasn't good enough for the SEC)? So, I'm befuddled by VT's selling point as a football power, when historically speaking they'd be the worst SEC program in football. I do understand, that they currently are more popular, considering the streak of 10 win seasons and the fact that Virginia hasn't won 10 games since 1989. But, once again that's likely to change in the SEC, and what if it doesn't? What of South Carolina (who averaged 13K more than VT), or Kentucky if they just get pushed lower on the totem pole?
Although I'm clearly biased, I think you're selling us just a wee bit short here. VT has been to a bowl game for 19 straight years. In that span, only one team in the country has won more games than VT (Florida). Not Alabama or LSU, not Ohio State or Wisconsin, not Oklahoma or Texas, and not USC. Obviously the level of competition in the BEFC and the ACC doesn't quite compare to the current SEC, but that's still a damned impressive run. Of course you're right, the 10-win season streak will almost certainly come to a screeching halt in the SEC. But I'm optimistic that the winning season/bowl streak would continue. And that would absolutely give us something to build on, to the point that in 5-10 years I think we'd be one of the teams always in the mix for a spot in the SEC championship, and every so often actually winning it.

As for being 60th all-time, so what? We were essentially a football nonentity until the early 90s. I'm not disrespecting programs that have been relevant for a lot longer than we have, nor am I arguing that we're really all that relevant nationally even now. I'm simply saying that much of that history doesn't matter in the context of the current discussion. You sound like the old-money family that's upset about the new-money kids that just moved in down the street. Do wins and losses from more than a generation ago really have any bearing on whether or not conference expansion makes sense now, and which teams are the right ones? IMO you have to judge based on what they bring to the table today and what they're likely to do for you tomorrow, not what they did 50 years ago. Clearly there are valid questions re: VT -- will the fans continue to travel well, will they continue to support the team if a good year is 7-5, who will the next head coach be, etc. And those may very well be good reasons to take someone else like UNC or UVA. But I just don't see how the fact that we've been good for "only" 20 years is a problem.

And keep in mind, all those things that you say are "risks" for VT are pretty much "givens" for UVA. They're average at best in football, and their fan base can hardly be described as passionate. In the SEC they'd be Vandy-north. So if your goal is to have an easy win every (other) year, go for it. But if you want to continue to raise the profile of the SEC, to keep it the absolute premier conference in the land when it comes to football, then IMO they're not the right pick.

I wanted to see how VT did on a down year, so I went as far back as I could, to 1997.
Heh. You had to go back 15 years to find a down year. And in that "down" year we still had a winning record and still went to a bowl game. I'm not sure I could have made my point any more concisely than that, thanks! :)

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
It's all about the foundation with Virginia Tech.

The state of Virginia produces plenty of high school football talent. Tech's fan base is far more "rabid" (for lack of a better word) than Virginia. They are going to get the majority of the home grown recruits. They've got good facilities. The fans are passionate and will pack out the stadium (Especially with Florida, Georgia, Alabama and LSU coming to town).

They've just got to be sure they handle replacing Beamer well. It's tough to replace a legend (and Beamer is definitely a legend for Va Tech).

BamaSully

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
Jackson, TN
Krazy3, I'd like to have a gander at the all-time ranking you are referring to. I might have missed it in an earlier post. Mind posting a link for me?

Thanks

-Sully

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
It's all about the foundation with Virginia Tech.

The state of Virginia produces plenty of high school football talent. Tech's fan base is far more "rabid" (for lack of a better word) than Virginia. They are going to get the majority of the home grown recruits. They've got good facilities. The fans are passionate and will pack out the stadium (Especially with Florida, Georgia, Alabama and LSU coming to town).

They've just got to be sure they handle replacing Beamer well. It's tough to replace a legend (and Beamer is definitely a legend for Va Tech).
I agree about replacing Beamer, better hope they don't go through the same "wandering in the wilderness period" like that team in Tuscaloosa did.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Krazy3, I'd like to have a gander at the all-time ranking you are referring to. I might have missed it in an earlier post. Mind posting a link for me?

Thanks

-Sully
Sure, here you go:
http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/rankings/all_time_team_rankings.php

Edit: Also, I have to say this. I'm not again a combination of say North Carolina and VT. Or, possibly even Virginia and NC State. Heck, Notre Dame + almost anyone. It's just the clear second (or third) school in both states that's a big part of the problem. If we're not even trying to hit the home run, why not just go with Cincinnati or Maryland? To me it's just, you need to make the perfect addition and at this point it's not about SEC style football fans. That's got to be low in the list of priorities because this is the end game we're talking about here.

Last edited:

Aggie Scott

Scout Team
May 1, 2012
Due to the "agreement" with SEC schools that have a "veto" over other "instate" schools. That eliminates a lot of good football schools. That said I would opt for Virginia Tech, and North Carolina.
I LOVE THIS RULE! I guess we can't use it till July 1st though!

KJ in VA

May 24, 2012
North Carolina and Virginia.
North Carolina would be a good addition if they would accept an SEC offer, which they would not (in any feasible scenario). NCSU is arguably a better longterm bet anyway due to demographic reasons (larger school, more local alumni, more male alumni, more football focus). However, I can't blame anyone for preferring UNC over NCSU at this time *IF* UNC would actually accept a bid, which they won't.

But, for those advocating UVa over Virginia Tech ... I'd be curious the logic behind that preference. VT is much more popular and has much more sports upside. UVa is a great university. So are Wake Forest, Davidson and Washington & Lee, but that doesn't mean they'd be good SEC members. The only reason for taking them over VT that I can think of is that they'd be an easier team to beat without coming across as an obvious creampuff. UVa also wouldn't accept an SEC bid, but that's beside the point.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
North Carolina would be a good addition if they would accept an SEC offer, which they would not (in any feasible scenario). NCSU is arguably a better longterm bet anyway due to demographic reasons (larger school, more local alumni, more male alumni, more football focus). However, I can't blame anyone for preferring UNC over NCSU at this time *IF* UNC would actually accept a bid, which they won't.

But, for those advocating UVa over Virginia Tech ... I'd be curious the logic behind that preference. VT is much more popular and has much more sports upside. UVa is a great university. So are Wake Forest, Davidson and Washington & Lee, but that doesn't mean they'd be good SEC members. The only reason for taking them over VT that I can think of is that they'd be an easier team to beat without coming across as an obvious creampuff. UVa also wouldn't accept an SEC bid, but that's beside the point.
I agree and that's why I think VT and NC St. are the obvious choices should the SEC expand again. It has to be beneficial to all parties involved. All that said lets hope this nonsense ends before they completely ruin college athletics.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
for those advocating UVa over Virginia Tech ... I'd be curious the logic behind that preference.
I hope to close my end of the discussion on Virginia Tech. I could see the value in adding NC State and Virginia Tech. However, as the final two additions? The last salvo in the arms race against the Big 10? I think that would be a mistake. The Big 10 with four slots, and North Carolina, Virginia, and Notre Dame just hanging in the wind? It can't be about who we think would join what conference. The SEC is not in desperate need of a date. It's more like, is this the woman you want to leave your wife for? The more I look at it, the more clear it becomes to me that the SEC should only be talking to North Carolina and Notre Dame, and if they don't listen, then there's really no one else worth talking to. If the SEC is going to get the leftovers, they might as well wait. May be they can force the Big 10 into taking both Duke and North Carolina, or Virginia and Virginia Tech, at least that would limit the states they can move into.

My use of flagship was a little off. I amended it at one point. How about main university, or namesake? North Carolina and Virginia, the state or the university? That's the identity I'm talking about and what makes up 10 of the 14 SEC programs (two of the other four are a detriment to the conference). There is no prestige in football, with these four. North Carolina has prestige in basketball so that's a plus for them...
Virginia: Ranked 25 academically. 4.76 billion endowment.
Virginia Tech: Ranked 71 academically. Less than one billion endowment.
North Carolina: Ranked 29 academically. 2.26 billion endowment.
NC State: Ranked 101 academically. Around half a billion endowment.

Those numbers make it clear where the money and power in those states are. Academics don't matter/program X won't join because of academics is also an odd sort of logic. If you need to better your academics to gain respect, then academics hold value.

The more I look at it the more I don't like either college in Virginia. I get the value to the network, but beyond that? Not a whole lot. Virginia Tech had to litigate their way into the ACC! Why should a program that had a great run under Beamer be in that position? Beamer ball is the only meaningful thing Virginia Tech has done, ever! They won one bowl game prior to Beamer showing up. ONE! On what basis would VT keep a Beamer like run up after he leaves? What does the Beamer coaching tree look like? Will VT will bring in the Vick brothers? There is simply nothing there aside from Beamer. The notion that they'll just run out and find another Beamer is laughable. They had something like 34 coaches before Beamer. 34 who won a grand total of one bowl game! But, they'll just go into that deep well and find the next one. I find this claim highly dubious and the main reason is they don't have anything to draw on. If you go with just the numbers, they have a 1 in 35 chance of finding another Beamer. I'll give them better odds than that, but not good odds.

There's a reason that VT has a streak unmatched by Big 10 and SEC teams. It's because they haven't been playing in the Big 10 or SEC! Virginia Tech's football resume looks more like Boise St., than it looks like one of the prestigious Big 10 or SEC programs. Even if they have a Beamer, even if they keep playing at this level, they'll do it against a much higher level of competition. They could luck into a Saban, who could take them to the next level, but look at Florida and UT. Both of those prestigious programs are struggling and there is a lot of doubt as to whether or not they have the right coaches. If they don't, they'll have another setback, take another shot and what if that coach isn't the right guy? These are top 20 programs, but it's just not easy to do. There is absolutely nothing that says VT, without that level of resources, without the deep well of football expertise to draw on can manage that, especially facing the rigors of the SEC.

With VT have you two scenarios in the SEC. One is that they fall flat on their face. This is possible, and we don't know how far they'd fall in that scenario. They're not far removed from 40K a game, their bottom is closer to the bottom of the SEC than the inverse. They don't have much to fall back on. Their basketball program has done little, they are a football school with a very limited resume. They have historically been the #2 college in the state, if anything their true rival is Virginia Military Institute. If they become irrelevant in football again (it's happened to even multiple national championship football programs), the fate of other non-namesake programs, Vanderbilt and Miss. St. could become very realistic. They are in a large state, but it's more of a pro sports town, they could easily forget VT. We're talking about a single generation of fans here really. My father was a lifelong Alabama fan, I'm a lifelong Alabama fan. It goes for generations, it spans over a hundred years. VT? They'd be easily made irrelevant because all that requires for interest to die down in a few years of struggles. The single generation of fans won't pass that legacy on to their kids and that will be that. VT would be another Miss. St., except not as good at other sports.

There is also the scenario that VT comes in and remains a football power. Why do I harp on prestige? It was already alluded to here. VT is not really a national draw. CBS is not going to throw money at the SEC because they have VT. I've looked over ratings and VT doesn't come up in any of the huge games. They're not a national player. My dad, if he was still around wouldn't care one bit about VT. I barely care about VT. They haven't gotten over the hump. They have a nice list of ten win seasons, but what else? In the SEC, we measure accomplishments in national championships. To quote Wikipedia: Although Virginia Tech is still seeking its first national title in a varsity sport, it has won a national championship in bass fishing. Let that sink in! These guys haven't won anything (Virginia has won 18 NCAA national championships by the way)! Nothing, ever! Yet, athletically they have merit? They have no history, they have no real tradition. So, what if they don't struggle? What if, the admittedly tough VT home field takes down the likes of UT, Florida, and Georgia?

When Tennessee is doing well they fill a 102,455 person stadium.
When Georgia is doing well they fill a 92,746 person stadium.
When Florida is doing well they fill a 88,548 person stadium.
When Virginia Tech is doing well they fill a 66,233 person stadium.

Virginia Tech, even as an SEC elite team would take decades to reach the financial earnings that these other programs merit. VT's athletic department earned 66 million (NC State earned 51 and NC earned 75) according to USA Today. Florida earned 123, UT earned 104, and Georgia 92. These programs, if unseated by VT would present a net financial loss for the SEC! VT simply doesn't have the infrastructure, or the national following to take advantage of football success relative to other SEC programs. That's what I've been trying to get at. May be in a couple decades, but they right now have very limited merit as an athletic program, period! I do not care how many games they've won, that's irrelevant to what their earnings potential is! The fact is it might be worse for the SEC if they did well, than if they struggled and became another Miss. St. Their pathetic athletic department and lack of national appeal would pilfer their success, much as they appear to be doing now, and in doing so they would waste revenue for the SEC as well.

So, why VT over Virginia? What's the actual logic behind it?
VT=0 NCAA Championships.
Virginia=18 NCAA Championships.
VT=71 Academically.
Virginia=25 Academically.
VT=66 million athletic revenue.
Virginia=78 million athletic revenue.
VT=60 rank historically in football.
Virginia=67 rank historically in football

I'm not in love with Virginia, but, VT has a very, very long way to go. Almost all the pro VT arguments that have been made, could be made for Boise St. as well. The only thing they offer that's of true value to the SEC is the market they'd bring with them. In return for that, they would bring athletic and financial mediocrity, plus a sizable risk. Do we really want to risk another Miss. St.? Alabama won more NCAA championships yesterday, than VT has ever won, ever. The ACC got it, but their hand was forced. I hope the SEC gets it to. Virginia and North Carolina's combined athletic programs generated 153 million. VT and NC State combined for 117. It's not even close...

Texas is too arrogant but you want Notre Dame in the SEC?
Texas destroys conferences. I didn't say anything about arrogance did I?

Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I would prefer eight 10 team conferences with no divisions and the conference winners comprise the 8 teams for the big 4 bowls. You have increased the number of eligible teams from 64 to 80 which should please everyone and you only have 44 teams to drop down to a lower division. Go back to an 11 game season and let the conference championship game be #12 pitting the two highest ranked teams in the conference championship game. It is going to be a long off season and it is not even June yet.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Virginia's 18 national titles are nice, but most of them are in sports the SEC does not sponsor.

KJ in VA

May 24, 2012
I hope to close my end of the discussion on Virginia Tech...
Thanks - however, I think you're looking at things somewhat selectively because you like the names "North Carolina" and "Virginia" more than you like the names "North Carolina State" and "Virginia Tech."

The facts you cite are true. UVa and UNC have larger endowments and are ranked higher in US News & World Report than are VT and NCSU. Although, I am not positive how that pertains to sports conference membership, it is in fact true.

There are several responses to that, which I will give; but ultimately, I don't think it matters. I think what matters is sports competitiveness and popularity. I guarantee you that VT is more popular than UVa in any measure that pertains to college football - attendance, in-state television, regional television, national television, bowl ticket sales. You listed a number of schools and their attendance when they have a good year, with VT coming in at 66K and change. That is true - but are you aware of UVa's attendance of about 45K? You cited athletics budgets - but having spent some time parsing that data, I can tell you that the X factors are generally a) that schools report the same things in different ways due to lack of standards, b) some schools have a larger number of sports, eg lacrosse, field hockey. NCSU and UNC have nearly identical football revenue, as a more specific for-instance (neither very high).

In the ACC, the best bowl and television draws are FSU, Clemson and Virginia Tech. After that, it's muddled, and depends on what we're measuring. For example, UNC is a little better TV draw than NC State, but NC State is a little better bowl draw than UNC. As I said, I think choosing UNC over NC State is logical (though it's not open and shut due to NC State's longterm demographic advantages). The only problem is that UNC won't come, in any scenario I expect to occur. They wouldn't come with Duke. They wouldn't come with Duke and UVa. They won't come to the SEC at all, because they think they are too good for the SEC. UVa has a similar mentality and isn't worth taking anyway. Those three - UNC, UVa and Duke - would prefer the Big 10, not because it is better in the ways that football fans focus on, but because their faculty would demand it.

VT as a historic rival for VMI is difficult to respond to except to say that it is not the case. UVa and VT were in the same conferences (SIAA and Southern) from 1907 until 1937. When the ACC was formed, UVa froze VT out of the conference. The year before Frank Beamer was hired, VT won 9 games including a Peach Bowl victory, so no, Beamer did not introduce the concept of college football at VT either.

Having said that, I will take some time to address the issues of "state namesake", endowment and academic rankings.

1 - "state namesake" - The Ohio Bobcats. The Ohio State Buckeyes. The Penn Quakers. The Penn State Nittany Lions. One size does not fit all.

2 - endowment - depends in part on a university's age. UNC and UVa are older than NCSU and Virginia Tech, particularly as top-level state universities. UNC opened in the 1790s. NCSU became a university around 1966. However, I am not sure why this matters other than as pertains to athletic support/viewership, or at least academic rankings (see below).

3 - US News & World Report rankings are not taken seriously in the academic world, for a long list of reasons. For example, they ding schools for lower graduation rates - this hurts tech-heavy schools and helps schools that embrace grade inflation. They take subjective opinions about the school from high school guidance counselors into account - which means you can literally move up the rankings via a good marketing campaign, or being a fixture in the NCAA Tournament with a reputation for "doing it the right way." This is not to say there is anything wrong with UNC or UVa. They are excellent schools. However, there's also nothing wrong with Virginia Tech and NC State. A couple of relevant links:

Academic Ranking of World Universities (one of the rankings that is taken seriously in the academic world):
http://www.arwu.org/Country2010Main.jsp?param=United States
UNC #30
UVa #52
NCSU #55-69
VT #70-89

I know that list looks a lot different than a USN&WR ranking - which is my point. Here is some info about ARWU:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academic_Ranking_of_World_Universities

Here is some real-world evidence that these rankings are more accurate than USN&WR's:
http://www.payscale.com/best-colleges/top-state-universities.asp
VT grads earn more than UVa grads. NCSU grads earn more than UNC grads. 1 - The differences are not that large. 2 - The Virginia schools both have higher salaries than the NC schools due to the influence of the DC market. 3 - VT and NCSU benefit due to having more technical majors. However, when NCSU and VT have higher-paid alumni on average, it is worth considering broad-strokes thoughts about "prestige" "power" and "money."

Please note that this section of my post is only here as a response. I don't think academic rankings have much to do with conference membership; or, to the extent that they do, I think it's a mistake. For instance, I think the ACC should have taken West Virginia instead of Syracuse. However, for those who do care about academic rankings, please use serious ones and not US News & World Report.

As a reminder (not directed specifically at anyone but I haven't said it in a while), I am an NCSU alum/fan who lives in northern Virginia. I have no particular rooting interest for VT, but the difference in football value is drastically different between VT and UVa.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think the important thing Krazy is pointing out is that he is not sold that VT has a fanbase that has staying power longterm. His argument appears to be that while UVA doesn't have as high of a ceiling they don't have as low of a floor either. They've built a fanbase much like Mississippi's where they come together for the party more than the football. They don't have a history of high-level competitiveness but they are the state's flagship university and they do garner a pretty high floor because of that fact. Furthermore, they have been more competitive in athletics across the board though some here have pointed out that they are mostly in sports the SEC doesn't even sponsor. At any rate, it does demonstrate that they can compete in sports where the revenue arms race is not as much of a factor much like Vandy's success in baseball and basketball.

Virginia Tech does pose some concerns regardless of how you value Virginia's worth to a conference like the SEC. They aren't highly accomplished in sports outside of football and their football heritage only traces back to the late 1990s. If it was clear that they are positioned to be relevant in football longterm, the decision would be easy. It is fair to argue that it may not last much longer than the Beamer regime.

Because Virginia is such a quandary, I've always felt that North Carolina [the state] was the better direction in this supposed debate by the SEC on east coast expansion choices. Across the board, the schools in that state compete better in the sports offered by the SEC. North Carolina has schools that perform much better overall in the two main revenue generators of television contracts (football and men's basketball). I don't think moves are really that concerned with basketball at this juncture but I don't think you can deny the overall revenue worth of UNC and Duke when you do consider basketball. I don't like NCST as a choice. It's like deciding to expand in Tennessee and adding Memphis.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Virginia's 18 national titles are nice, but most of them are in sports the SEC does not sponsor.
Good point, and likely part of the reason it would be difficult for the SEC to get Virginia. But, it does speak to the overall competence and health of their athletic department.

I think you're looking at things somewhat selectively because you like the names "North Carolina" and "Virginia" more than you like the names "North Carolina State" and "Virginia Tech."
I can't claim to be any sort of oracle, however, this is an issue I've toyed with over the years. As I gained information, I also adjusted my viewpoints. For instance, a couple years ago, I wouldn't have even considered Notre Dame as a potential member of the SEC. Not even for hypothetical scenarios. I argued for Texas A&M as soon as I realized their leaving the Big 12 was a possibility. Prior to any SEC rumors. Some claimed it was not possible, others claimed that any additions would mean less money for current SEC programs. I also argued for over a year prior, that Texas was bad for any conference and that if the SEC had wanted, they could have added both Texas A&M and Missouri and expressed frustrating that they had not.

This does not mean I'm right about anything else, but it did mean I had a grasp of the situation. I feel strongly that if the SEC added Virginia Tech and NC State as their final two programs, they would be ceding to the Big 10. No matter who they add, the average SEC team still will lose four conference games. But, academically, financially, and in terms of health of their athletic departments, both schools are clearly not #1 in their state. To let the clear #1 in each state go to the Big 10, can not be a victory in my eyes. I'd prefer NC State over NC+Duke, and I could see the balance in adding NC+VT, but I just can't see aiming for #2 when this would be the SEC's final move. This is nothing against either program mind you. This is evaluating them as to whether or not they are the best possible addition. If the SEC actually needed to improve in football I'd view everything quite differently. I am hung up on the athletic revenue aspects though. Had I looked that up and found things to be different, it would have altered my perspective. Virginia being so far ahead, without recent football success is indicative of deep roots.

Rather than go on, I endorse rgw's last post. He deciphered my message, and it's the cliff notes to my overly rhetorical explanation. My current position though, is as simple as this. The SEC should stand pat, unless they can actually hit the home run. There's no way Virginia, VT, Notre Dame, North Carolina, Duke, and NC State all join the Big 10. This means, if NC and Notre Dame are truly out of reach, the SEC need only wait.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I agree with Krazy that the SEC should stand pat with what they have. I will also mention that in terms of football relevance, FSU's success only exceeds VT's by a few years and I see little evidence that FSU will ever regain its relevance, so VT could likely follow the path of FSU post Beamer.

As for ND, UNC, Duke, and UVA; IMO you can forget any of them ever signing on with the SEC. I personally see some newly restructured version of the ACC. The new ACC would include remnants of the ACC and the Big East with the possibility of ND unless ND finally caves in and joins the Big 10.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.