Swimming Hires- Let Down

WaterWoman

1st Team
Nov 25, 2011
I know it is "only" swimming, but as a former swimmer, I am really disappointed in the new coaching staff. The new head coach is someone who hasn't formally coached in years, who turned around and hired his buddy who hasn't coached in years, his daughter (with minimal experience), and kept the current distance coach who has not produced an NCAA scoring athlete in his 5 year tenure.

We have the golf team winning an NCAA title. We have the gymnastics team winning an NCAA title. We are the National Championship football team. Arguably one of the best athletic departments in the nation should not revamp an entire coaching staff and not hire at least ONE person who has guided a kid to NCAAs in the last 15 years. What a disappointment. This is the weakest link in our athletic department, and it just got weaker.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
I may not be a serious fan of all Bama sports, I do root for all the teams to do well. And to hear they had an underwheling...to say the least...hire is disappointing. Sounds like Bama is giving the Swim team the same treatment as the baseball team.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
The program certainly will not be weaker. The new coach is the currently the Head British Olympic coach. Also Jonty Skinner has a very good resume and reputation in the swimming world. The key, as in all sports is..."can they recruit?".

WaterWoman

1st Team
Nov 25, 2011
I disagree. The Head of the British Olympic team does not formally coach any of the British athletes. He sets up training camps, selection procedures for teams, and handles a lot of the politics. Before that, he did the same thing in Australia. He has not coached on a pool deck for years. Neither has Jonty, and Jonty is best known for being a flop as the National Resident Team director over a decade ago. No one came name a single athlete that either of these guys have coached in a decade. Had they been successful coaches in the 90s, they would not have been on a 15 year sebatacle.

I tried to give Dennis the benefit of the doubt. At the very least, he should have targeted the best assistant coaches in the nation (or head coaches at top mid major colleges) for assistants. The fact that he quickly hired his buddy and daughter, while keeping the most underperforming coach on the current staff (also an old buddy of his) confirms that he is lacking the competitive drive to bring the best to Alabama. He didn't even bother writing a search ad for his new staff; just hired washed up old friends and his daughter. They don't hold a candle to the coaches from UGA, Florida, Auburn, and Tennessee who have produced current gold medallist, world/American record holders, and world ranked athletes.

Alabama is about relentlessly and meticulously working to be the best; the new head coach, just in his hires, confirms that he does not fall in line with Alabama's philosophy.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Will Battle do something about it? My daughter is a swimmer and I hate to see a good school not do what is necessary to be competitive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, so my fat fingers cause misspellings and autocorrect makes my ships into...

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
Apparently Coach Pursley is suspended for two meets for violating the 20 hour rule and for taking attendance at "voluntary" practices. He was caught doing the same thing last year and was warned.

Last edited:

BamaDynasty

Scout Team
May 9, 2003
Smyrna,GA,USA
Thanks for all the info WaterWoman. Over here in Atlanta it's hard (er) to cover all the sports I love. Coach Battle had the courage to make a change with WBB and it is immediately paying dividends. The overall atletic program is arguably at an all time high and Swimming needs to be part of this. What are your thoughts on the Natatorium??

With The Joe getting 100% rebuilt after this year, to me it seems like the Swim facility would certainly be next on the agenda. Thoughts??

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
Bama Mens Swimming Team finished 12th at the NCAA Championship! Best finish in years! Bama had an individual Champion in the 50 Free!

BamaDynasty

Scout Team
May 9, 2003
Smyrna,GA,USA
I have to say, in the pool, the swimming hires look pretty strong. Best NCAA finish in awhile and lots of promise going forward. Hope the new coaches can continue the improvement.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.