Today's Question: Do you remember your favorite book from childhood?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Mine was honestly the books of Calvin and Hobbes strips that were released. They were a huge part of my childhood.
^This. Most of those books I have on my bookshelf have covers worn off, pages yellowed and tattered on the edges, and dog eared page corners. They made many a long car trip from Alabama to Virginia quite pleasant.
My brother loves Calvin and Hobbes. I was at a yard sale this past weekend and found 7 different issues. He couldn't remember which ones he has, so I got all 7 for him and paid $3.50.

Probably my favorite book when I was a child is The Giving Tree.

I was a fan of the Matt Christopher books, too, because they were sports based.

exiledNms

Hall of Fame
Aug 2, 2002
Hattiesburg, MS (USA)
Various Curious George books, Mike Mulligan & the Steam Shovel, and Ferdinand. We used to make a weekly trip to the Library (Mom's a retired elementary school librarian), and I was forbidden from checking out the same ones twice in a row. Thus, I pretty much had one of these every other trip to the library. :)

When I was a bit older, it was probably a book about strange but true baseball stories. Don't recall the exact title.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
First, it was The Hardy Boys series (I still have 1-70 in hardback). Then there was "Johnny Tremain" and "Where the Red Fern Grows". Then I discovered science fiction, namely anything by Robert A. Heinlein.

From further back, I remember fondly Richard Scarry's Busytown books and Goldbug in particular.

Last edited:

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
First, it was The Hardy Boys series (I still have 1-70 in hardback). Then there was "Johnny Tremain" and "Where the Red Fern Grows". Then I discovered science fiction, namely anything by Robert A. Heinlein.

From further back, I remember fondly Richard Scarry's Busytown books and Goldbug in particular.
I had all but forgotten the Goldbug searches, I think I need to get that for the Grands.

Last edited:

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Probably made my mom read Pigs in Hiding to me a million times when I was little:

MegaVars

All-American
Nov 17, 2002
Warrior, AL.
"How I Know You're Gay" by rizolltizide
"I do not like wimmenz that's all there is,I do not like them, riz I iz."
"I do not like them in a hole, I do not like them on a pole"
"I do not like them in a bar, I do not like them in a car"
"I do not like wimmenz that's all there is, I do not like them riz I iz."
NTTAWWT. ;)

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
I read lots of all of the Encyclopedia Brown books and a bunch of kids books about sports between about six and nine years of age. Then I read Lucky Starr and the Moons of Jupiter. It was a part of a sci-fi series by Isaac Asimov written under the psuedonym Paul French because they were written for kids. For the next five or six years, almost everything I read for pleasure was science fiction.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
A lot of these already listed.

Tom Sawyer, Huck Finn, To Kill a Mockingbird, Goosebumps, The Hardy Boys, but one of my favorites was The Hobbit. We read it in the 8th grade, so maybe it doesn't necessarily count as "childhood."

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
"Wayside School is Falling down"
"Space Cadets: Jerks-in-training"

I know, wasn't into "deep thinking books" as a child, but those two books were my favorites. Truth be told, I still have them in my book collection.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
Hardy Boys
Tom Swift
Biographies; Babe Ruth, Sitting Bull, Various early explorers/Mountain Men, etc;sports fiction from the 40s and 50s.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.