News Article: UNC football players flocked to suspect class

Tide Warrior

All-American
Jun 7, 2009
Asheville, NC-Chapel Hill, NC
As an alum amd someone living in Chapel Hill currently it has always been a question that seems to get looked over. The majority of the BBall team if you look at their majors in the past all graduate with a degree in African Studies and most knew it was because of how the course was structured for the players.

pluckngrit

Suspended
Nov 2, 2003
as a person who lived in nc for a quite a few years this is like music to my ears.

the level of snobbery displayed by the blue blood acc teams (especially unc) is sickening. the only bullet left in their arsenal is the academic angle. now that's shot to ....

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
When the local media is the ones breaking the story, that is really bad. I hope something comes of it because of what the did to Butch Davis.

BUT I say you will NEVER see the death penalty again especially to the Blue Blood Snobs in NC.

Just look at AL getting Hammered for text books & South Carolina sliding on Hotelgate.

If you do not think there are different standards, I got a bridge for sale.

Tide Warrior

All-American
Jun 7, 2009
Blue Blood snobs. I am laughing. Mayne in BBall but sure not football. You guys crack me up. No offense I ahve never seen the level of arrogance I have seen from SEC football fans regarding their school.

In regards to B Davis he had his Nanny taking exams for his players and writing their papers. I am sorry he should not have gotten fired for that. the HC should no better and buck stops at the top. They were coming over to his house and giving her the assignments. Sorry his hands were all over that.

Also the textbook scandel was preceived by the NCAA as a financial benefit the academic fraud at UNC is not. The school will fire everyone involved with no questions asked. In regard to USC their past track record probably saved them any major punishment. If you go read the article about UA coming off probation our track record is not very good as of late.

Yes very different standards, one school that has stayed in trouble over the past 2 decades vs 2 others that have not until lately. UNC problem was hiring B Davis who was dirty long before he came to UNC.

The only arrogance I see here is a few fans that are making it sound like UA is innocent and treated wrongly. And yes before you go off and call me out and say I am not a true UA fan, I have a bridge for you to jump off.:)

PalmBayBama

All-SEC
Oct 11, 2005
Palm Bay, FL
I'm not so sure. The Barn skated because the joke courses were open to all students. It's pretty clear that these classes were set up exclusively for athletes.
The one class quoted in this thread gives that appearance, but there are 54 questionable classes identified overall. From the article:
Nancy Davis, a spokeswoman for the university, and Jonathan Hartlyn, a senior associate dean who oversees the African studies department and conducted the internal review, continued to stress that non-athletes also took the suspect classes and received the same treatment grade-wise. Records show 42 percent of the enrollments were non-athletes.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/06...s-flocked-to.html#storylink=cpy#storylink=cpy

Tide Warrior

All-American
Jun 7, 2009
UNC is just playing with fire at this point. I'm glad we are past our string of incidents and I hope we never go back.
I agree on the UA part, but the UNC has been an ongoing concern since what happened prior and the university was already investating concerns from the academic side about this professor and these classes catered to athletes.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
USC, Alabama, Ohio State... what good could any program that ran afoul of the NCAA be?
You tell me. How would the timing be if the SEC considered adding any program [no matter their past status] that is in such a mess? The fact that Bama as well as practically every program in the SEC has had issues with the NCAA would insure criticism from the national media.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Blue Blood snobs. I am laughing. Mayne in BBall but sure not football. You guys crack me up. No offense I ahve never seen the level of arrogance I have seen from SEC football fans regarding their school.

In regards to B Davis he had his Nanny taking exams for his players and writing their papers. I am sorry he should not have gotten fired for that. the HC should no better and buck stops at the top. They were coming over to his house and giving her the assignments. Sorry his hands were all over that.

Also the textbook scandel was preceived by the NCAA as a financial benefit the academic fraud at UNC is not. The school will fire everyone involved with no questions asked. In regard to USC their past track record probably saved them any major punishment. If you go read the article about UA coming off probation our track record is not very good as of late.

Yes very different standards, one school that has stayed in trouble over the past 2 decades vs 2 others that have not until lately. UNC problem was hiring B Davis who was dirty long before he came to UNC.

The only arrogance I see here is a few fans that are making it sound like UA is innocent and treated wrongly. And yes before you go off and call me out and say I am not a true UA fan, I have a bridge for you to jump off.:)
So Tar Heel fans can't be arrogant?:smile:

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Arrogance is usually prompted by people who overlook their own position for fear of what the truth may hold and quickly elevate their current status by enjoying someone elses misfortunes.:)
Actually, I'd say that arrogance is prompted by never having been called to answer for logical inconsistencies, and therefore never having had to suffer consequences for shortcomings.

UNC has gotten away with talking out of both sides for some time now. On the one hand, they're the down-home Ivy League. The southern state school that stands toe-to-toe with the academic big boys. On the other, they've been a basketball factory that has skated academically because their public face has always been an extended pinky, a well-placed sniff, and a tweed-encapsulated answer that is concise on the surface, but on reflection incomplete and misleading.

There are two issues here. On the first, the NCAA, they're likely to skate. As we know from Tennessee, the NCAA doesn't regulate academic standards. On the second, the holier-than-thou attitude of UNC in particular and the ACC in general, they'll take a hit.

They've definitively shown that the only difference between them and the SEC fans who wear jorts and t-shirts is that they dress better and can pronounce Pinot Noir without sounding like a pedophile.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Actually, I'd say that arrogance is prompted by never having been called to answer for logical inconsistencies, and therefore never having had to suffer consequences for shortcomings.

UNC has gotten away with talking out of both sides for some time now. On the one hand, they're the down-home Ivy League. The southern state school that stands toe-to-toe with the academic big boys. On the other, they've been a basketball factory that has skated academically because their public face has always been an extended pinky, a well-placed sniff, and a tweed-encapsulated answer that is concise on the surface, but on reflection incomplete and misleading.

There are two issues here. On the first, the NCAA, they're likely to skate. As we know from Tennessee, the NCAA doesn't regulate academic standards. On the second, the holier-than-thou attitude of UNC in particular and the ACC in general, they'll take a hit.

They've definitively shown that the only difference between them and the SEC fans who wear jorts and t-shirts is that they dress better and can pronounce Pinot Noir without sounding like a pedophile.
Hmmph. Two UA degrees - one a M.A. - and I had a hell of a nice Pinot on Friday night. At a French bistro.

Look - if any of us think that UNC isn't a first-rate school, we're in denial. Each school has its strengths, and UA has much of which to be very, very proud. That said, UNC has an overall academic reputation that has been, for a very long time, better than any SEC school save Vanderbilt. That is changing, thankfully, but let's not pretend that reality is something other than what it is.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Hmmph. Two UA degrees - one a M.A. - and I had a hell of a nice Pinot on Friday night. At a French bistro.

Look - if any of us think that UNC isn't a first-rate school, we're in denial. Each school has its strengths, and UA has much of which to be very, very proud. That said, UNC has an overall academic reputation that has been, for a very long time, better than any SEC school save Vanderbilt. That is changing, thankfully, but let's not pretend that reality is something other than what it is.
Two degrees myself. One an MBA. Also have the unusual perspective of having spent my freshman year in Chapel Hill. No, I didn't leave because of academics. I made Phi Eta Sigma, just so you know.

UNC has strengths. Humility isn't one of them. They brought this on themselves, and they have more in common with the jorts set than they'd like to admit...even to themselves.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Two degrees myself. One an MBA. Also have the unusual perspective of having spent my freshman year in Chapel Hill. No, I didn't leave because of academics. I made Phi Eta Sigma, just so you know.

UNC has strengths. Humility isn't one of them. They brought this on themselves, and they have more in common with the jorts set than they'd like to admit...even to themselves.
No doubt that the Tarheels may be an arrogant bunch. But as it concerns academic standing, it's not as though they're blowing smoke. I mean, Walker Percy went to UNC. Then again, didn't Gay Talese go to UA? Not bad either way.

That said, I do join you in enjoying a certain bit of schadenfreude over all of this.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
You tell me. How would the timing be if the SEC considered adding any program [no matter their past status] that is in such a mess? The fact that Bama as well as practically every program in the SEC has had issues with the NCAA would insure criticism from the national media.
If the SEC adds any program before the new TV deal that's plain stupid. I honestly don't see a point to seriously considering 16 teams until around 2015.

I've kept hearing that NC is above the SEC, well.... perhaps not. They're still the best athletic revenue generator in the state and that's unlikely to change, even if their football team gets hammered. They're far ahead of NC State, to the tune of 20 million in revenue. Do we honestly think this will change that? I don't know how far this goes, but the reality is when it's all said and done they're likely to be a top academic institution, and a top revenue generator. It's not like everyone in the state will suddenly start hating them. Look at the Penn St. mess, it was absolutely horrible, but the Big 10 didn't exactly kick them out now did they?

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I recall something I read in Moneyball. Billy Beane said in the book he turned down a baseball scholarship to Stanford to sign with the Mets out of high school. After his first season, he decided to go to Stanford on his own dime. His application was denied.

So when he was going to play ball, they wanted him there. But when he was just a regular student, he wasn't smart enough to get in. That was the last time I believed Stanford didn't compromise academics for athletics.

Tide Warrior

All-American
Jun 7, 2009

How will the ACC take a hit. UNC is not a football power and just like UA in football UNC is still a traditional powerhouse in BBall. Players will still come to play there no different at UA in football.

The difference between a school like UNC and UT is they will not tolerate the academic issues. Yes it got out of hand but the school will quickly rectify the situation. Unlike alot of schools in the SEC who would slap those involved on the wrist and move onto save their athletic programs. When it was investigated and found out that Butch Davis had his nanny doing his football player homework, papers, and tests, the school quickly fired him. That was after the concerns of the agent gate which was an athletic issue that they allowed the AD to handle while under investigation and allowed Davis to stay on. Once the issue with the nanny came out and it was an academic concern Davis was fired.

I can tell you the direction that this is going UNC will probably be letting a lot of people go and already reports that the AD may be in question for not monitoring the situation and UNC may be looking for a new AD. Does it hurt the academic reputation of the school, maybe but it only took place in about 1% of the academic side that seemingly catered to athletes but will no longer be a part of any department. And to sit on a high horse and assume that UA does not have classes that cater to athletes may be stretching a bit, because every school has them. Just like anyone that went to college can name professors that you signed up for because you knew their class was easy to pass and that had nothing to do with playing sports.

Tide Warrior

All-American
Jun 7, 2009

Students go to UNC yes for a 1st rate education. They do not go there for support of athletics as their main reason. People do not grow up in NC as a rabid fan of a sport and when college choices come only will apply to that one school. NC has its UNC vs Duke in BBall but it will not deter a person to decide on one over the other.

I never realized people from the SEC had so dispise for people in the ACC schools and actually find it amusing. An education is an education. Just because one decides to go to one school doe snot make them any different than anyone else from another school. And if you think UA fans have humility maybe I am blind.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.