Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    BamaNation All-American Tide Warrior's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: UNC football players flocked to suspect class

Quote Originally Posted by 4Q Basket Case View Post
    Two degrees myself. One an MBA. Also have the unusual perspective of having spent my freshman year in Chapel Hill. No, I didn't leave because of academics. I made Phi Eta Sigma, just so you know.

UNC has strengths. Humility isn't one of them. They brought this on themselves, and they have more in common with the jorts set than they'd like to admit...even to themselves.
    Students go to UNC yes for a 1st rate education. They do not go there for support of athletics as their main reason. People do not grow up in NC as a rabid fan of a sport and when college choices come only will apply to that one school. NC has its UNC vs Duke in BBall but it will not deter a person to decide on one over the other.

I never realized people from the SEC had so dispise for people in the ACC schools and actually find it amusing. An education is an education. Just because one decides to go to one school doe snot make them any different than anyone else from another school. And if you think UA fans have humility maybe I am blind.
    "Charlie Don't Surf"

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American Tide Warrior's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: UNC football players flocked to suspect class

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    I recall something I read in Moneyball. Billy Beane said in the book he turned down a baseball scholarship to Stanford to sign with the Mets out of high school. After his first season, he decided to go to Stanford on his own dime. His application was denied.

So when he was going to play ball, they wanted him there. But when he was just a regular student, he wasn't smart enough to get in. That was the last time I believed Stanford didn't compromise academics for athletics.
    No school has the same academic standards for sports like they do for the regular student body. If so why does the NCAA have a sliding scale for athletes to get cleared. Even Vandy has exemptions on case by case to allow athletes in who would not get in if they were just coming to be a student and not an athlete.
    "Charlie Don't Surf"