2013 Recruiting: *** California Long Snapper Cole Mazza Commits to Alabama ***

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Re: Calif. LS Cole Mazza

I'm surprised by this. We are reportedly tight on numbers, and we offer a long snapper?

Tide Warrior

All-American
Jun 7, 2009
Asheville, NC-Chapel Hill, NC

Is this a schlorship offer or just an offer to come to UA and play on the football team? Big difference.
According to reports it is a legit offer. He has a full scholarship offer to UCLA where he is currently commited to. The Rubio Kicking/LS group shows the offer as firm.

To be honest it is one position I would never think of for a scholarship, but it might be one of the most overlooked on a team for its important role it plays in every game.

Airborne Tider

All-American
Aug 2, 2008
Fort Benning

He's the first long snapper Nick Saban has ever offered a scholarship too. He was one week to decide. Supposedly he was dang near breaking fingers at camp with the zip on his ball. He snaps in the .5 to .6 second range.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

It might be the only position where we are not at least 3 deep/
This honestly might have more to do with it than anything else. If Saban is offering a long snapper, he probably feels pretty confident about most other positions. He's trying to find spots where he can upgrade, and apparently this is one of them. This Mazza guy is apparently the best in the class and could be the best in years. It's still weird though, and I kind of wonder if it's possible or even wise to use your long snapper as anything else? The kid is decent size, but like a kicker I guess you just want him doing the one task. This is when I hate the scholarship limit being so low.

For the record, the previous class he was only rated below two kids that took scholarships to LSU and Notre Dame respectively and they had a year of experience on him. So, if you're going to offer someone this has to be the guy. But, with the signing limits and the whole four year scholarship thing, it does make me nervous of course.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.