News Article: Pop Warner to limit practice contact

BamaFanTN

3rd Team
Mar 1, 2011
Melbourne, FL
I think this is great. With a three year old son that already likes playing football with me in the backyard, I will admit to being concerned about his long term health when considering him playing Pop Warner football. This will allow me to worry less and also be able to have my son participate in wonderful sport of football. I'll admit I would not have reacted the same way before I had a child but if we want to protect the sport we have to protect the players.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
The winningest coach in college football history, John Gagliardi, has no contact at his practices. Granted, he is Division III, but he mus be doing something right.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
The recent discoveries that "seeing stars" can be permanent injury imo is a huge threat to the game of football. It's like a hole in a dam and seeing that it has now reached the youngest children is not surprising. This is on a different scale than the implemented little league pitching rules of past, this is an attempt to save the sport as a whole. If I was a betting man I would put my money on Soccer reaping the benefits from parents of children that will now not allow them to participate in a sport that can permanently damage their child's brain. I would not be surprised to see the extremes of this medical development involving some parents declaring that allowing your kids to play football is endangering their long term health, which could lead to schools dropping the sports in reactionary fashion. Parents love to point fingers at other parents and I can see this happening.

This is going to be a fairly slow process, but football participation will decrease rapidly in the next couple of decades starting by class, with other more northern sports migrating down south to take football's place.

Of course they could change the rules of football, but that would result in a similar decline in popularity. I don;t believe they will ever develop a practical helmet that can protect against concussions.

Some may believe I am off the deep end here, but I have a strong gut feeling about this. Too many blows to the head for a mental picture :)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Terry Bradshaw was on Leno last night. He, as most know, has some mild cognitive dysfunction from concussions, although his wit is sharp as ever. He said that he would no way let a kid of his play football. He did say, however, that, if he had it to do over again, he would have followed the same path...

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
The recent discoveries that "seeing stars" can be permanent injury imo is a huge threat to the game of football. It's like a hole in a dam and seeing that it has now reached the youngest children is not surprising. This is on a different scale than the implemented little league pitching rules of past, this is an attempt to save the sport as a whole. If I was a betting man I would put my money on Soccer reaping the benefits from parents of children that will now not allow them to participate in a sport that can permanently damage their child's brain. I would not be surprised to see the extremes of this medical development involving some parents declaring that allowing your kids to play football is endangering their long term health, which could lead to schools dropping the sports in reactionary fashion. Parents love to point fingers at other parents and I can see this happening.

This is going to be a fairly slow process, but football participation will decrease rapidly in the next couple of decades starting by class, with other more northern sports migrating down south to take football's place.

Of course they could change the rules of football, but that would result in a similar decline in popularity. I don;t believe they will ever develop a practical helmet that can protect against concussions.

Some may believe I am off the deep end here, but I have a strong gut feeling about this. Too many blows to the head for a mental picture :)
It saddens me greatly, but you're right.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Terry Bradshaw was on Leno last night. He, as most know, has some mild cognitive dysfunction from concussions, although his wit is sharp as ever. He said that he would no way let a kid of his play football. He did say, however, that, if he had it to do over again, he would have followed the same path...
I wonder if Terry will get the same backlash as Kurt Warner did for saying the same thing?

bama backer

Scout Team
Sep 10, 2006
Citrus Springs, Fla
I have been blessed to be able to coach over ten years in Central Florida Pop-Warner Tackle Football and flag football two years prior. I personally feel that this is good step towards helping coaches spend more time on the proper technics and fundamentals of blocking and tackling. This rule of banning Full Speed (distance) Head-On contact drills is great also because in practices they can produce unnecessary hits. One of the biggest mistakes kids can make is dropping their heads (eyes) thru the tackle progression and they will do it over and over till their properly corrected (for some many times over reps,reps,reps). The great practices are how many mistakes you can identify and correct at game speed so as to limit them in games. This creates success which in turn creates fun and the confidence to do it again.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
it gets worse with every generation. when i was growing up and played baseball, our helmets didn't have football style masks. you didn't need a helmet to ride a freaking BICYCLE either. eventually you won't even be able to touch the quarterback anymore

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Don't think soccer is safe. I read somewhere that there are more brain injuries in soccer that in any other sport.
I would have to read a link. And this would have to be before the current revelations and lawsuits that the NFL has been hiding head trauma injuries.

Are concussions in HS and College Soccer common? I have never seen it. Bye the way, I despise soccer. I don't like sports were your most advanced limbs are not really used, makes no sense to me.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I would have to read a link. And this would have to be before the current revelations and lawsuits that the NFL has been hiding head trauma injuries.

Are concussions in HS and College Soccer common? I have never seen it. Bye the way, I despise soccer. I don't like sports were your most advanced limbs are not really used, makes no sense to me.
My nephew plays on his local HS soccer team. We went to watch a playoff game they were in and I have to say that though I'm not ready to go as far and say that soccer has the same risk of concussion as football. After watching a HS soccer game for the first time in my life I have to say that it is A LOT more of a "contact sport" than I ever thought. To the point where I can see how concussions could easily happen.

bama backer

Scout Team
Sep 10, 2006
Citrus Springs, Fla
I would say that the risk vs. rewards of playing football for kids these days health wise is far better than vs. the ones that do not play (obesity). You can see it at the start of every football season (Pop Warner conditioning week) whereas a lot kids have been in the indoor air conditioning and need to get accumulated to the heat as well as the physical demands. Please note that when talking about concussions, Football is not the only youth sport that has them.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
My nephew plays on his local HS soccer team. We went to watch a playoff game they were in and I have to say that though I'm not ready to go as far and say that soccer has the same risk of concussion as football. After watching a HS soccer game for the first time in my life I have to say that it is A LOT more of a "contact sport" than I ever thought. To the point where I can see how concussions could easily happen.
"Headers" are a big problem, and, for some, reason, girls' soccer is at much higher risk...

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
You know I disagree with the no contact drills. I coached youth football the last 6 years and if you don't teach the kids 1) the proper technique to tackle or "hit" and 2) don't practice it fairly routinely (say once a week), how are the kids expected to make a tackle in a game or better yet over come the fear of getting hit during the game or hitting during the game?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.