Now this is really frustrating...

JoJoforHeisman

All-American
Dec 7, 2000
Birmingham
diamondtide.tidefans.com
Getting it Dunn: First-year LSU pitching coach Alan Dunn throws strikes

Alan Dunn, as you may know, is a Gadsden native and was the ace of Alabama's 1983 staff. LSU's pitching improved remarkably in just one season under Dunn, who arrived in Baton Rouge after 19 years coaching in the professional ranks.

Dunn would have made a perfect addition to our staff, had anyone even bothered to consider his availability and what he might bring to the table. He's a former player (which should never be a factor anyway) and most importantly, actually qualified for the job. Now, we have to watch one of our own leading the pitching staff of a hated conference rival.

Love the Ping

All-SEC
Jun 15, 2005
It's hard for me to feel too frustrated by that. I mean, I agree with you in principle, but I don't know that Dunn, even as a native of the state, would have left his job in the pros to come to Alabama. LSU is at the top of the college baseball world in terms of commitment to winning and resources. I'm sure that was not at all lost on Dunn.

You do have to applaud Maneri for actually putting some thought and effort into his hires, though.

JoJoforHeisman

All-American
Dec 7, 2000
Birmingham
diamondtide.tidefans.com
Strangely enough, Dunn inquired about an opening at Alabama first...but Andy had just been hired. Terrible timing.

But yes, you're exactly right - LSU is at the pinnacle of college baseball, and all things being equal, no coach would choose our program over theirs. Ten, fifteen years ago that wouldn't have been the case, but as the rest of the SEC has advanced, we've been left in the dust.

Last edited:

bench

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 27, 2011
Strangely enough, Dunn inquired about an opening at Alabama first...but Andy had just been hired. Terrible timing.

But yes, you're exactly right - LSU is at the pinnacle of college baseball, and all things being equal, no coach would choose our program over theirs. Ten, fifteen years ago that wouldn't have been the case, but as the rest of the SEC has advanced, we've been left in the dust.
my dog has fleas - lets fire a coach. a year of whinning is enough don't you think.
why don't we take what we got and work hard for a good year next year. i mean if you had any pull you'd still have yo job.

heathco9

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 25, 2010
bench, you can work as hard as you want, but if you cant fill out a lineup card , you will not win. TOO MUCH FAVORITISM does not work.

JoJoforHeisman

All-American
Dec 7, 2000
Birmingham
diamondtide.tidefans.com
bench, where in this thread does anyone mention firing? The point was that we could have had a top-notch pitching coach, but Gaspard opted to surround himself with a staff that had zero experience. Capable assistant coaches are critical to a team's success. We wouldn't have had the success we had in the late 90's without Gaspard and Butler. Hiring Dandy Phillips and reassigning Dax Norris was an indefensibly dumb decision by Gaspard, and the results have been predictably terrible.

BAMASHAQ

Scout Team
Feb 20, 2006
Thanks JoJo. Let me get this straight. We let the pitching coach go still trying to find out why we let him go (a good one) so we could hire a hitting coach with no experiance and let a catcher coach the pitchers (ojt) Now here it is the kicker Alan Dunn calls and wants to be the pitching coach and we say no. Wow! Maybe the staff figured he wouldn't be a good fit because he might not let them listen to rap music or he might make them cut their hair or get this or he might toughen them up a little bit might work them too hard. Good Lord. I can't take much more!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.