It's Official: College Football Going to a Seeded 4 Team Playoff

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
Not off topic. Playoffs and college football overtime are similar concepts.

I wanted to see if there was consistency from those who oppose a playoff and their feelings on overtime.
LOL!!!

How about consistency between those who don't like the current rules on Pass Interference vs. P_ayoffs??? LOL!!!

Apples and those other things...... ;)

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
You are absolutely correct. In a one game championship BYU would have had a good chance to have won it all as we know Utah beat Bama in '08 to all of our horrors! I had no problem with them winning it that year but years like that were an anomaly unlike today in the day of NCAA mandated parity. For all we know Utah, (which was undefeated unlike Florida or Oklahoma) could have beaten either of those schools in a one game championship. Utah is in the PAC 12 and they have a chance to get to the championship game now though. BYU got lucky that year for the reasons you mentioned but unless they can beef up their schedule tremendously I wouldn't look for them back in the discussion anytime soon! ;)
Wow... This is rich...... BYU wouldn't have had an ice-cube's chance in Hades against any of the (Legit) Top 3-5 teams going into the bowls. No one wanted to play them in a bowl because no one wanted to accept the TINY PAYOUT in the Holiday Bowl, which BYU was CONTRACTUALLY OBLIGATED TO APPEAR IN.
Even back in 1984, it was all about the MONEY....

Now fast forward to 2008. Utah!! Yes, MIGHTY UTAH!! Who beat a SNOOZING Alabama team, playing without Andre Smith (he contracted "Agent Flu" if memory serves....), in a game NO ONE on our team wanted to play in .....

In a game that mattered, Alabama, Florida, OU, USCw OR Texuss would probably have ROUTED them.

Utah 2008 was the "UCF 2017" of that season. ;)

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
In a game that mattered, Alabama, Florida, OU, USCw OR Texuss would probably have ROUTED them.

Preach it brother.
That Utah game sticks in my craw because Bama got the syndrome of "Aw, shucks, nobody wants to play these guys. If we win, everyone will say, 'Big whoop. You beat Utah.' If they win, everyone will say, 'Giant-killers! Unprecedented!'"
Same as the Barn and UCF. Play that game for something that matters and the Barn would have crushed them.

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
Wow... This is rich...... BYU wouldn't have had an ice-cube's chance in Hades against any of the (Legit) Top 3-5 teams going into the bowls. No one wanted to play them in a bowl because no one wanted to accept the TINY PAYOUT in the Holiday Bowl, which BYU was CONTRACTUALLY OBLIGATED TO APPEAR IN.

Now fast forward to 2008. Utah!! Yes, MIGHTY UTAH!! Who beat a SNOOZING Alabama team, playing without Andre Smith (he contracted "Agent Flu" if memory serves....), in a game NO ONE on our team wanted to play in .....

Yep.....thanks to the face mask penalty levied on Hightower on 3rd down which gave Tebow new life. I think we win that game if not for that penalty. I think that game broke our hearts. Still should have beaten Utah....but no excuses. We got our collective butts kicked. Fair and square. Shouldn't have but did.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Wow... This is rich...... BYU wouldn't have had an ice-cube's chance in Hades against any of the (Legit) Top 3-5 teams going into the bowls.
The thing is, we don't know that. BYU opened the next year against three teams ranked in the final 1984 Top 20 - Boston College, UCLA, and Washington. They won 2 of the 3 at home and lost the road game to UCLA by three. Of course, the comeback is, "Oh, but those teams weren't as good in 1985 as they were in 1984 except for UCLA." That's true - but BYU wasn't as good the next year, either.

There is NO QUESTION BYU was a good team. In 1982, when UGA was at the heights of Vince Dooley's career with Heisman winner Herschel Walker, BYU went on the road to Georgia in humid September and lost, 17-14. BYU led, 14-7, with only six minutes left in the game.

It's one thing to say BYU played a soft schedule in 1984, which is true, but it's not fair to say they weren't a very good team during much of LaVell Edwards' tenure as head coach because they were.

No one wanted to play them in a bowl because no one wanted to accept the TINY PAYOUT in the Holiday Bowl, which BYU was CONTRACTUALLY OBLIGATED TO APPEAR IN.
Well, duh, it's always been about the money. Part of why we can't eliminate some of the useless bowls is money.

I don't disagree with this assessment, but it doesn't say much about our team or coaching staff in these situations, either. We didn't have any trouble getting ready for Michigan St in 2010 after the heartbreaking loss at home to Auburn - and the Cap One Bowl meant nothing at all. It'***** or miss on this issue.

I agree with this, too; it's no accident that the moment Texas Cash Unlimited and Utah joined major conferences, they ceased to have unbeaten seasons.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I still maintain that the playoff was created to prevent 2 teams from the same conference getting in. The only problem was the committee just didn’t do what those screaming for a playoff actually wanted. They instead actually followed the rules they established.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Just saw yesterday Jim Harbaugh pushing for a 16 team playoff. I guess since he can never beat Ohio State and thus never win the B1G he feels he needs another way to qualify for the playoff. Having 16 teams would be a disaster since anyone in the Top 5 would still make the playoff easily even if they lose their last regular season game, so it would make that game meaningless except for bragging rights.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Just saw yesterday Jim Harbaugh pushing for a 16 team playoff. I guess since he can never beat Ohio State and thus never win the B1G he feels he needs another way to qualify for the playoff. Having 16 teams would be a disaster since anyone in the Top 5 would still make the playoff easily even if they lose their last regular season game, so it would make that game meaningless except for bragging rights.
Probably gets a bonus if they make the playoff so hes trying to change the rule so he can collect

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Always remind your illogical brethren that complaining about "didn't win their conference championship" is directly contradictory to "we should have
an eight-team playoff."

Pilot172000

1st Team
Sep 25, 2017
Winnsboro, LA
I have no problem with an 8 team playoff and I don't always feel like the best team in the country will always win their conference. But what I must concede is that once we go to an 8 team playoff, there will be another slough of complaints and arguments for something else. Every time we make changes, somebody complains and its usually because the of the SEC.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I have no problem with an 8 team playoff and I don't always feel like the best team in the country will always win their conference. But what I must concede is that once we go to an 8 team playoff, there will be another slough of complaints and arguments for something else. Every time we make changes, somebody complains and its usually because the of the SEC.
But your position is at least CONSISTENT. And while I disagree with the eight-team that's fine.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Totally funny!

If he can't beat OSU, how does he think he will fare against fourteen other of the best of CFB...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.