Tejas Fans Still Bitter?

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I had to ejuhmuhkate a couple of fools I work with on the whole "if Colt didn't get hurt" issue. Besides the obvious retorts, I had to join in the what if game a little and ask them a few questions, one of which was:

What makes you think Colt would have made it through the game even if he hadn't been hurt on that play?
I tell all the Texas fans here that Colt was a wimp. McElroy played the whole game with two cracked ribs, Colt just had a stinger. That shuts them up real fast. Then I rub it in and say, "Our Texas QB was tougher than yours." They just walk away after that.

Last edited by a moderator:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
What was so ironic about what this guy was saying was the statement "Texas was about to be up 10-0 just like that." Like others have said, he didn't score a touchdown on the first drive, so why should we assume he would on the second?

The way the guy was praising this year's team was ridiculous. I finally had to turn the car off and go inside.

smilinc

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 9, 2006
I live in Waco...for all the bragging the horn fans have done over the years..prior to the Ala. game they
were real quiet to me, always dressed in Bama gear. After the game, the same...no disrespect for us..some excuses
about Colt... the facts are we took their manhood as we did the Gators and neither program has been the same...wonder
how getting killed by Bama is going to effect LSU? RAMMER JAMMER!

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
I would like to ask the gentleman how much money he put on Texas. If he knew for sure Texas was going to win why didn't he bet the farm?

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Forgot to mention---If every QB finished every game UTw wouldn't have been in Pasadena.

They just about lost to Oklahoma, even though Sam Bradford got hurt in the first quarter. If he'd played the whole game, their chances would have been roughly zero.

bamaslaw

All-SEC
Jan 16, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I went to Austin for the Aussie Rules national tournament last year and got a little bit of "If Colt hadn't gotten hurt", but it was usually with a wink and laugh. I think most of them are over it, and say it to give us a little good natured ribbing.

As always, there are others that will not let it go...

Sabine Free Sta

BamaNation Citizen
Jul 3, 2012
I arrived in Dallas yesterday for a 5 day job in Longview. I'll be 2 hrs from Dallas an an hour from Shreveport. My hard hat has 4 stickers: my name, my company, a small quarter-sized script A on the front, and the same sticker on the back. We'll see how it goes. ;)

Plus, when I'm off site, either one of two BAMA caps I brought will be on my head. Someone's gotta say something!
They will likely say something but it may not always be what you expect. There are plenty of anti-longhorn types in Texas. When I was in Houston after the '09m championship I heard lots of positives. Many from A&M fans....

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
McCoy's statement, I believe to his father, was that he was reading our defense and knew exactly what we were doing.

I have no reason to doubt that perhaps he was reading our defense and perhaps he was seeing something that he felt that he could exploit. We've seen instances where our defense gave up a big play or two early and then Saban and Smart made adjustments and the gate slammed shut. In fact, I wouldn't doubt that our defense may play very basic and perhaps even a bit sloppily off the bat in order to get their opponent to tip their hand a bit. It's a feint that coordinators may deem to be worth the risk.

If an offensive coordinator thinks that the defense is going to allow him to run his preferred game plan, he's going to put it into effect. Once a defensive coordinator knows what the opposing offense really wants to do and if he has the athletes to do it, he can make his adjustments and force the opponent to fall back on plan B. That often means that the offense isn't playing to its strengths, it may have to run plays that it isn't as familiar with, and it may even hurt their morale a bit.

It wouldn't be entirely out of the question for a defense to goad a gunslinger like McCoy into throwing an interception due to a bit of overconfidence.

In any case, if Colt McCoy thought that he would pass against our defense with impunity and that no adjustments would be made to address gaps in the defense then he must have forgotten who was stalking the opposing sideline.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
They usually look the other way, when I am wearing Bama gear. The look of disdain on their faces suggests "Where do all these Bama folks come from? If Bama is so great, why don't you move back there?" (A sentiment usually reserved for folks from the wrong side of the Mason-Dixon line. But entails all fer'ners, in tough times.)

But, to answer their question, one word: telecom.

LCN

FB | REC Moderator
Sep 29, 2005
I find great humor in their delusion because if you take the entire game into account it was the sloppiest and most mistake prone game Alabama played all season :D

Dallas4Bama

Suspended
Sep 27, 2006
Dallas, Texas
only as passionate as 'being high' allows. Far too mellow.....
Fixed it for you!

I don't hear anything about it anymore. Every once in a while I have one say they wish colt hadn't got hurt because it would have been a different game. I am willing to admit they would have had a better chance, so I don't have a problem with that statement. Honestly, there isn't a BAMA fan out there that didn't immediately feel better about our odds of winning once it was clear he wasn't going to return.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I tell all the Texas fans here that Colt was a wimp. McElroy played the whole game with two cracked ribs, Colt just had a stinger. That shuts them up real fast. Then I rub it in and say, "Our Texas QB was tougher than yours." They just walk away after that.
He didn't get the nickname 'Cart McCoy' for nothing...

RollTideMang

All-American
Oct 16, 2009
St. Louis, MO
I find great humor in their delusion because if you take the entire game into account it was the sloppiest and most mistake prone game Alabama played all season :D
I don't know if I'd say it was the sloppiest. I think that would be reserved either for the UTe or the AU game.

banjeaux

All-American
Jun 6, 2007
Slidell, Louisiana
I've lived here for three years and no one has ever said that to me. I walked in the grocery store the day after the game, wearing my very bright sweatshirt. A Crimson shirt with huge letters across the front spelling BAMA. You couldn't miss me! One man talked to me, congratulating me on the win, saying Mack Brown was whiny, etc. He was an Aggie though. One duo of women saw me, I saw one of them look at me and bump the other to get her attention. I acted like I didn't see it but I did :) In all the years of wearing my Bama clothes, no one has ever said that to me. I think they know better! Some non Texas fans have mentioned it, I always say Colt had not had a good year, stumbled in all of his big games that year, backed their way into the game and he did not play on defense, therefore he would not have stopped our TWO rushers who put up over 100 yards. The kids have said that it's all they heard at school though.
Carol, former Bama Coach Gene Stallings lives just up the road from Paris, on his ranch at Powderly. He and wife, Ruth Ann, attend church in Paris. If I lived in Paris, I'd visit a few Sundays in hopes of seeing him for a short chat or more.

A week after A-Day game 2007, I saw him in Covington LA. His eyes lit up and he called me over, when he saw my vintage script A cap. He is always gracious and likes to see Bama fans. August 2nd marks the 4th anniversary of son John Mark's death.

Oh! Get you a copy (hardcover preferred) of his story, Another Season, and ask him to autograph: http://www.amazon.com/Another-Season-Coachs-Raising-Exceptional/dp/0316056529

Life on the Ranch
Gene Stallings may live in Texas, but he's taken a piece of Alabama with him.

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060907/TMAG01/60901002/1138

Perhaps, I should start a thread on Coach Stallings. :BigA:

Last edited:

Dallas4Bama

Suspended
Sep 27, 2006
Dallas, Texas
Carol, former Bama Coach Gene Stallings lives just up the road from Paris, on his ranch at Powderly. He and wife, Ruth Ann, attend church in Paris. If I lived in Paris, I'd visit a few Sundays in hopes of seeing him for a short chat or more.

A week after A-Day game 2007, I saw him in Covington LA. His eyes lit up and he called me over, when he saw my vintage script A cap. He is always gracious and likes to see Bama fans. August 2nd marks the 4th anniversary of son John Mark's death.

Oh! Get you a copy (hardcover preferred) of his story, Another Season, and ask him to autograph: http://www.amazon.com/Another-Season-Coachs-Raising-Exceptional/dp/0316056529

Life on the Ranch

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060907/TMAG01/60901002/1138

God bless little Johnny, he is missed. I will never forget how excited he got when I stopped by the ranch one day. When I pulled up to the barn and stepped out of my truck in an Alabama cap Johnny's eyes lit up and he smiled from ear to ear. "Roll Tide" he said as I walked over to him on his little cart he drove. I've still never seen anything like the way both of their eyes lit up when they looked at each other. There's no question coach loved Johnny with all his heart and there's no question that not only did Johnny love his dad, but "pops" was his hero and his world.

Carol91670

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 1, 2002
Paris, Texas, United States

Life on the Ranch

Yes, they do. I see Coach and Ruth Ann all the time. They are the sweetest, most humble people. I've had them over for dinner and I've been to their home as well. They took us on a tour of their ranch and it is stunning. They showed us Johnny's grave and told us an amazing story: The day they buried Johnny, they were sitting out there by his grave and Ruth Ann looked up and saw that the tree branches and leaves were formed in the shape of an elephant. They stretched over the highway a little, as though it was watching over his resting place. Ruth Ann said she burst out laughing when she saw it, she'd never noticed it before and it's not there now. They ran in the house for a camera and took pictures of it. I saw those pictures and it was AMAZING! An elephant made of leaves and tree branches were watching over Johnny's grave!

I only know them because I attend church with them. It gives you pause when you're sitting in the Chinese restaurant and Coach Stallings stops by your table to say hi.

Carol91670

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 1, 2002
Paris, Texas, United States
God bless little Johnny, he is missed. I will never forget how excited he got when I stopped by the ranch one day. When I pulled up to the barn and stepped out of my truck in an Alabama cap Johnny's eyes lit up and he smiled from ear to ear. "Roll Tide" he said as I walked over to him on his little cart he drove. I've still never seen anything like the way both of their eyes lit up when they looked at each other. There's no question coach loved Johnny with all his heart and there's no question that not only did Johnny love his dad, but "pops" was his hero and his world.
Johnny passed away before we moved so I never got to meet him. Coach told us some good stories about Johnny but I'd have loved to meet him myself.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.