Aggies/Tigers of Missouri take two different approaches at media day.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
"People talk about how good SEC defenses are, but they don't take into account how good Big 12 offenses are," said Moe, who received a standing ovation from media members for being so candid while answering their questions.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/notebook/_/page/2012SECmediadays1/sec-media-days-2012

Looks like Missouri and aTm took two different approaches at media day regarding their thoughts on coming into the SEC. Texas aTm took a more respectful, humble approach while Missouri took a "we're really not that worried about it" approach. LOL!

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Re: Aggies/Tigers of Missouri take two different approaches to at media day.

Yeah. I honestly don't think anyone at Missouri much wanted to come to the SEC. They don't really respect this conference from an academic standpoint, or an athletic one really. I think it's probably pretty true that they would have rather joined the Big Ten. Now, I'm not talking about their fans. I'm talking about the administration. I do think they are going to be somewhat disappointed when the games start and they realize the difference in the competition. They stated yesterday that the Big 12 just put all their most talented athletes on offense while the SEC put them on defense. That's not really true. We put people in the NFL from both sides of the ball pretty equally.

Missouri's saving grace is that they're in the East, which is down right now.

But Texas A&M's people from the administration on down were all excited to move to the SEC. They fit much more than Missouri does.

MBA_99

1st Team
Jan 11, 2010
A, A

Just save this thread for after they've played 4-6 SEC teams. We'll fill it with links to excuses from their posters trying to resolve their dissonance about the beatdowns. I honestly don't know how they will do that.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

Yeah. I honestly don't think anyone at Missouri much wanted to come to the SEC. They don't really respect this conference from an academic standpoint, or an athletic one really. I think it's probably pretty true that they would have rather joined the Big Ten. Now, I'm not talking about their fans. I'm talking about the administration. I do think they are going to be somewhat disappointed when the games start and they realize the difference in the competition. They stated yesterday that the Big 12 just put all their most talented athletes on offense while the SEC put them on defense. That's not really true. We put people in the NFL from both sides of the ball pretty equally.

But Texas A&M's people from the administration on down were all excited to move to the SEC. They fit much more than Missouri does.
This is about what I was told as well from a Kansas Jayhawk fan I know. He said of the Big 12 teams, Kansas and Missouri are the two fanbases/schools that really don't have much respect for the SEC on any level. He said this move was about money and only money and they figured they had to jump ship since the Big Ten didn't extend them an invite. But he told me that one thing we'd notice about Missouri fans real quick was that they're a fanbase will brag about how great they are but yet has never won much of anything. I laughed, but I'll guess we'll see.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

This is about what I was told as well from a Kansas Jayhawk fan I know. He said of the Big 12 teams, Kansas and Missouri are the two fanbases/schools that really don't have much respect for the SEC on any level. He said this move was about money and only money and they figured they had to jump ship since the Big Ten didn't extend them an invite. But he told me that one thing we'd notice about Missouri fans real quick was that they're a fanbase will brag about how great they are but yet has never won much of anything. I laughed, but I'll guess we'll see.
True. They've been a decent program for the past several years. But let's be honest. They haven't won a conference title since 1969. They're not going to waltz into this league and win it. It took South Carolina 19 years to play for the SEC title and they got destroyed in that game. Arkansas has played for it several times, but they've lost every time.

I wish that both schools were thrilled to be here but I just don't get that vibe from Missouri. And I think it's a darn shame they left the Big 12 if they felt that way. That was their home, they fit there, they had a century of history there. Texas A&M had a multitude of reasons to leave, and their true home, the SWC, was destroyed nearly 20 years ago. So it made sense for them to bolt. Not so much with Missouri. Oh well. What's done is done. As you say, we'll have to see how it goes.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California

I guess winning 6 straight BCSNCG and possibly 7 this year hasn't change their perception, huh??

not to mention, Bama winning the NCAA Women's Gymnastics, Softball, and Ladies Golf Championship.

some fan bases can't see the forest because of the trees...:conf3:

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa

I never thought that Missouri was a good fit from day 1. I was not excited about them coming in at all. I thought Clemson was a much better fit. Heck West Virginia, or Virginia Tech would have been a better fit than Missouri.

They will be ready to go to the Big 10 as soon as they realize that they in way over their head. Missouri would be a much better fit as an also ran in the Big 10.

pluckngrit

Suspended
Nov 2, 2003

i think this translates to the fanbases as well. from when the move was announced up until now, if you've read the boards and heard the airwaves, the general consensus was that a&m was thrilled to be asked to join the sec. missouri has been kind of stand-offish and they continually harp on the big-12 and offense.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere

This year will be a great barometer on judging the differences between big12 vs sec defenses. Missouri should show us all what we have been thinking for years, the sec plays defense week in and week out. Lets see how their great offense does for the eight game conference schedule.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

The condescension issue with Missouri goes far beyond football. About seven years ago, There was a BRAC move by the army that resulted in thousands of people from there being transferred to Huntsville. Now, I hate to generalize - and I have a number of friends originally from MO - but a lot of those people had lousy, resentful attitudes, and it had to do with "looking down" on the South, and Alabama in particular. Most people, not all, who have to move to Huntsville end up really liking it, but not those people. In fact, a lot of them moved back to MO as soon as they could find a job there or retired. One title lawyer told me that he ended up throwing one couple out of his office, they were so obnoxious about detesting Alabama during their house closing. OTOH, the people from northern VA who've been moving in with the latest BRAC seem to have a wonderful attitude, completely different from the folks from MO...

Crimson1963

Apr 4, 2012
Bristow, VA
Well I think there is a huge difference from a couple of college kids getting up before a group of reporters and spouting off about this and that like boys will do and when fall comes and those pads start popping in the south every weekend. We will see, talk is cheap.

motigers

Oct 13, 2011
I don’t have time right now to refute everything said in here but it sounds like many of you are basing your opinion of Missouri on stereotypes, anecdotal evidence, sound bites taken out of context, and worst of all - the words of a filthy jayhawker!

I can tell you unequivocally that the university, fanbase, and entire state is extremely excited about joining the SEC. When it was announced last fall that the SEC might be a possibility for Mizzou, the administration was flooded with emails from students, alumni, and fans to make the move. There was a huge grassroots movement to not just get out of the B12 but in particular to move to the SEC. This did not happen when the rumors were that the Big 10 was the potential move.

Since the move was made official, demand for tickets and donations have gone through the roof. The university just announced a single donation of $30 million and immediate facility upgrades in the amount of $200 million with the promise of much more after that. I do not believe any of this happens if we were to go to the Big 10 and certainly wouldn’t if we stayed in the Bevo 12.

Are there some academics and administrators who would have preferred the Big 10? Sure, the research dollars and resources that come along with being a member of the CIC would certainly cause those types of folks to prefer the Big 10 over any other conference. But I can tell you that throughout the state, on talk radio, on message boards, and in everyday conversations, there is a buzz about Mizzou athletics that I have never experienced before. To say we are not excited is simply false.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
This shows what I've always said to be true--Missouri does not align itself with the South and are very midwestern in their culture. This alone always made them an odd fit for the SEC to me. Even Pinkel kept rambling on yesterday in his Q/A segment about how they would basically not be making many adjustments and kept bragging about the old Big 12. Somebody needs to tell him that he's in the SEC now....

CrimsonCrusade

1st Team
Nov 9, 2011
Cookeville, TN
As I have said from the beginning, neither of these teams belong in the SEC and both will be crushed in conference play. That said, Missouri is both a far worse team and fit for the SEC than Texas A&M is.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
I don’t have time right now to refute everything said in here but it sounds like many of you are basing your opinion of Missouri on stereotypes, anecdotal evidence, sound bites taken out of context, and worst of all - the words of a filthy jayhawker!

I can tell you unequivocally that the university, fanbase, and entire state is extremely excited about joining the SEC. When it was announced last fall that the SEC might be a possibility for Mizzou, the administration was flooded with emails from students, alumni, and fans to make the move. There was a huge grassroots movement to not just get out of the B12 but in particular to move to the SEC. This did not happen when the rumors were that the Big 10 was the potential move.

Since the move was made official, demand for tickets and donations have gone through the roof. The university just announced a single donation of $30 million and immediate facility upgrades in the amount of $200 million with the promise of much more after that. I do not believe any of this happens if we were to go to the Big 10 and certainly wouldn’t if we stayed in the Bevo 12.

Are there some academics and administrators who would have preferred the Big 10? Sure, the research dollars and resources that come along with being a member of the CIC would certainly cause those types of folks to prefer the Big 10 over any other conference. But I can tell you that throughout the state, on talk radio, on message boards, and in everyday conversations, there is a buzz about Mizzou athletics that I have never experienced before. To say we are not excited is simply false.
I think both schools are great additions. I agree about not paying attention to Jayhawk fans and suggest you do the same in regards to Auburn fans. I'm excited about the coming season and looking forward to the game in Columbia.

Last edited:

motigers

Oct 13, 2011
As I have said from the beginning, neither of these teams belong in the SEC and both will be crushed in conference play. That said, Missouri is both a far worse team and fit for the SEC than Texas A&M is.
What is your definition of "far worse"? Is it based on results of actual football games? Because over the past decade, Missouri is 5-1 against A&M including beating them in College Station the past two years.

Yes, you would think that A&M would be a lot better than Mizzou given their fertile recruiting area and larger budget, but in the recent past Mizzou has done much more with less. I believe that along with the benefits of being in the best conference in the land as well as the Missouri administration's increased support of athletics (which has not always been the case) Mizzou will be in a position to build the program to SEC standards. It may not be immediate, but in time Mizzou will compete in the SEC.

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA

And this (in bold) really cracks me up. When you hear people talk about the finer institutes of higher learning, i've never once heard mention of the University of Missouri. I'm sure it's as fine a school as any, but it's certainly no Stanford, John's Hopkins, Duke, or Vanderbilt. For them to look down their noses at SEC schools, there's a problem somewhere.

motigers

Oct 13, 2011

And this (in bold) really cracks me up.
As it should, since it isn't true. I would like to see examples of Missouri fans or officials disparaging the SEC's academic reputation.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.