2013 TE Josh McNeil no longer considered an Alabama commit (Page 5 for details)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tide Warrior

All-American
Jun 7, 2009
Asheville, NC-Chapel Hill, NC
Re: ***2013 TE Josh McNeil commits to Alabama***

From Watts:

Nobody knew about McNeil. This all happened really fast and in a hurry this week. It was unexpected and unfortunate. I talked to my LSU guys just a little while ago and they confirmed again that there is no way McNeil can be SEC eligible at mid-year. His transcript won't allow it. And he's insisting on being mid-year guy. He's in a tough position.

What happens from here is up to him. I'm still waiting to hear if he's ok to still sign with someone for 2013 class.

BTW it was LSU's people that found the error on his transcript per BOL.

DurdenTider

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2011
Mobile, AL

That's really disappointing b/c UA could really use a blocking TE in this class not to say UA still can't get one but it's pretty late in the game. Don't understand why he still couldn't be apart of the 2013 class just not an EE especially if he can't EE anywhere in the SEC?

Tide Warrior

All-American
Jun 7, 2009

This may be a Alfy Hill type of situation. Before he went to prep school that was an issue with his transcripts and a core class from where he transferred to his charter school. He may have thrown up a redflag and the staff does not want a repeat of Hill.

I also wonder if we will go after E Robinson. The AU commit now. There was interest there not to long ago.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL

We have been making a late push for H Henry a Ark commit. But it will definitely open a spot for an EE. Hopefully Massington
I'm thinking this is how we now shoehorn Massington into the class also. Would still love to have another TE, though, especially with Michael Williams graduating. It's a crucial part of our O.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL

But I could easily see D Henry play HB and Howard the TE in our offense. Would actually be a nightmare for opposing defenses in the future.
Absolutely, I just think added depth at the TE position would be good. The way OJ is built, he could almost be a hybrid between a WR and a TE, don't you think?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

So LSU found the error on his transcript??? How does this work? Would NCAA have caught this before his addition to the class (assuming Bama wouldn't have)?

Also is this simply about him being an EE? If so and he can do the classroom work in the spring to fix it, why can't he just come in during the summer term?

psupoop

1st Team
Nov 17, 2008
Chester Springs, PA
So LSU found the error on his transcript??? How does this work? Would NCAA have caught this before his addition to the class (assuming Bama wouldn't have)?

Also is this simply about him being an EE? If so and he can do the classroom work in the spring to fix it, why can't he just come in during the summer term?
We probably aren't interested in using a spot in this class to sign and place him. LSU may have room though.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Re: 2013 TE Josh McNeil no longer considered at Alabama commit (Page 5 for details)

Sorry, but I still don't understand what the issue is here. Is there not time for him to get the necessary credits in the spring? Guys that aren't early enrollees still have to finish high school in the spring semester, but many of these guys go ahead and sign in Feb.

Is JM's situation not fixable with finishing high school in the spring is my question?

psupoop

1st Team
Nov 17, 2008
Chester Springs, PA
Sorry, but I still don't understand what the issue is here. Is there not time for him to get the necessary credits in the spring? Guys that aren't early enrollees still have to finish high school in the spring semester, but many of these guys go ahead and sign in Feb.

Is JM's situation not fixable with finishing high school in the spring is my question?
No clue. Maybe that will come out of an interview.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
Re: 2013 TE Josh McNeil no longer considered at Alabama commit (Page 5 for details)

Because of the SEC's 25 only rule, teams are not willing to sign and place in JUCO much anymore.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Seems like his offer was contingent on being here in Spring 2013 and since he can't do it, he won't get an offer.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

..another victim of everything in this country being so regulated that people barely even know how to function any more

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

Because of the SEC's 25 only rule, teams are not willing to sign and place in JUCO much anymore.
It is an effective lowering of the scholarship limit. You had 25 scholarships, now you can only sign 25 players. The difference is massive.

Let's consider it like this. Say you are an NFL team and you have 53 roster slots. Imagine they made a rule that said you could only sign 53 players that year. Get the difference? If someone gets hurt, if someone quits, what ever happens you only have 53 potential players to fill 53 slots.

This puts the SEC at a huge disadvantage. If someone might sign with an MLB team? You can't take the risk, because coupled with the SEC's stupid rule against MLB players (not an NCAA rule) you just flushed a slot away. You sign a guy and he has transcript issues? Oops, one less scholarship. Of course this destroys the sign and place stuff, which was a way for a school to show support for a player who had to go to JUCO to get things in order. It's a stupid rule and it was pushed through by people that seemed to have no idea what they were talking about. For whose sake was this rule? Who did it really benefit?

EHSWildkats

Dec 5, 2012

It is an effective lowering of the scholarship limit. You had 25 scholarships, now you can only sign 25 players. The difference is massive.

Let's consider it like this. Say you are an NFL team and you have 53 roster slots. Imagine they made a rule that said you could only sign 53 players that year. Get the difference? If someone gets hurt, if someone quits, what ever happens you only have 53 potential players to fill 53 slots.

This puts the SEC at a huge disadvantage. If someone might sign with an MLB team? You can't take the risk, because coupled with the SEC's stupid rule against MLB players (not an NCAA rule) you just flushed a slot away. You sign a guy and he has transcript issues? Oops, one less scholarship. Of course this destroys the sign and place stuff, which was a way for a school to show support for a player who had to go to JUCO to get things in order. It's a stupid rule and it was pushed through by people that seemed to have no idea what they were talking about. For whose sake was this rule? Who did it really benefit?
Non-SEC teams.

Tide Warrior

All-American
Jun 7, 2009

The Big10 has had this rule in place for a long time. They actually are more strict than the SEC right now. Even with the 25 rule in the SEC we still sign 25 x 4 =100 to fit into the 85 max limit. That gives us a +15 margin of error already. I am not naive and realize that each year we move people off the roster that in other conferences would still be playing. I mean how else do you take 9 scholarship seniors and 4 NFL bound Jrs, which =13 and fit 25 into their spots.

I have no issue with the way we manage our roster, but in no way is someone going to convince me that we sit in an unfair advantage because of the new SEC 25 rule.

BamaFanatJSU

1st Team
Apr 24, 2008
Rainbow City, AL

The Big10 has had this rule in place for a long time. They actually are more strict than the SEC right now. Even with the 25 rule in the SEC we still sign 25 x 4 =100 to fit into the 85 max limit. That gives us a +15 margin of error already. I am not naive and realize that each year we move people off the roster that in other conferences would still be playing. I mean how else do you take 9 scholarship seniors and 4 NFL bound Jrs, which =13 and fit 25 into their spots.

I have no issue with the way we manage our roster, but in no way is someone going to convince me that we sit in an unfair advantage because of the new SEC 25 rule.
Well said, sir. While I would love to have JM in this class, your point is valid nonetheless.

allybama2009

1st Team
Jan 1, 2009
Conway, SC

I saw where he said he "really respected coach miles" on his twitter feed. I assume he will lean that way towards LSWHO?

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Hate this one is turning out like this, but this does explain our interest in other tight ends as of late.

We'll see how it plays out. Certainly a talented kid, though. If he can get qualified, in time he ought to develop into a real asset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.