Breaking News: Penn State Will Remove Joe Paterno Statue

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
When I was there for the Bama game last Sept, I didn't even no it was there on the other side of the stadium. Once I got off the bus, I headed in to the stadium on the side the bus dropped us off. I would have liked to have seen the Joe Pa statue in person, but che sera, sera. Once the game was over, I left the same side of the stadium as I entered a few hours earlier.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Once again someone from Alabama brings up stripping Paterno of wins. Puh-leeze.

The statue removal, fine. I honestly don't care. But see this is what gets me - people are all but demanding the statue removal. So PSU waits until they get the report, thinks about it, and removes it. And then the moment they do they get ripped for doing what most wanted because "they're just doing it for PR." Which is true enough but so what?

This is part of what gets me about people - they make demands for reparations or remorse. If the guilty immediately expresses remorse they're dismissed as doing it for lesser sentence. If they wait a bit it's for PR. If they wait more than a bit (never defined) its too little, too late.

And in this case it was short time. Nobody defends what went on but it's amusing to me the contingent that isn't satisfied anyway.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Once again someone from Alabama brings up stripping Paterno of wins. Puh-leeze.

The statue removal, fine. I honestly don't care. But see this is what gets me - people are all but demanding the statue removal. So PSU waits until they get the report, thinks about it, and removes it. And then the moment they do they get ripped for doing what most wanted because "they're just doing it for PR." Which is true enough but so what?

This is part of what gets me about people - they make demands for reparations or remorse. If the guilty immediately expresses remorse they're dismissed as doing it for lesser sentence. If they wait a bit it's for PR. If they wait more than a bit (never defined) its too little, too late.

And in this case it was short time. Nobody defends what went on but it's amusing to me the contingent that isn't satisfied anyway.
Where did all that come from?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Comments like this:

I think it's stupid and it's only a show for the media.

And the ridiculous call for vacating wins.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
Vacating wins punishes both the school and the head coach without really affecting the current or past players. If the NCAA feels they have a right to punish PSU, vacating wins would be a good place to start. After all, the whole cover up was directly tied to PSU winning tradition. They did not want their tradition and status as "winners" to be tarnished. Makes a heck of a lot more since than vacating wins over a few players getting a couple textbooks!

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
Have to agree that the statue should be taken down from its public place. Maybe in the future it can be placed in the Penn State museum because Paterno is a huge part of Penn State's history.

Much as I love Alabama football, I would be devastated in the same circumstances if Nick Saban didn't reach for the phone and call the police before notifying Mal Moore and the Board. Lives and well-being of possible future victims far outweigh the reputation of a sports program.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Well, I had to get to church, LOL!!

Thx Earle!!
Years ago, we had a couple of guys who were obviously trying to fatten up their post counts by making short, no-content posts. I commented that we had enough post-fatteners who were trying to get ahead by posting "I agree." Rich posted: "I agree..." :D

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Comments like this:

I think it's stupid and it's only a show for the media.

And the ridiculous call for vacating wins.
I can't agree. The logical conclusion is that the overwhelming impetus behind the coverup was maintaining PSU football prestige and Paterno building his win total. He richly deserves both the wins and the unofficial title of "winningest coach" taken. In fact, I was the first one to suggest on these pages that it should be part of the sanctions...

SavannahDare

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Years ago, we had a couple of guys who were obviously trying to fatten up their post counts by making short, no-content posts. I commented that we had enough post-fatteners who were trying to get ahead by posting "I agree." Rich posted: "I agree..." :D
NYBF still holds the post count record for a non-moderator/admin poster, I believe. Maybe he should've posted more "no content" posts. He might still be here today if he hadn't used every post to criticize, brag, educate, argue with, and talk down to the rest of us commoners. :biggrin2:

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
It's too late to punish Paterno. Ruin his legacy, besmirch his family name, all fine. But forcing the school to vacate wins is to discredit to the players that won those games on the field. None of those players were ineligible or culpable in the actions that have brought about this situation. I felt the same way when we were forced to vacate wins.

Now, if there's a way to somehow only take them away from Paterno's personal record... go right ahead.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Hopefully, time will heal all wounds. I really don't know what to do under the circumstances at this time. Hopefully, the powers that be will make the correct decisions. Hopefully, they will not let the media frenzy affect them making the correct decisions regarding Penn State and JoePa.

Do we have enough factual information to take away JoePa's wins? Will Coach Bobby Bowden be the winningest head coach when the dust settles? I just can't understand why Coach JoePa, who most of us respected for so long, could not take any action such as dismissing the DC in question and building a great wall between Sandusky and Penn State.

Don't punish the players for what the administrators and coaches did/did not do (negligence, malfeasance. misfeasance, nonfeasance, etc.)

Will TideFans ever forgive NYBF? Just askin'.

Ty Webb

Suspended
Feb 3, 2012
I can't agree. The logical conclusion is that the overwhelming impetus behind the coverup was maintaining PSU football prestige and Paterno building his win total. He richly deserves both the wins and the unofficial title of "winningest coach" taken. In fact, I was the first one to suggest on these pages that it should be part of the sanctions...
I agree completely.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.