Breaking News: Penn State Will Remove Joe Paterno Statue

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Joe Paterno knew of Jerry Sandusky abuse in 1976 per testimony in newly unsealed records

A man testified in court in 2014 that Penn State football coach Joe Paterno ignored his complaints of a sexual assault committed by assistant coach Jerry Sandusky in 1976 when the man was a 14-year-old boy, according to new court documents unsealed Tuesday in a Philadelphia court.

The victim, who was identified in court records as John Doe 150, said that while he was attending a football camp at Penn State, Sandusky touched him as he showered. Sandusky’s finger penetrated the boy’s rectum, Doe testified in court in 2014, and the victim asked to speak with Paterno about it. Doe testified that he specifically told Paterno that Sandusky had sexually assaulted him, and Paterno ignored it.

“Is it accurate that Coach Paterno quickly said to you, ‘I don’t want to hear about any of that kind of stuff, I have a football season to worry about?'” the man’s lawyer asked him in 2014.

“Specifically. Yes … I was shocked, disappointed, offended. I was insulted… I said, is that all you’re going to do? You’re not going to do anything else?”

Paterno, the man testified, just walked away.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
Well, when will the apologists show up? There always seem to be some, even here.

Joe Paterno was a disgusting piece of filth and at this point anyone who considers them self to be a fan of Joe Paterno is a pretty lousy human being as well.
I wonder what Sandusky had on Paterno to keep allowing this to happen even after he was no longer on staff there?

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
My personal opinion, anyone involved with this (by way of knowing but doing nothing about it) should be banned from working in college athletics.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I'm not sure which is the more disturbing aspect...that this went on for decades, or that more coaches knew what was going on and did nothing, or the way many in the Penn State fan base still support Paterno.

When it became public that this type stuff was going on with Catholic Priests and Bishops, at least you didn't see any Catholics defending the abusers, or the enablers.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Hearing/reading things like this breaks my heart. Thinking about all of the young lives destroyed so that others could prosper makes me feel ill. This school needs to be shut down.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
A lot of the comments on this thread were made before reading this court testimony, at least me. I think it is appropriate to take the statue down and put in storage. But not to destroy it.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Why keep it? It's not like it will be appropriate to put it up some time in the future.
That is an assumption. Lessons can be taught by keeping such artifacts. I think it's kind of in the moment, reactionary to destroy, to tell you the truth. Taking it down is sufficient. And history is on my side.

When someone is rightly judged evil, so to speak, you still bury him, you do not erase him from history. That is all I am saying. Your logic, imo, should include every picture of him too?

Last edited:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
That is an assumption. Maybe you can start a group to destroy statue's or documents of ever controversial person you deem in history? Lesson's can be taught by keeping such artifacts. I think it's kind of nutty to destroy, to tell you the truth. Taking it down is sufficient.
The only place you would ever see that statue is in Jay Paterno's backyard.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
The only place you would ever see that statue is in Jay Paterno's backyard.
.This is Atilla the hun. Should we destroy it? Start a petition.

It is history, for good or for bad. Start a petition to destroy the statue of Atilla the Hun. We have him judged, no need to erase from history. . And I understand the mentality of the moment. I have no further comment. Because those same people can not distinguish not wanting to destroy a statue with being supportive of their actions. I made my point and am sticking to it. Not taking down, but destroying it.:)

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
If we are going to compare Paterno with Atilla...
I was glad to see Sadam Hussein's statue in Bagdad destroyed in 2003 and have not regretted it yet.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.