Breaking News: Penn State Will Remove Joe Paterno Statue

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
After declaring three times in separate posts that you were done commenting on this topic, you continue. I get the impression you, like Jay Patterno, are set on having the final word on the matter. If you've "raised the white flag," why continue to bait the board with ignorant sparring?
Edit: I see you have thought better of your last few posts. Sorry if my posts were provocative and contributed to the mess.

I agree it's time to move on to enjoy the upcoming season.

Last edited:

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Everyone have a great day and weekend.

After declaring three times in separate posts that you were done commenting on this topic, you continue. I get the impression you, like Jay Patterno, are set on having the final word on the matter. If you've "raised the white flag," why continue to bait the board with ignorant sparring?
Edit: I see you have thought better of your last few posts. Sorry if my posts were provocative and contributed to the mess.

I agree it's time to move on to enjoy the upcoming season.

Edit:
I appreciate your thoughts on participation, my only blame goes to the perpetrators that make us ponder their actions (Joe Pa and co.) . This is highly charged topic. It stayed on topic, "Penn State will remove Joe Paterno Statue", and we were given the parameters "thoughts". Sparring WAS from sensitivity of the topic as our norm is humble posters. It is ironic that if we all sat at a table we would be 99.9% in agreement :)

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
You know, a fellow once said, "What you eat does not defile you, but what comes out of your mouth."
Well, this situation makes me think that the misdeeds of one individual may not be as damaging to the program as what the program does or fails to do with the guy that turns a blind eye.
(And what fans do with the legacy of the blind eye fellow).

PSU just keeps digging the hole deeper.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
From the, "They STILL Don't Get It Department"........

Penn State To Honor Joe Paterno Before Temple Game

Penn State plans to honor legendary head coach Joe Paterno prior to kickoff against Temple on Sept. 17. The school will commemorate the 50th anniversary of Paterno’s first game as head coach of the Nittany Lions.

The news was nestled deep in a press release today announcing the season’s promotional calendar. The Athletics Department is officially calling it “Commemorating the 50th anniversary of Coach Paterno’s first game as Penn State head coach,” although it is not yet clear what all that will entail.

Why not just have Temple grad Bill Cosby oversee the whole thing? You can even have SubWay sponsor it and let Jared out for the weekend on supervised release. Un - be - lievable....

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
For those who blasted me for giving opinion that they should take the statue down but put it in some basement dungeon as an artifact (dissociate but not erase)........here is your poetic justice. Demanding it also be melted and blown into space. Not only are they not taking down, but will honor the man. That is why I try to have a compromising mind, I think Penn State hears the masses they believe nothing they do will appease. So they circle the wagons. It is sad.

If you were angry at me? Now?

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
For those who blasted me for giving opinion that they should take the statue down but put it in some basement dungeon as an artifact (dissociate but not erase)........here is your poetic justice. Demanding it also be melted and blown into space. Not only are they not taking down, but will honor the man. That is why I try to have a compromising mind, I think Penn State hears the masses they believe nothing they do will appease. So they circle the wagons. It is sad.

If you were angry at me? Now?
I do not get your point. I was never angry with you, but poetic justice? Penn State enabled a serial child abuser. They still think it's no big deal. There is no justice, there is no irony. Everything to do with Joe Paterno should be destroyed, if kept it should be used to serve as a warning for what not to do. You know how Germany handled the whole Nazi thing? Do you think they said oh yeah let's celebrate his (Hitler's) birthday! Let's celebrate him every now and then. No, they destroyed almost everything to do with them and the only things left serve as a reminder of what not to do.

All I'm getting from this is that Penn State has a bunch of vile disgusting scumbags, which is par for the course considering only vile disgusting scumbags would ever have let Sandusky do what he did for decades. They're just acting like sick, pieces of crap act.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
This comes as a surprise to no one who has followed the PSU fans' reactions to this entire mess.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
From the, "They STILL Don't Get It Department"........

Penn State To Honor Joe Paterno Before Temple Game

Penn State plans to honor legendary head coach Joe Paterno prior to kickoff against Temple on Sept. 17. The school will commemorate the 50th anniversary of Paterno’s first game as head coach of the Nittany Lions.

The news was nestled deep in a press release today announcing the season’s promotional calendar. The Athletics Department is officially calling it “Commemorating the 50th anniversary of Coach Paterno’s first game as Penn State head coach,” although it is not yet clear what all that will entail.

Why not just have Temple grad Bill Cosby oversee the whole thing? You can even have SubWay sponsor it and let Jared out for the weekend on supervised release. Un - be - lievable....
It's hard to imagine being any more disgusted by Sandusky, Paterno, the people running Penn State or its fan base. This latest shameless display illustrates the wisdom of destroying that damned statue, there is absolutely no legitimate reason to preserve it.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
It's hard to imagine being any more disgusted by Sandusky, Paterno, the people running Penn State or its fan base. This latest shameless display illustrates the wisdom of destroying that damned statue, there is absolutely no legitimate reason to preserve it.

The thing that gets me is that there CAN BE such a thing long-term as 'redemption' or 'a change in perspective.' This was going to take a long time for the historical revisionism to occur, but for some......what I can only call insanely pathetic reasoning...it's like Penn State is hellbent, bound, and determined to resurrect the dead man's dead reputation as quickly as possible. Not even let ANY time pass at all.

The only thing I've thought bordered on 'overreach' here was the NCAA removing his wins total - and that's because I think that's a ridiculous 'penalty' anyway. Like it or not, he still won those games just as Alabama really did win all those games we 'vacated' in 1993 and 2005-2007.

If Penn State had not been in an all fire hurry to change history, it would have happened eventually. If the Paterno apologists had just gone into hiding for about a decade, they could have come out gradually and rehabilitated his reputation SOMEWHAT by characterizing it as 'people really went overboard at the time.' In all honesty, when this story FIRST broke in 2011 (Sandusky's indictment blew up the news on the day of the infamous LSU-Alabama regular season game that year), I thought the targeting seemed to damned quick - until a day or so later as more and more began to trickle out...and even Paterno was trying to dictate the terms of his execution...it became obvious they just didn't get it.

Part of me can actually be just the tiniest bit sympathetic with the 'in shock and not getting it' - INITIALLY.

The problem is that Penn State and the Paterno boot lickers have spent five years demonstrating that they REALLY don't get it, that this was just some poor, unfortunate, rogue guy that they had no idea about when plenty of evidence has come forth that they enabled it to a very strong degree.

The more they are determined to resurrect 'ole Joe's sterling reputation,' the more they are hoisting their long-term reputations on a petard.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
The one good thing is that his last loss was when Saban and the guys marched into Crappy Valley and won.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
So PSU is proud to be associated with a child molester and his enabler. They celebrate the whole thing. Fine, do it your way, guys; but just know that we know what you stand for. We know what's important to you and what is not. Truth is, when we look down our nose at you - it isn't us, it's you.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I have no words.... When will USC do something to honor OJ Simpson?
I wasn't sure I understood this at first.

I think I do now. But what you said can be taken more than one way, particularly if the font was blue...

===============

There's been a stink because presumably his football stuff is still there. I'd point out one MAJOR difference in the two cases - Simpson's crimes were long after he left USC. Paterno's was WHILE he was at Penn State and they were specifically honoring him FOR what he accomplished while he turned his back.

Your answer was incredibly clever.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Welcome to Psychology 101.

See those shirts? Some get the same reaction as others do to the rebel flag and Confederate Army. And they are wearing them like a rebel flag.

Extreme vs extreme with Joe Pa imo

I believe Penn State should be able to honor who they choose. And if people leave them alone, they will stop being defensive and do the right thing. Remember the man but in a silent manner.

I do not care what anyone outside of the family told me about Coach Bryant today to tarnish him. I would always see the good, then the bad. It's ingrained in my DNA. The more I heard to to just remember the bad, the more I would resist to not remember the good. Psychology 101. And the press feeds this divisiveness with a lot of "He may have known" " There is speculation that Paterno" Do research and always try to be objective and understand human nature.

If we do that, we will live in a better world. It is hard to tell someone that their mother is a bad person and you should believe it because they say so. You will believe you know your mother better than they do. If she was bad and you leave them alone.....they will see the light.

The media likes to release our anger by giving us a punching bag. Controlled aggression. compassion and reconciliation is much better.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.