DE/Jack DeMarcus Walker Flips, Enrolls at Florida State

Status
Not open for further replies.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
Re: 2013 DE Demarcus Walker Update

Wasn't Dareus a 3 star coming out of High School?
I seem to remember he was a 4 star recruit, but may have been a 3 star when he first committed to Bama by some services but I think was re-evaluated to 4 before he signed. But I could be wrong, and either way he wasn't a 5 star by any of them if I remember correctly.

TideorDie87

3rd Team
Dec 24, 2011

I dont know how he isnt a 5 star already. Kid is 280 already and still has all of that athleticism.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC

Wasn't Dareus a 3 star coming out of High School?
Yeah he was underrated because of grades but the knowledgeable posters on here were raving about him when we got him. I was referring to Dareus' actual impact while at Alabama not his recruiting hype. Getting significant pass rush/penetration from the DE's makes our defense even more scary.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

Yeah he was underrated because of grades but the knowledgeable posters on here were raving about him when we got him. I was referring to Dareus' actual impact while at Alabama not his recruiting hype. Getting significant pass rush/penetration from the DE's makes our defense even more scary.
Absolutely. Anybody who watched his highlight reel walked away gaping.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006

I dont know how he isnt a 5 star already. Kid is 280 already and still has all of that athleticism.
His 40 time isn't great, so that's probably one of the reasons. I don't put much stock in 40 yard times anyway. If he plays against good competition, has a good work ethic and good academic record, I'd take a 5.0 40 yd dash over a prima donna every day of the week and twice on Sunday. The recruiting rankings are done by "analysts" that are usually about as accurate as the weatherman.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Thanks for making this. I hope we get him, I've been waiting or an elite DE since Dareus left.
Dareus left in 2010. In the three recruiting classes since, Alabama has signed Alfy Hill (4*), Adrian Hubbard (4*), Wilson Love (3*), Quinton Dial (4*), Xzavier Dickson (4*), Jeoffrey Pagan (4*), and D.J. Pettway (4*).

Hill is no longer on the team, but Dial, Dickson, Hubbard and Pagan earned playing time last season. We have some elite DE talent on campus. They've just been behind other guys like Square (3* DT).

Last edited:

TheTradition

All-SEC
Nov 6, 2010
Alabaster, AL

Dareus left in 2010. In the three recruiting classes since, Alabama has signed Alfy Hill (4*), Adrian Hubbard (4*), Wilson Love (3*), Quinton Dial (4*), Xzavier Dickson (4*), Jeoffrey Pagan (4*), and D.J. Pettway (4*).

Hill and Love are no longer on the team, but Dial, Dickson, Hubbard and Pagan earned playing time last season. We have some elite DE talent on campus. They've just been behind other guys like Square (3* DT).
Did I miss something? As fas I know, Wilson Love is still on the team.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

His 40 time isn't great, so that's probably one of the reasons. I don't put much stock in 40 yard times anyway. If he plays against good competition, has a good work ethic and good academic record, I'd take a 5.0 40 yd dash over a prima donna every day of the week and twice on Sunday. The recruiting rankings are done by "analysts" that are usually about as accurate as the weatherman.
His 40 time on the 247 Sports profile shown in my original post is 4.6. I consider that a great time for a 280 lb DE. If you go check out the video under "Senior Highlights" (has be Jr highlights) on his 247sports profile that time looks legit.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006

His 40 time on the 247 Sports profile shown in my original post is 4.6. I consider that a great time for a 280 lb DE. If you go check out the video under "Senior Highlights" (has be Jr highlights) on his 247sports profile that time looks legit.
I know tidesports lists it at 5.0 for his 40 time, but as I said, 40 times are not great indicators of much b/c as this illustrates, the time will vary (and vary significantly in some cases).

jambama1

All-American
Aug 1, 2005
Tuscaloosa

Thanks for making this. I hope we get him, I've been waiting or an elite DE since Dareus left.
First, We have elite DE on campus. Ala Pagan and Fanning as well as others. (Pagan threw up 500 lb's on the bench yesterday FYI) also we lead for Walker and he is a Early Enrollee.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California

First, We have elite DE on campus. Ala Pagan and Fanning as well as others. (Pagan threw up 500 lb's on the bench yesterday FYI) also we lead for Walker and he is a Early Enrollee.
This. some fans and perhaps some board members seemed to forget that Bama has recruited very well at this position in the last few years.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC

This. some fans and perhaps some board members seemed to forget that Bama has recruited very well at this position in the last few years.
I'm not forgetting any of the guys we have on campus. I think our DL is going to surprise a lot of the national pundit guys. I hope all our guys turn out to be monsters like Dareus but up to this point none of them have, that's all I was saying. Additionally, despite our talent level at DE we have struck out on some of the super high profile guys that we recruit at that position. As Earle and others have mentioned this is most likely because of the 3-4 and the perception that ends are just cloggers.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I'm not forgetting any of the guys we have on campus. I think our DL is going to surprise a lot of the national pundit guys. I hope all our guys turn out to be monsters like Dareus but up to this point none of them have, that's all I was saying. Additionally, despite our talent level at DE we have struck out on some of the super high profile guys that we recruit at that position. As Earle and others have mentioned this is most likely because of the 3-4 and the perception that ends are just cloggers.
When you say Bama has "struck out," do you mean not signing top DEs or do you mean the guys haven't lived up to the hype? I wouldn't say Bama hasn't signed top talent; take a look at the list I posted earlier or the one below. Many of the guys redshirted or played very little, which is what is happening to the majority of Bama's freshmen.

Alfy Hill had issues. That's a 4* (and the #8 SDE according to Rivals) off the team.
Adrian Hubbard (4* and #10 WDE) redshirted and then played some last year. He was behind some very good players.
Wilson Love is entering his RS Sophomore year. Since he was a 3* and #42 SDE, he didn't have the hype the others had.
Quinton Dial played a big role last season after resigning after JUCO. I expect him to do big things this season. Rivals lists him as a 4* but does not give a national ranking.
Dickson signed as a 4* and #4 WDE and put up some good minutes and numbers for a true freshman.
Pagan (4* and #4 SDE) got some playing time last season, too.
Pettway (4* and #13 SDE redshirted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.