LSU press conference, Les announces Tyrann Mathieu off team

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Re: LSU press conference, noon today (Aug 10)

I have said (lots of times, unfortunately) that TM was not the best player on LSU's team, not the best player on its defense and not even its best defensive back. He did seem to be a combination of lucky and good that was around the football at the right times. Good receivers exposed him one-on-one. His kick return skills and instincts were very good. He was also good at recovering fumbles caused by his teammates and returning them. He was not an effective blitzer against disciplined teams (TR stood him up like a brick wall).

I'm curious to see what else comes out. Would LSU give up a player that it just finished overselling for the Heisman because he failed a second (or third) drug test? I mean, last time he was only suspended for one game. "He got caught smoking pot again" just doesn't sound like the sort of thing LSU would end this career over. A third string offensive tackle maybe, but to sacrifice the Honey Badger. Either this decision was higher up than Lester or he's getting tougher in his later years. Or there's more to it than Spice/Weed.

rizolltizide

Hall of Fame
Jan 4, 2003
st pete, fl

If he can't get "high" enough just playing sports at the level he was capable of playing sports, then he should've been shown the door before this. Being unable to abstain from a substance despite negative consequences is a sure sign of addiction. And, yes, you can be addicted to marijuana.
Oh, I'm quite sure he probably should have been kicked out before this. Never said you couldn't be addicted to reeds. But, being addicted to reeds means you just really like to get high. Know what I'm saying?

Crimson Cat

FB Moderator
Nov 26, 2006
Alabama

I'm surprised they kicked him off but not surprised at the player...
It seems clear this was a University/AD decision, not necessarily a Miles one although he did the announcement as it was his player; Talented return man and good athlete, but not their best coverage guy...it will hurt their special teams more than anything...guy had a knack for getting the most out of a play, and its not a stretch to say he was a huge part of helping LSU come from behind in big games last year. I never thought he was Heisman worthy but definitely talented and their team seem to feed off of his energy.
He and Dyer both need to get their heads on straight quick, because they are wasting every opportunity given to them.

rizolltizide

Hall of Fame
Jan 4, 2003
st pete, fl

I blame all this on Erin Andrews. When Matthieu found out Holly Rowe was taking over her Baton Rouge assignments, he must have just gone off the deep end and went into a quarter bag a day stupor.

37bamagreats55

All-American
Apr 1, 2003
Gardendale, AL

Me and a fellow Crimson Tide fan had a little fun after the National Championship game.... Hadn't ever met her before this impromptu photo op with the Honey Booger...

Smoke 'em if you got em

DISCLAIMER - NO TIGERS' FAN WAS HARMED IN THE MAKING OF THIS PHOTO.

[/IMG]

gwilliams

1st Team
Aug 29, 2011

I say good riddance. The next player he clothes lined might have sustained permanent damage

45longcolt

All-SEC
Dec 30, 2007
Warrior 35180

I say good riddance. The next player he clothes lined might have sustained permanent damage
I was wondering if anyone remembered that. He was a midget Nick Fairly. He tried to hammer Norwood after his catch in the NC game.

Can you see it??????? Ole Les says he is a "quality quality guy who has a character issue".
You can say that again. He hasn't got any character in my opinion.

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008

I was wondering if anyone remembered that. He was a midget Nick Fairly. He tried to hammer Norwood after his catch in the NC game.

Can you see it??????? Ole Les says he is a "quality quality guy who has a character issue".
You can say that again. He hasn't got any character in my opinion.
"Hammer Norwood"????

Umm dude, that is called swatting the ball when the receiver makes the catch. I am the furthest from a Honey Badger apologist, but this was just good technique from him.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa

"Hammer Norwood"????

Umm dude, that is called swatting the ball when the receiver makes the catch. I am the furthest from a Honey Badger apologist, but this was just good technique from him.
Hahaha, it does crack me up when people use that video so often to demonstrate how "terrible" TR was in coverage. He read the route and cut under Norwood and was in perfect position to intercept the ball if it hadn't been placed in a perfect spot by AJM. It took a great throw and catch on that play to beat him. I agree that Tyrann M. ran his mouth too much, but that kid can play some football. I think many people judge him poorly just because they don't like him. Now, I do agree that he isn't the best corner in the SEC or the nation, but I think most people would love to have his TALENT and ABILITIES on their team. I am like many in the fact that I wouldn't want him on my team because character and attitude mean a lot to me, but the kid can play.

45longcolt

All-SEC
Dec 30, 2007
Warrior 35180

"Hammer Norwood"????

So DUDE the ball is in the back of his head????? Since when do you catch a ball with your neck???

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.