Academic Fraud with AU Recruit - Ruled Ineligible...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Re: Academic Fraud w/ AU recruit?

The NCAA will never be able to prove either of these scenarios, plus they currently have their hands full at Penn State.
You have to remember that they don't really have to "prove" anything. We should know that better than any other school...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Adams latest- http://awesomescreenshot.com/0e0cwsf20

Also, I'm a little behind on this, what is the deal with PE coach? Is he the AU grad, or is the counselor the AU grad?
I've heard conflicting stories - one that she's an OM grad, the other that she's an AU grad. I don't think it matters. She wouldn't have taken this kind of risk for the old alma mater. She had to have been paid...

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL

I've heard conflicting stories - one that she's an OM grad, the other that she's an AU grad. I don't think it matters. She wouldn't have taken this kind of risk for the old alma mater. She had to have been paid...
Or Blackmailed.

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama

I agree with your assessment. Time will tell how clever she and the payer were at covering the trail.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Or Blackmailed.
Yes, or that, although it's a leap to think that someone acting for AU would know something to blackmail her over. But not impossible. How are the the temps down there? Up on Monte Sano, we woke to 63F and it's just now cracked 70. I've been out splitting firewood (with a logsplitter, not a maul), and nary a drop of sweat...

Bamalawdawg

3rd Team
Dec 28, 2011

The NCAA will never be able to prove either of these scenarios, plus they currently have their hands full at Penn State.
That depends. Perhaps AU had been provided with a copy of his transcript during the recruiting process. To be fair, I can't I imagine any FBS or FCS school providing an official visit to someone who has not shown the school his HS grades form grades 9-11.

If the fake transcript contains changes unrelated to his SR year, or perhaps his final semester or summer school then AU probably should say "hey, why did his D in 9th grade math change to a C in the past 6 months."

During Hoovergate, Bama was given a passing transcript by the school for Chapman and the grade "mistake" was for his SR year. Why would Bama challenge a new 12th grade credit? The school said "oops" the NCAA said "oops" was a fair answer, providing a blue print for future accidental grade changes throughout the NCAA.

Giant Squid

All-SEC
Aug 6, 2006

Sometimes, a variety of people in high schools will change grades to "help the kid out" or "not stand in the way" out of a misguided sense of compassion. It happens with kids who were athletes and needed eligibility, and it happens with kids who were not athletes just so that they could get a real diploma. It's sad, and it's a stupid risk on the part of the person who does it, but this sort of thing does go on when there isn't any money involved.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL

Yes, or that, although it's a leap to think that someone acting for AU would know something to blackmail her over. But not impossible. How are the the temps down there? Up on Monte Sano, we woke to 63F and it's just now cracked 70. I've been out splitting firewood (with a logsplitter, not a maul), and nary a drop of sweat...
Earle it has been the hottest summer since I have been here almost 30 years. We rent a condo on the gulf @ Indian Shores for the month of July every year & the gulf felt like warm bath water. The crazy thing is we have had so much rain itis not cooling it down.
i don't think we see 70's until after Christmas.
we are coming up to our place in Anniston nest month hoping for a little relief.

And back to the Barn I just don't put anything past them just like the HB when you get away with something you push just a little further to see what you can get away with.

gwilliams

1st Team
Aug 29, 2011

I asked this earlier and it still begs to be answered. It is also one of Phillip Marshall's scenarios. That *U should have known something was wrong, whether there's a paper trail or not. Wasn't it known in recruiting circles that there were grade issues? Then the issues just go away? I think 'should have known' could be enough, especially if your institution resides in gray areas. I also think that it all just might depend on whether the NCAA wants to do anything...like if they have some residual heartburn over the shellacking Franklin Lightfoot put on their azz over cam, hbo4, and other 'envelope pushing' like the street agents IYAM.

Sort of reminds me of a traffic stop. Let you go, warning, ticket, jail....that officer has a lot of discretion.

GulfCoastTider

Hall of Fame

Y'all please avoid publicizing the guidance counselor's name.

I know it's already out there, but the "fambly" won't treat her well if they know who she is.

This is the same bunch that concocted a scheme to get Mark Ingram in a car accident just to get the VIN off of his vehicle and followed Trent Richardson around, even stalking his mother and children.

Remember the cult we're dealing with here. Whoever that woman is, she doesn't need the you-know-what storm that's about to fire up.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California

"I have received several calls from home saying the NCAA believes, from the questions asked, who paid the Wooddale guidance lady-that she would not have jepordized her career, job, just because she knew the kid. I do NOT have any names!" Last edited Today 11:03 AM by Tennstud

the latest from Roy Adams. :eek2:;)

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009

New post from Tennstud this morning. The last sentence is interesting.

Posted: Today 10:58 AM

Re: Tennstud on Slimebaum this afternoon.

[HR][/HR] Frankly, I left Memphis with a group of friends for Canada and NY City early, real early, Thursday morning and arrived here in Toronto Thur night. I don't own a lap top, email, tweat, ****, facebook, etc. Yesterday afternoon preparing to attend the NY Yankee vs Toronto baseball game here in Toronto, Pat Smith called and said that Paul Finebaum wanted me to appear on his show. Pat and Paul knew of my reluntance and said that the topic would be the situation at Wooddale HS with the change of transcript, grades, etc. Since Paul has been a friend of many years and helped us gain publicity when the book, "Bragging Rights" was released, bring notoriety upon my former great, good friend, Logan Young, I obliged. The first few minutes were devoted to the grade situation. I kidded Paul about NOT accepting an invitation to the Memphis TD Club as a guest speaker. He said that he didn't have to, that Nick Saban took his place. That caught me off guard and I went into that situation; otherwise I would have never brought Coach Dooley up. I have been inundated by calls from back home as a result of my appearance on this show! Coach Dooley is our University of Tennesssee football coach. Based on his record I would have never considered him. The U of Memphis turned down a request by him for an interview for their job. However, he is our coach. I hope-and expect- that we will win 8 or more games this year and that we will become competitive once again despite my other reservations.

Toronto is a great, great, city. If you haven't had the opportunity to visit, you must!
I'm prouldy wearing my Big Orange hat everywhere; and yes, I've had some ignorant folks asked where in Texas we live!!

I have received several calls from home saying the NCAA believes, from the questions asked, who paid the Wooddale guidance lady-that she would not have jepordized her career, job, just because she knew the kid. I do NOT have any names!

Last edited Today 11:03 AM by Tennstud

Tide Warrior

All-American
Jun 7, 2009
Asheville, NC-Chapel Hill, NC

However, that's ten years ago and those aren't the net figures. A large chunk of that went to lawyers and costs. They could have a good bit of it left, if they've lived frugally, but that isn't likely. The boy rented an entire Wendy's at a cost of $1800 for a party celebrating his signing with AU...
Actually if you read the one article the lawyers were also paid in that. The amounts were for each individual are listed. I assume those payments to the lawyer are for their legal fees. Also there is one payment of 105K made to a bank for an investment. My guess is that was the 100K his mother said she put in the bank for him. Meaning that it was probably setup as a trust until he turns 18. The first I assume is the 100K she is talking about and also there is lawyers fees already distributed. Again I doubt any of her money was left over but if I am correct on the trust that is how he came about his money recently. Time will tell.

1ST CAPITAL BANK - $100,000.00 - HY MM ACCT - ON BEHALF OF ESTATE OF JEFFERY ROBINSON

Payment of -$100,579.23 was made on receipt CTCT133878. CLOSED INVESTMENT AT 1ST CAPITAL BANK

A Disbursment of $206,560.55 on Check Number 15177 BAKER DONELSON FIRM BY ATTY

A Disbursment of $156,666.00 on Check Number 14732 BOOK # 1 PAGE # 296 TO BAKER DONELSON LAW FIRM

A Disbursement of $83,333.33 on Check Number 20232 BAKER DONELSON BEARMAN,ET AL BY ATTY JENNIFER SINK

A Disbursement of $41,776.08 on Check Number 20233 ATTY JENNIFER SINK

Last edited:

DC Tide

1st Team
Sep 13, 2007

Sorry but I just don't buy this. I think *U skated because their faithful closed ranks and didn't break, and the investigative staff couldn't make a decent case. The NCAA couldn't care less about damaging the SEC.

That being said, your conclusion that there are some in the NCAA who wouldn't mind sticking it to *U may be spot on.
I agree 100%.

As judge, jury, and executioner, the NCAA is a one scary organization with vast powers. As investigator, though, it leaves much to be desired. It seems it can only move forward when one of three things happens:
1. the school self-reports as it's supposed to (e.g. Alabama textbooks);
2. a journalist with more resourcefulness than the NCAA's own investigators does the hard work for them (e.g., Yahoo!'s Robinson and U. of Miami); or,
3. the school's boosters just get really sloppy and leave a paper trail.

I also agree that the NCAA very likely "has it in" for Auburn. The NCAA seems to have an institutional memory. It has a history of hammering schools that it (rightly or wrongly) thinks "got away" with something in the recent past.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

@Squid & Lawdog - We're not talking about changing a grade here or there. We're talking about enough changes to bring him up from something like a 1.34 to a 3.25 average. On top of that, the kid's supposed to have scored 14 on the ACT. As far as AU's deniability, they were provided a transcript when they first started recruiting him, as were we. We backed off immediately when it was obvious he couldn't qualify - so they would have all of the transcripts, the earlier crappy ones and the later impressive "B" - average ones. IOW, they're screwed. It just depends on how far the NCAA wants to go and what they want to do with them. In comparison with the past, the NCAA moved lightning speed, bypassing Slive, when they got the info. JMHO, but they look like men on a mission...

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

@Squid & Lawdog - We're not talking about changing a grade here or there. We're talking about enough changes to bring him up from something like a 1.34 to a 3.25 average. On top of that, the kid's supposed to have scored 14 on the ACT. As far as AU's deniability, they were provided a transcript when they first started recruiting him, as were we. We backed off immediately when it was obvious he couldn't qualify - so they would have all of the transcripts, the earlier crappy ones and the later impressive "B" - average ones. IOW, they're screwed. It just depends on how far the NCAA wants to go and what they want to do with them. In comparison with the past, the NCAA moved lightning speed, bypassing Slive, when they got the info. JMHO, but they look like men on a mission...
So Earl you are saying that officials at Auburn had to know or should have known about the doctored transcript? If that's the case, a violation has occurred. Right?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

So Earl you are saying that officials at Auburn had to know or should have known about the doctored transcript? If that's the case, a violation has occurred. Right?
It would appear so. Now, what does the NCAA want to do with them...?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.