Bill Curry to retire at the end of this season at Georgia State.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I'm going to close my participation in this particular thread with a few observations.

First - with one or two exceptions, I have not heard all the bashing Curry has done towards us, but I
also don't think our great fans here just make stuff up. Particularly when it's a LOT of them saying
essentially the same thing. The instance that stands out by far the most to me was his reference
to "the Alabama mafia" on the day Coach Saban was hired. I remember thinking he had been giving
a mostly exemplary interview until then - saying the fans deservedly had high expectations, blah blah.
Then that reference overshadowed everything else he said.

Secondly - the debate is NOT about whether Bill Curry was a great coach or a terrible coach. It seems
to center on which degree of mediocrity to above average we want to tolerate. I think the best way
to determine a coach's greatness is to subtract his very best and very worst season and then see what
you have. If you do that with Curry, his record is 81-107-4 with zero conference championships in 17
years (if you deduct the two). That's an annual record of 5-6 EVERY YEAR. And if you drop his
26-10 Alabama mark from his career, it's even worse. (The argument could, in fact, be made that
Curry is the worst coach in history to ever win an SEC title).

Thirdly - one of the things I've always liked about Curry when he's on "Mike and Mike" is that his
perspective is from outside the box. If he could harness that process and apply it towards coaching,
he would be an all-time great. He says things oftentimes from a perspective very different than
linear logic. He did, in fact, speak out against THE WAY Fran left us - noting that Fran had an obligation
to all those players he had had give up their transfer rights - at least they deserved a face-to-face
good-bye.

Finally - context is everything. Curry was that guy whom you could look at as a winning coach under
difficult circumstances (Ga Tech) and then imagine that if he had shackles loosened he could really
be good.

But here's where too many people fail to apply the Rich Rod-Houston Nutt-Franchione test - look at exactly
who they've beaten and how. So I did a little checking. Let's count teams with SEVEN wins as winning teams,
but I don't consider 6-5 in an 11-game season much of an accomplishment.

Anyone want to venture a guess as to what Curry's record was against teams with SEVEN WINS OR MORE while he was at Ga Tech?

8-22-4

That's right - he lost 22 out of 34 games against teams that won seven games or more. And three of those eight
wins came in one season, 1984, where he beat three foes that won SEVEN GAMES. He didn't beat anyone who
won eight or more that year.

At Alabama, he started 3-0 in 1987 against seven-win opponents (but managed to lose to Memphis and Florida) but
ended up with 3 straight losses. He was 1-2 in 1988, the sole win over 9-win Army in the Sun Bowl by one point. And
in 1989, he was 4-2 but one of those wins was against ULL.

At Alabama against seven-win foes, he was 8-7, but 7-7 if you drop ULL.

Curry simply never should have been given the job he was. He got it at least in part due to the illusion
of success, the same illusion that Rich Rodriguez and Houston Nutt have excelled using. And while I
was not part of the search, I SUSPECT he got it because the PTB perceived him as weak and controllable.

That said - let's press on and RTR.

JPT4Bama

Hall of Fame
Aug 21, 2006
Hoover, AL
Kentucky's football field is named for our former basketball coach.
Sorry, I should have made it clear I was not referring to KY's but DUKE's football stadium. In fact I went to the 2010 blowout by BAMA vs. DUKE. The DUKE stadium is named after WALLACE WADE. It's tiny. It's in Raleigh NC. I apparently assumed we all knew that and did not have to write it as such. :biggrin:

Thanks to everyone for helping. :)

GreatMarch

All-SEC
Dec 10, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Bill Curry. When Paul Finebaum refers to you as the most disingenuous person he has ever met and Kevin Scarbinsky thinks you are one of the great men to coach at Alabama, you may have issues as a person and job standing. :smile:
I will say that Curry's teams always seemed weak along the line of scrimmage especially against hard nosed football teams. I think Curry would have liked bucketstep Bob as an O-Line coach while relating stories of Lombardi, Shula and Dodd. I remember after the '90 Iron Bowl (Stalling's first) that either Lamar Rogers or David Rocker was quoted as saying that was not the same line that AU had played the previous 2 years because the Bama O-line was way tougher than before. That was all I needed to know.
Also remember Roger Shultz being interviewed the night Curry left and asked if he had any idea that Curry might be leaving for UK before the players' meeting and Shultz saying something to the effect, "When he walked in wearing a blue sport coat with 2 tickets to the Kentucky Derby, I figured something was up."

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I think the difference is because you don't hear Dubose, Price or Franchione getting behind a microphone and continuing to take shots and jabs at Alabama and/or the fanbase. It seems Curry can't get enough of it. I've heard one too many games he's broadcasted (in the recent past) in which out of nowhere he'd somehow work a jab at Alabama or the fanbase into his commentary. In games that Alabama wasn't even playing in. At some point Bill needs to quit throwing fuel on the fire and let it die.
Well I would agree that he has said far more than necessary about his opinion of Bama and the fans. That irritated me as well because it wasn't like he got fired.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I've read this board off and on a long time. Some of the harshest criticism of Curry has come from people I won't name but who are widely respected and seen as having insight into the football program.

My guess is those same people are reading here in this thread that the fan base is too harsh towards Curry, but they've given their opposite viewpoint so often it gets monotonous and tiresome to repeat it again.

I've read here, several times, from someone I consider a reliable source, that Curry's brick-thru-his-window event never actually happened as he claimed over and over.

When he left Bama, I was amazed anyone would jump from Bama to Kentucky. It was insulting, beyond surprising. The brick story was made up to get Curry some sympathy for having to deal with the "unreasonable" Bama fan base, and he's been milking that cow ever since.

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
Curry was a combined total 0-14 vs. the barn at three different schools. 0-9 at Georgia Tech. 0-3 at Bama. 0-2 at Kentucky.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Whoaaaa.....guys and gals!!! SERIOUSLY...and this is from Wikipedia and I had absolutely NO IDEA about this.

I think a lot of Bama resentment towards Curry is truly because he left T-Town for a job at Kentucky. How dare he? I understand.

But read this quote from wikipedia....and ask yourself, "What would I have done?".. ready?

"In early 1990, Curry received a contract which contained provisions he disliked, including no raise and removal of his power to hire and fire assistants, .[SUP][3][/SUP] Curry was particularly upset by this since he'd led the Tide to its first SEC title since the Bryant era. He responded by accepting a job offer to become the head coach at the University of Kentucky."

He couldn't hire and fire his assistants???????? My God this guy hired the best offensive coordinator in our history in Homer Smith.

Honestly, no raise after an SEC Championship and no power basically to run my own football team and take it where I wanted to go??? Yeah, I'd have left in a heartbeat.

What would you have done? Same scenario?

sip

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Whoaaaa.....guys and gals!!! SERIOUSLY...and this is from Wikipedia and I had absolutely NO IDEA about this.

I think a lot of Bama resentment towards Curry is truly because he left T-Town for a job at Kentucky. How dare he? I understand.

But read this quote from wikipedia....and ask yourself, "What would I have done?".. ready?

"In early 1990, Curry received a contract which contained provisions he disliked, including no raise and removal of his power to hire and fire assistants, .[SUP][3][/SUP] Curry was particularly upset by this since he'd led the Tide to its first SEC title since the Bryant era. He responded by accepting a job offer to become the head coach at the University of Kentucky."

He couldn't hire and fire his assistants???????? My God this guy hired the best offensive coordinator in our history in Homer Smith.

Honestly, no raise after an SEC Championship and no power basically to run my own football team and take it where I wanted to go??? Yeah, I'd have left in a heartbeat.

sip
Are you willing to believe everything that liar says?

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
My fervent hope is that CBC's retirement includes not returning to a broadcast booth, for anything concerning
THE UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA.
My personnel ranking of Bama coaches has CBC right down there with CDF. (and that's pretty low) :(

Last edited:

JPT4Bama

Hall of Fame
Aug 21, 2006
Hoover, AL

sip
I'll give you this. You are certainly persistant Sip. :smile: But I don't think it's working. :BigA:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Are you willing to believe everything that liar says?
Wikipedia or Curry?

As a matter of fact, that was reported AT THE TIME. While I'm not high on the Curry list, I'm also
beholden to fact. I don't know if it happened - but it WAS reported at the time. It also was published
in a joint effort work about the Iron Bowl called "The Uncivil War."

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Wikipedia or Curry?

As a matter of fact, that was reported AT THE TIME. While I'm not high on the Curry list, I'm also
beholden to fact. I don't know if it happened - but it WAS reported at the time. It also was published
The bad blood between Curry and Ingram ran deep. Hootie knew that Curry would quit, rather than being humiliated...

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Wikipedia or Curry?

I stand corrected and apologize to anyone offended not named Bill Curry. It's just the man is such a phony I refuse to believe anything he says. Did anyone here buy the brick through the window bull?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I stand corrected and apologize to anyone offended not named Bill Curry. It's just the man is such a phony I refuse to believe anything he says. Did anyone here buy the brick through the window bull?

Well, I was only asking for clarification because Wikipedia is not exactly the most reliable source of info either.

Thanks for clearing it up,though :)

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
While I certainly am no fan of Curry; I will give him credit for facing the team and telling them he was leaving regardless of the underlying circumstances unlike Dennis.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
I think Alabama learned a lot about hiring a Coach in the years since. Even Stallings has issues with the Adminstration.

Its a new day now. Maybe we needed to go thru what we did to learn again how to appreciate a Coach. As, for me & I may be alone, but I believe it's all going to pay off like we can't believe.

Anyone who is over 40 wanted another Coach Bryant (The Best There Ever Was) but they were ont out there.

I too have been very angry with the mess some of these coaches made of a wonderful program with the most heralded tradition. Some for what ever reason just could not handle it, they were over their heads from the beginning.

Coach Saban is confident in his abilities. That is what was missing before.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.