Bill Curry to retire at the end of this season at Georgia State.

BamaGoose

Suspended
Dec 7, 1999
Meridianville, Al.
He only had one 10 win season, which was at Bama. My question is why was he hired at Alabama to begin with? Its not like he won a ton a games at GT.

Curry’s coaching career
Georgia Tech

1980/1-9-1

1981/1-10

1982/6-5

1983/3-8

1984/6-4-1

1985/9-2-1

1986/5-5-1

Alabama

1987/7-5

1988/9-3

1989/10-2

Kentucky

1990/4-7

1991/3-8

1992/4-7

1993/6-6

1994/1-10

1995/4-7

1996/4-7

Georgia State

2010/6-5

2011/3-8

Total/92-118-4
http://blogs.ajc.com/georgia-state-...endary-curry-to-retire-after-2012-gsu-season/

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Re: Bill Curryto retire at the end of this season at Georgia State.

He just couldn't take it anymore that he didn't have the time to bash Alabama on national tv. So he retires hoping ESPN will hire him back as a commentator and we'll be blessed with this type of dialogue during the games he calls

San Diego St vs BYU game

Color analyst- "WOW! What a play by #58, the outside linebacker! Coach Curry, is that what you coaches mean by a player being able to play 'sideline to sideline'?"

Bill Curry- "Well, you know John, when it comes to Alabama and their boosters and alumni. It is a lot like the mafia. I coached there so I know."

Color analyst- :iamwithstupid:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
He only had one 10 win season, which was at Bama. My question is why was he hired at Alabama to begin with? Its not like he won a ton a games at GT.

http://blogs.ajc.com/georgia-state-...endary-curry-to-retire-after-2012-gsu-season/
Context clarifies.

The public story in the spring of 1987 was that President Joab Thomas wanted Alabama to be known as "more than a football factory." And though time has justified the view that Curry was hardly a very good coach, if you look at it through the eyes of 1987, you see this:

Guy took over a team on a crippling probation with strict academic standards (since loosened) and won 9 games - including a bowl game where he benched seven starters including the QB and star RB for violating curfew.

So you look at that if you're Joab Thomas and say, "If he won 9 games under those circumstances, imagine what he could do at Alabama." And that logic is not necessarily flawed but it also fails to take into account other variables. Curry did have a good rep as a moral authority as well. And just to point out - Curry won his ten games in TEN games of a 12-game season. Dubious, Fran, and Shula all needed the extra games to attain ten wins.

That said, Curry will be remembered as a mediocre head coach who could recruit quite well (the seniors on the 92 champs were recruited by Curry) but was not a good game day coach. Tide fans never wanted him and what coach uses Alabama as a stepping stone to head coach at Kentucky in FOOTball? Basketball, yes.

efd840

1st Team
Nov 23, 2009
Curry won his ten games in TEN games of a 12-game season. Dubious, Fran, and Shula all needed the extra games to attain ten wins.
This cannot be said enough.

Curry's clearly not Saban (as if that had to be said). Curry's not Stallings. I don't think Curry's even Ray Perkins but he's far from the worst hiring choice Bama's made since Bear retired.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
This cannot be said enough.

Curry's clearly not Saban (as if that had to be said). Curry's not Stallings. I don't think Curry's even Ray Perkins but he's far from the worst hiring choice Bama's made since Bear retired.
I personally think he was doing a very good job. Before he lost his last two games against Auburn in Jordan Hare and a way better Miami in the Sugar Bowl his 26-6 record was the best by a third year coach in Bama history including Bryant, Saban, Stallings, anybody.

People can argue that until they're blue in the face but it's a fact.

Some say "Yeah...but he won with Ray Perkins recruits." Yep, the same recruits Ray Perkins couldn't win with.
And by the way, I thought at the time and think today that Perkins was a joke.

Curry was better than people give him credit for and he was a class coach during his tenure.

He did get bitter towards Bama after his departure which he had no right to. He left of his own accord.

But I get tired of seeing nothing but bashing him because he wasn't "family". The guy won at Bama, it's that simple.

I wish him the best. He's a good man.

sip

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
Great points sip. I'm one of the few that agree with you. I could tell some Ray Perkins Stories but I won't, lets just say he had some issues.

I do believe that he did not embrace some former players who actually had kids on the team. He should have either invited them to be a part or set better limits. You all may forget Perkins locked that place down tight, fired John Forney & Charlie Thorton, tore down the Crows Nest & in my opinion tried to wipe any thing connected to Coach Bryant out.

Also, Curry just never understood the Iron Bowl to him it was just another game.

Finally the reschedule of the LSU game created Chicken Curry this was started by former players & Booster not the Barn, shameful. I'm sure he wanted to please hisboss Dr Thomas but he never did get it either,what the tradition was all about.

President Denny did, some folks my not know he was no our coach.

We were so blessed to have Coach Bryant as long as we did & we are again blessed to have Coach Saban.

I like coach Stallings & there is a story as to why he did not follow Coach Bryant, but like he said " they loved Coach Bryant & just tolerate the rest of us."

CNS has moved beyond that.

Last edited:

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
I personally think he was doing a very good job. Before he lost his last two games against Auburn in Jordan Hare and a way better Miami in the Sugar Bowl his 26-6 record was the best by a third year coach in Bama history including Bryant, Saban, Stallings, anybody.

Some say "Yeah...but he won with Ray Perkins recruits." Yep, the same recruits Ray Perkins couldn't win with.

Curry was better than people give him credit for and he was a class coach during his tenure.

He did get bitter towards Bama after his departure which he had no right to. He left of his own accord.

But I get tired of seeing nothing but bashing him because he wasn't "family". The guy won at Bama, it's that simple.

sip
I can't think of one kind word to say about the man. Not one.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
That said, Curry will be remembered as a mediocre head coach who could recruit quite well (the seniors on the 92 champs were recruited by Curry) but was not a good game day coach. Tide fans never wanted him and what coach uses Alabama as a stepping stone to head coach at Kentucky in FOOTball? Basketball, yes.
Wallace Wade?

Bama Torch in Pcola

Hall of Fame
Dec 18, 2002

sip
I'm not sure where you get the 26-6 thing. He was 26-10 at Bama. He went 7-5 in '87, a year that included a clubbing by Florida at Legion Field, a 13-10 loss to Memphis State, and a shutout loss to Auburn. The only good move he made at Bama was hiring Homer Smith. Without him '88 and '89 would have been more of the same.

This is the same guy who had Tim Couch running the option at Kentucky.

Curry is a master of one thing - selling himself. He sold himself to Gaylon McCullough and Joab Thomas and they hired him instead of Bobby Bowden.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Finally the reschedule of the LSU game created Chicken Curry this was started by former players & Booster not the Barn, shameful. I'm sure he wanted to please hisboss Dr Thomas but he never did get it either,what the tradition was all about.
Just for the record, it was the 1988 Texas A&M game, not the LSU game, that was rescheduled and led to the Chicken Curry jokes.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
He didn't get us on probation and did not get drunk at a strip joint and did not sleep with his secretary.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.