Auburn will be (IS) a first class wreck

Status
Not open for further replies.

OBMS

1st Team
Jan 9, 2011
Re: Auburn will be a first class wreck

Thanks for the link----I've been trying to read it all morning---it lets me go in for about 5 seconds then fades to a screen telling me I've already read my 10 free articles this month-----imagine that.

Notice the name Yvette Lynch and remember it. Retired after the initial changes but before discovery. Name was taken off the Wooddale HS web site between August 1 and August 10.

efd840

1st Team
Nov 23, 2009

The Memphis story says his non-qualifying grade was entered on May 4.

If I'm reading the story correctly, the grade was changed to make him eligible on May 17.

247Sports says he enrolled at Auburn on May 17.

Nope, nothing to see here. Nothing at all.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

The Memphis story says his non-qualifying grade was entered on May 4.

If I'm reading the story correctly, the grade was changed to make him eligible on May 17.

247Sports says he enrolled at Auburn on May 17.

Nope, nothing to see here. Nothing at all.
The article does not say the grade was changed on May 17. The teacher discovered the grade was changed on May 17, mean between May 4 and May 17 someone changed the grade.

This statement is not in defense of anyone's wrongdoings - he made a 70, which is a D in Memphis schools. In many (if not most) school systems, a 70 is a C, not a D. Wonder what is GPA would be if the grading system was A = 90-100, B = 80-89, C = 70-79, D = 60-69, and F = 0-59. Willing to bet that grading system has caused problems for several students. My GPA went up when I transferred to a school with this system to Prattville, who uses the system many schools use.

efd840

1st Team
Nov 23, 2009

The article does not say the grade was changed on May 17. The teacher discovered the grade was changed on May 17, mean between May 4 and May 17 someone changed the grade.
That was my first thought, but on second reading I think my assertion is right.

First, read this paragraph:

On May 18, while checking grades for errors, a teacher for a student whose name was redacted noticed that a grade had been changed from a 70 to a 76. The teacher "changed the grade back to a 70 and that was the grade on the transcript that was released," he wrote.

It clearly states the teacher discovered the change on 5/18.

Now read these:

"This week," Kyle wrote on Aug. 10, "when student information ran the report and found that a second counselor has gone in and changed grades for the same student just reinforces that a plan must be developed ... to limit access to historical data to only the minimum number of people," Kyle wrote

Responding to questions from Kyle on June 20, the teacher said he believed that he entered the 70 on May 4, then discovered on May 17 that it had been changed to a 76. He said he changed it back to a 70 that day

Upon review, I read that to say the the reports indicated the dates of entry and change.

It doesn't really matter. His grades were changed immediately prior to him registering at Auburn and I assume he registered using the falsified transcript. The teacher fixed it but the change would have never been exposed had the NCAA not been looking around.

If it had been found a year or two down the road, it would have been written off as an unintentional error.

When you get right down to it, that's a pretty solid plan. Too bad for Auburn that Mississippi State isn't as skilled.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

In many (if not most) school systems, a 70 is a C, not a D. Wonder what is GPA would be if the grading system was A = 90-100, B = 80-89, C = 70-79, D = 60-69, and F = 0-59.
We don't know for certain, but we can safely assume that on the traditional grading system a 70 would have been adequate for qualification purposes. A "C" was apparently sufficient with the tampered transcript, and if he had needed more than that the counselor would have changed it to that.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

Seems to me like he didn't have a high enough grade to qualify, the school / counselor then raised the grade prior to submission of the transcripts to the Clearinghouse, and then a few days after that they changed the grade back to its correct score so it would appear in his file that nothing had happened.

Really seems damning if that is the case. Basically shows the transcript was deliberately changed for the sole purpose of misleading the NCAA Clearinghouse, that whoever was doing it knew that it was wrong, and that they quickly tried to cover their tracks by changing the grade back after they thought the Clearinghouse wouldn't come looking anymore.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

That was my first thought, but on second reading I think my assertion is right.

First, read this paragraph:

On May 18, while checking grades for errors, a teacher for a student whose name was redacted noticed that a grade had been changed from a 70 to a 76. The teacher "changed the grade back to a 70 and that was the grade on the transcript that was released," he wrote.

It clearly states the teacher discovered the change on 5/18.

Now read these:

"This week," Kyle wrote on Aug. 10, "when student information ran the report and found that a second counselor has gone in and changed grades for the same student just reinforces that a plan must be developed ... to limit access to historical data to only the minimum number of people," Kyle wrote

Responding to questions from Kyle on June 20, the teacher said he believed that he entered the 70 on May 4, then discovered on May 17 that it had been changed to a 76. He said he changed it back to a 70 that day

Upon review, I read that to say the the reports indicated the dates of entry and change.

It doesn't really matter. His grades were changed immediately prior to him registering at Auburn and I assume he registered using the falsified transcript. The teacher fixed it but the change would have never been exposed had the NCAA not been looking around.

If it had been found a year or two down the road, it would have been written off as an unintentional error.

When you get right down to it, that's a pretty solid plan. Too bad for Auburn that Mississippi State isn't as skilled.
You're right. Grades were changed, and that is the bigger thing. The dates seem to be a matter of the teacher remembering and telling his story.
We don't know for certain, but we can safely assume that on the traditional grading system a 70 would have been adequate for qualification purposes. A "C" was apparently sufficient with the tampered transcript, and if he had needed more than that the counselor would have changed it to that.
That's what I'm thinking. Wasn't he known to have a horrible GPA? How did this one C give him the qualifying GPA? Did he bust his butt in the other classes or get help along the way?

Bruce014

1st Team
Aug 29, 2012
Alabama
As a new member surrounded by bitter, angry *U fans at he office, I'd like to thank you for this thread.
It has brightened my whole day.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I like the fact that Kyle says "changed grades." That has been my information all along, not just the "one grade" story which AU put out. I'm concerned that the threat of prosecution of the GC may be more theoretical than actual. Courts dockets are so crowded these days that a lot of prosecutors seem to yawn at white collar crime. It may be different in Memphis, and I don't claim any special knowledge of that court system, but there have been a couple of huge embezzlements locally, running into hundreds of thousands of dollars, which it appears will never be prosecuted. Violent crimes and drug crimes (sometimes the same thing) go to the head of the line...

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

I like the fact that Kyle says "changed grades." That has been my information all along, not just the "one grade" story which AU put out. I'm concerned that the threat of prosecution of the GC may be more theoretical than actual. Courts dockets are so crowded these days that a lot of prosecutors seem to yawn at white collar crime. It may be different in Memphis, and I don't claim any special knowledge of that court system, but there have been a couple of huge embezzlements locally, running into hundreds of thousands of dollars, which it appears will never be prosecuted. Violent crimes and drug crimes (sometimes the same thing) go to the head of the line...
I think you are right on the plural "grades." Given the academic issues most thought he had, I highly doubt going from a 70 to a 76 in one class would have been the difference maker. You would probably need to make changes to four or five core classes to really give a big boost to a kid in legitimate academic trouble.

Not sure any real prosecution will come out out of this, though. Seems to me Memphis prosecutors have a lot more on their hands than changing a few grades to keep a football player eligible. At best I would think she cops a plea to a less serious charge.

If the Memphis DA is like most that you find in high crime, urban areas, nearly all of their resources will be spent on violent crimes, drug distribution, and gang-related incidents.

Last edited:

Capt. Jack

Suspended
Jun 20, 2006

The article states that the audit found two grades that were changed.

OBMS

1st Team
Jan 9, 2011

Lest we forget------EVERYONE backed off the kid during his Junior year because of grades. If he was that close, no one would have backed off. TJ Yeldon commits to *U in June----Then in July between his Junior and Senior year Robinson commits-----then Yeldon flips-----desperation time.

efd840

1st Team
Nov 23, 2009

On the prosecution angle, it might not have to be the local DA. According to their website, the Tennessee AG prosecutes public corruption (which this would be if she was paid). There's also the possibility of federal involvement.

The fact that the story is getting a lot of media coverage could also draw an elected prosecutor's interest.

I also agree on the grades-plural part. We're all focused on the 70 to 76 change because there's a lot of documentation but the story plainly states at least one other grade was changed.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL

I think a few eyebrows may raise if the elected AG fails to prosecute a state employee for falsifying records. JMO

OBMS

1st Team
Jan 9, 2011

On the prosecution angle, it might not have to be the local DA. According to their website, the Tennessee AG prosecutes public corruption (which this would be if she was paid). There's also the possibility of federal involvement.

The fact that the story is getting a lot of media coverage could also draw an elected prosecutor's interest.

I also agree on the grades-plural part. We're all focused on the 70 to 76 change because there's a lot of documentation but the story plainly states at least one other grade was changed.
And that is where the story started anyway-----

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5900174

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

The article states that the audit found two grades that were changed.
That is what the article stated. I think there's more to the story than that. He was abandoned by all the FBS schools except AU and Memphis. That doesn't happen over two grades being one letter short. We've hung on to the bitter end with kids who had a lot more ground than that to make up...

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

That doesn't happen over two grades being one letter short. We've hung on to the bitter end with kids who had a lot more ground than that to make up...
Exactly.

The impact of that small of a grade change just isn't enough. I haven't ran the exact numbers just yet, but what does that do, take a kid with a 2.24 to a 2.28? You're talking a few hundredths of a point at most. If all he needed was that small of a jump, no one would have ever backed off of him in the first place.

Again, if you're going to make any significant change in a core GPA, say a boost of two or three tenths of a point, you are either going to need to dramatically change a couple of grades (i.e. replace a D with an A), or you're going to have to incrementally boost several different grades (probably four or five classes at a minimum).

willie52

All-American
Jan 25, 2008
Arab, AL

The article said substantial change to grades. I don't see going from a D to a C as substantial. From a D to B or A, yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.