Status
Not open for further replies.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Re: Auburn will be a first class wreck

Lastly... (for me anyway...)
I have a friend who teaches in Memphis. (different school, now)
She says MUMS the word. Teachers she has known for years are being closed mouth...

I agree it would take several grade changes to make much of a change in GPA.
I wonder if any teachers checked on grades for the previous years, to see if changes were made to any others?

Last edited:

gwilliams

1st Team
Aug 29, 2011

Lastly... (for me anyway...)
I have a friend who teaches in Memphis. (different school, now)
She says MUMS the word. Teachers she has known for years are being closed mouth...

I agree it would take several grade changes to make much of a change in GPA.
I wonder if any teachers checked on grades for the previous years, to see if changes were made to any others?
somebody mighta got eheir hand caught in the memphis cookie jar

bnhonest

All-SEC
May 28, 2003
Vestavia Hills, Al, USA

On their 0-2 start...I checked out their boards (and have since taken a bath), but they are a mess. The temp got real hot under chiznit today.(Does 'Croomed' still apply?) I dont think chiznit can make it out if they go 5-7 and we absolutely smoke em the way we did last year. If they lose to Arky, LSU and GA, as expected, then we are their absolute measuring stick. If we run them out of the building,I think Chiznit is toast, a mere two years after winning a championship.

gwilliams

1st Team
Aug 29, 2011

On their 0-2 start...I checked out their boards (and have since taken a bath), but they are a mess. The temp got real hot under chiznit today.(Does 'Croomed' still apply?) I dont think chiznit can make it out if they go 5-7 and we absolutely smoke em the way we did last year. If they lose to Arky, LSU and GA, as expected, then we are their absolute measuring stick. If we run them out of the building,I think Chiznit is toast, a mere two years after winning a championship.
Who will be harder Arky (w/o Wilson) or LaMo. Payback is such a .....

Last edited:

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton

And we will.

BradtheImpaler

All-American
Nov 16, 2010
Sugar Hill, GA

I think they'll be 0-4 going into the Arkansas game. Given the condition of the Razorbacks, the Plainsmen might get lucky and beat them. Then again, they might not and be 0-5 going into "winnable" games against Ole Miss and Vanderbilt. I put winnable in quotations because Ole Miss looks a lot better under Freeze, and they beat a UTEP team that gave Oklahoma everything they could handle pretty handily. The last couple of seasons, Ole Miss loses that game. I think Auburn loses to Ole Miss this year and they might not be able to get a win at Vanderbilt.

Their offense is anemic and their defense is a sieve. Could their only wins come at the expense of New Mexico State and Alabama A&M?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I'm probably repeating something that's already been posted in this long thread, but some of their fans are finally realizing that their top ten recruiting classes don't mean much when they've lost 13 from the class two years ago. If you can't get them on the field and develop them, they don't count...

Drewy26

1st Team
Aug 16, 2008
Montgomery, AL

I'm probably repeating something that's already been posted in this long thread, but some of their fans are finally realizing that their top ten recruiting classes don't mean much when they've lost 13 from the class two years ago. If you can't get them on the field and develop them, they don't count...
It seems to me that their recruiting issues are threefold:

1. They recruit based on star ratings alone, with little consideration of character or even filling needs on their team.

2. They lose a large number of recruits to attrition (academics, legal issues, etc.)

3. They aren't doing a good job of coaching fundamentals on the guys that they do get on campus.

Add it all together and it spells disaster.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

1. They recruit based on star ratings alone, with little consideration of character or even filling needs on their team.

2. They lose a large number of recruits to attrition (academics, legal issues, etc.)

3. They aren't doing a good job of coaching fundamentals on the guys that they do get on campus.

Pretty good summation. The Pike kid, who has obvious character and other personal issues was to be the latest in a line of "saviors" at QB, and he ends up playing TE for Louisville, for goodness sake. The only hit they've had there was Cam and we know what they swallowed to land him...

Crimson Cat

FB Moderator
Nov 26, 2006
Alabama

Spot on, imho, and I'd add strength and conditioning to that list...barn looks woefully soft all over but particularly on the defensive side of the ball.

Only bright spot they have anywhere is special teams which always seems consistent.

An example of talent evals might point to Arky's backup qb Allen who despite the loss, came cold off the bench & played pretty well leading Arky to a couple of scores. Frazier was out of the same class as Allen but hasn't looked remotely like an SEC caliber qb with tons more playing time and an off-season of preparing to be the #1 guy.

bamagradinATL

All-American
Sep 12, 2006
McKinney, TX

TeHEHEHE The ESPN guys just said awburn's defense is a MESS!!! Funny, Funny Stuff!! I encourage any one who wants a laugh to watch the barn replay!!! LOLOLOL
It will be on at 1:00 pm EST (12:00 pm CST) on ESPNU. I missed it yesterday, but I'm looking forward to watching.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

I agree with all that, but I think there's a bigger issue. Chizik clearly has no central philosophy on how he believes you win football games. It's not that he has a bad or ineffective philosophy. He doesn't have one at all.

Case in point: He hires Gus Malzhan (sp?), who very clearly does have a philosophy. You might agree with it or you might not. But you know how Gus Malzhan believes you win football games. He spends three years recruiting players with skill sets specifically suited to that offense. Because of the specific attributes needed at the QB and OL positions to run that offense, this is especially true at those positions. And so long as you run it, you're OK.

But then he decides that that's not the way to go, fires Malzhan, and heads in a whole different direction, essentially copying Nick Saban's approach. Trouble is, the power-based pro set requires an entirely separate skill set from the QBs and OL. So you have a nasty transition period that you can only recruit your way out of over time.

Right now, they have absolutely the wrong personnel to run what they're trying to run.

So which is it, Gene? Do you believe in power? If so, why did you hire Malzhan and build multiple recruiting classes around his way of doing things? Or do you believe in the spread? If so, why did you hire Loeffler to run something your current roster is unsuited for?

Compound that with not developing players, losing stars to character issues, and not being effective in the fundamentals, and you get an 18-point loss to Mississippi State, complete with one offensive touchdown in two games against defenses that aren't exactly stellar.

For those of us in the OFC, you may remember when Bill Curry tried to run power with Rip Scherer, then lucked into maybe the best offensive mind in college football in Homer Smith to run a finesse-based passing game, then at Kentucky hired Elliott Uzekak (sp?) to run the triple option. For heaven's sake, he even tried to turn Tim Couch into an option QB.

And none of this touches on the effects a soft offense has on the defense.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again....the more I see of Gene Chizik, the more I'm reminded of Bill Curry.

Last edited:

EscaTider

Hall of Fame
Oct 2, 2008
Flomaton, AL

Pretty good summation. The Pike kid, who has obvious character and other personal issues was to be the latest in a line of "saviors" at QB, and he ends up playing TE for Louisville, for goodness sake. The only hit they've had there was Cam and we know what they swallowed to land him...
Even the barners know it. This quote from one of ITAT's resident buffoons sums up the Pike situation.

I can tell you this, I've had a coach tell me that they were not happy with what they saw from Pike. And I don't mean just his off the field crap.
I responded with a "what, is he green" remark, and it was met with a "no, he just isn't a very good QB. We missed with this one" remark.
So, we offer a QB and really just based it off his rankings since we were suprised at how mediocre he was. Guess what, Louisville saw it right away and moved him to TE.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Even the barners know it. This quote from one of ITAT's resident buffoons sums up the Pike situation.

I can tell you this, I've had a coach tell me that they were not happy with what they saw from Pike. And I don't mean just his off the field crap.
I responded with a "what, is he green" remark, and it was met with a "no, he just isn't a very good QB. We missed with this one" remark.
So, we offer a QB and really just based it off his rankings since we were suprised at how mediocre he was. Guess what, Louisville saw it right away and moved him to TE.
Luginbill of ESPN had Pike rated as a 3* and was mystified by the other services who had him rated much higher. The Barn not doing their homework on this kid and a lot of others.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Luginbill of ESPN had Pike rated as a 3* and was mystified by the other services who had him rated much higher. The Barn not doing their homework on this kid and a lot of others.
That's just lazy recruiting. Same thing with all the other schools offering anyone Saban offers. Meyer admitted it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.