Auburn will be (IS) a first class wreck

Status
Not open for further replies.

BamaBeta

All-SEC
Sep 18, 2008
Atlanta
Re: Auburn will be a first class wreck

After the Clemson game, I knew it would be a tough year for Auburn, but I did not think the natives would get so restless so soon (maybe losing by 18 to Ms State will do that). I could still see them keeping Chiznik if he wins 5 games or so this year and they make a few excuses (new coaches, new schemes, young and underdeveloped, etc.) but at what point would he be all but fired? If he wins only 3 games this year, is he back next year? I would seriously doubt it.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL

After the Clemson game, I knew it would be a tough year for Auburn, but I did not think the natives would get so restless so soon (maybe losing by 18 to Ms State will do that). I could still see them keeping Chiznik if he wins 5 games or so this year and they make a few excuses (new coaches, new schemes, young and underdeveloped, etc.) but at what point would he be all but fired? If he wins only 3 games this year, is he back next year? I would seriously doubt it.
He has a really hefty buyout. Someone with deep pockets would have to get really dissatisfied. At that level, it's not just about wins and losses, but personal relationships.

They went ALL IN and drew to an inside straight in 2010, but this year they seem to be playing 52 pickup.

Bruce014

1st Team
Aug 29, 2012
Alabama

Did the Barn blow their entire QB "recruiting" budget in 2010 with their donation to Cecil's church?
Not the entire budget. The remainder bankrolled the secret suspension at NCAA HQ for an afternoon in Nov 2010.

graydogg85

1st Team
Feb 7, 2006
Huntsville, AL

This is what happens when....

You hire a career defensive assistant with a miserable two-year winning percentage at a podunk Midwestern university as your head coach.

You bring a former coach who is a known violator of NCAA regulations and who landed your football program on probation previously back into the fold in a big way. You even set him up an office in the football complex.

You hire a few assistant coaches with sketchy backgrounds and sub-par resumes.

You recruit high school players based on Rivals.com and Scout.com rankings, with little regard for character issues or staff evaluations of said prospects.

You ride the coattails of a bright offensive coordinator and two (most likely paid-off) junior college players to an undefeated season and national title.

In the meantime, all of that highly rated talent you've signed is either (a) washed out of the program due primarly to off-field character or academic issues, or (b) getting very little in the way of on-field development from your mostly inept coaching staff.

Also, most of your major competitors have upgraded their coaching staff during this time period and they are recruiting stronger prospects that are better developed and have fewer character issues or washouts than your group.

So to compensate, you bring in new assistants with newfangled schemes that are ill-suited to your current personnel. Things look ugly so far.

And it's a major surprise that the wheels appear to be coming off?

It's funny, most of this could be said about the Dubose saga, sans the national title and juco players.

CrimsonCarl

1st Team
Jun 16, 2010
Birmingham

Interesting tweet from Finebaum this morning
Fans hitting panic button on Chizik. However, $7.5 million buyout big factor. Thank goodness AU doesn't have any NCAA problems.
Lotta chatter out there. Just sayin'

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Caller on Scarbinsky's show this morning had some realistic comments but tried to clean AU from the NCAA with Cam. He proceeded to talk about MSU being investigated. Scarbinsky interrupted him and said that he (Scarbinsky) isn't sure if the NCAA is finished in Memphis or not and mentioned Jovon Robinson's recruitment. The guy started getting defensive saying things like "Is he at Auburn?" and similar random statements. Scott and Kevin both reminded him that Robinson signed with Auburn, so that's not good for AU.

Seemed odd to me that Kevin would interrupt the guy the way he did to put in that little bit of information.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I wish Finebaum called him out when he said that Frazier can be a good SEC QB.

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama

The few I've seen who are still on the "cheese wagon" keep repeating the same thing: they like his demeanor on the field, and he knows how to "relate" and "motivate" his players without having to be "abusive" towards them. Of course, that is a dig toward Saban, but I'll take an "abusive" Saban who can develop and mold young talent any day while making them understand that they have to face consequences for negative actions. We've seen a decrease in the number of off the field incidences since hiring Saban, whereas at auburn, they are seeing more & more off the field issues--and sadly several of them have been major.
I played football many years ago and had coaches yelling at me when I screwed up. It was NOT abuse. I loved every one of those coaches and would have tried to run through a brick wall for any of them. I needed the butt-chewings to wake me up and make me play better. Most young men don't get and don't listen unless somebody is in their ear making them listen.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

Dye - "I love him (Chizik). I wouldn't trade him for anyone else in the conference. Even the one in Tuscaloosa.'"

I'm so glad he's happy with Chizik!
If anyone honestly thins he believes that, I've got a bridge I'd like to sell you.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

I could still see them keeping Chiznik if he wins 5 games or so this year and they make a few excuses (new coaches, new schemes, young and underdeveloped, etc.) but at what point would he be all but fired? If he wins only 3 games this year, is he back next year? I would seriously doubt it.
I'm pulling for a 5 win season personally. No bowl game, bad enough for everyone to know what they suck, but probably not bad enough for Auburn to eat that buyout. I know things are different there, but Mack Brown had a 5 win season and kept his job at Texas. His NC and what not was enough to keep him around, but had it been 3 wins? Hard to imagine keeping his job...

I think any NCAA issues will be a factor though. For instance, if Auburn gets even a love tap from the NCAA, they might not be able to get rid of Chizik. Who wants to inherit a bad football team in trouble with the NCAA? Auburn might not consider it worth the expenses for what might not be a major upgrade in that scenario.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama

Dye - "I love him (Chizik). I wouldn't trade him for anyone else in the conference. Even the one in Tuscaloosa.'"

I'm so glad he's happy with Chizik!
My dad has developed a friendship with Dye--rooted in hunting and NOT football, thank God--and he tells a slightly different story to his buddies, especially if he has been in the bottle. Haha. Pat Dye LOVES the $7.5 million too much so he will praise him until that number gets low enough to stomach. He hasn't SAID that but he isn't a sunshine pumper for Auburn when he is entertaining friends.

tmv85

All-SEC
I played football many years ago and had coaches yelling at me when I screwed up. It was NOT abuse. I loved every one of those coaches and would have tried to run through a brick wall for any of them. I needed the butt-chewings to wake me up and make me play better. Most young men don't get and don't listen unless somebody is in their ear making them listen.
EXACTLY! Listen to some of Coach Bryant's players. They say he was tough and intimidating, but I have never heard one of them say he regretted playing for Bryant. Coach Stallings let players have it when it was deserved, and I never hear anything but respect for him. The aubs who criticize Coach Saban are the ones who saw the writing on the wall when he was hired and now have to pretend they wouldn't have cheered the loudest if they had gotten him first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.