Page 5 of 70 FirstFirst 1234567891011121555 ... LastLast
    BamaNation First Team
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: Auburn will be a first class cluster

Quote Originally Posted by uaintn View Post
    If they lose to a&m, which I consider entirely possible, there will be a lot of dissent. Yeah, you bought one in 2010, but since then the trend line is in a bad direction.
    Do you mean Texas A&M, or Alabama A&M?

2. Advertisement
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    That's what happens when a generally mediocre team is carried by one of the single most gifted offense players in CFB history. Any other QB than sCam and the 2010 barners drop at least four games.

2010 was the anomaly - it had little to do with the coaches other that 'right place, right time'.
    They almost lost 4 that year with $cam Knewton.

Quote Originally Posted by bamamc1 View Post
    They almost lost 4 that year with $cam Knewton.
    Exactly my point. Imagine if they had had any other QB. That 2010 barn team flat out sucked, but they had sCam.
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. ©2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!

BamaNation All-SEC bamagradinATL's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by BigEasyTider View Post

In any event, here they set four years later, and I think the reason they look so much like a rebuilding program is because they are a rebuilding program. He inherited a lot of issues four years ago, and he really hasn't done a lot to effectively address many of them. The question is just whether or not he can get it together now or if he's going to fizzle like Bowden did.
    I think he will fizzle like Bowden.

BamaNation All-American colbysullivan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    Exactly my point. Imagine if they had had any other QB. That 2010 barn team flat out sucked, but they had sCam.
    I agree, I've never seen a worse team win a national championship. 2 players carried that team, and it was absolutely disgusting to watch

BamaNation Hall of Fame bamachile's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by uaintn View Post
    If they lose to a&m, which I consider entirely possible, there will be a lot of dissent.
    Quote Originally Posted by pigsinspace View Post
    Do you mean Texas A&M, or Alabama A&M?
    I'm in favor of 0-for-A&M's. Is this a poll?
    “Louisiana is a fresh-air mental asylum.”
    ― James Lee Burke, Pegasus Descending

My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by BigEasyTider View Post
    Well, in fairness to Chizik, it was a big rebuilding job when he took over. Auburn was way down on scholarships, had a lot of attrition, poor coaching, not much top-end talent, and the in-state and in-conference competition was tougher than ever. The program was never going to be a quick fix.

2010 was just the ultimate anamoly. Everything came together perfect, like ten lighting strikes hitting the same spot simultaneously. Get the huge influx from the superstar QB, illegally or not, JUCO transfer blows up, get great injury fortunes, weak year across the country, bit of a down year for the conference, tons of luck in countless close games, you name it. Next thing you know you're 14-0 and holding a crystal ball. It was the ultimate powerball lottery ticket type of season, but it happened.

The issue for them and outsiders was that 2010 just threw off the baseline expectations tremendously. It's a national champion, but to the extent that they are viewed as a bona fide national championship program is just not accurate. It's very much a program undergoing a big rebuild, crystal ball or not. The luck in close games has played a part in that too. People don't believe the rebuild aspect when you go 8-5. Replace that with a couple of 5-7 seasons -- which would have more accurately reflected their actual performance in 2009 and 2011 -- and it's another story.

Now, I'm not sure Chizik has really done a great deal to make matters better. His assistants outside of Malzahn have been questionable at best, they've generally been fundamentally poor and very undisciplined as a team, and attrition and off-field problems have been severe. Recruiting has been much better, but they are recruiting a lot of character cases and arguably placing them in an environment which is highly conducive to triggering further problems, and that plays a big role in the continued attrition.

In any event, here they set four years later, and I think the reason they look so much like a rebuilding program is because they are a rebuilding program. He inherited a lot of issues four years ago, and he really hasn't done a lot to effectively address many of them. The question is just whether or not he can get it together now or if he's going to fizzle like Bowden did.
    Solid analysis BET. AU has certainly had their fair share of luck lately. Last year they had to beat Utah St using an onside kick late. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but they would have been the first defending national championship team to lose a season opener if that game would have ended up a loss. In 2010 they had 5 games that they won by 3 points or less and of course we all know how badly we blew our game against them. I look at their schedule this year and I want to say 5-7 but I just think they'll find a way to win a few games they shouldn't and go 7-5, very best case 8-4.

BamaNation All-American bamaslammer's Avatar

I'm starting to wonder if the NCAA cleared Auburn just to get out of town before the whole thing imploded in on itself, kind of like a kitchen food inspector marking up violations as the Titanic was taking on water, probably best at this point to just find a seat on one of the lifeboats before they run out.
    BS 1989

BamaNation All-American Florida Tom's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by bamagradinATL View Post
    I think he will fizzle like Bowden.
    Depends on how much he "Keeps it on the down low cuz".

BamaNation First Team

One guarantee: they will continue to have the best punter in the league. He will continue to get lots of practice!

(OK, CP is really a touch worse than Brad Wing of LSU, but you get the picture.)

My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

Some people are saying Petrino to the barn and I disagree. I think they will look for another yes man and I don't think Petrino would fit that description.

BamaNation Hall of Fame bamachile's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by ddsmit View Post
    Some people are saying Petrino to the barn and I disagree. I think they will look for another yes man and I don't think Petrino would fit that description.
    Agreed. I haven't considered who they might go after, but Petrino doesn't pass the smell check.
    “Louisiana is a fresh-air mental asylum.”
    ― James Lee Burke, Pegasus Descending

BamaNation Hall of Fame cbi1972's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by rickvox79 View Post
    Solid analysis BET. AU has certainly had their fair share of luck lately. Last year they had to beat Utah St using an onside kick late. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but they would have been the first defending national championship team to lose a season opener if that game would have ended up a loss. In 2010 they had 5 games that they won by 3 points or less and of course we all know how badly we blew our game against them. I look at their schedule this year and I want to say 5-7 but I just think they'll find a way to win a few games they shouldn't and go 7-5, very best case 8-4.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere
    "When a loaf of bread looks like a banquet, I've no right buying tobacco. " - Grandpa Joe