Auburn will be (IS) a first class wreck

Status
Not open for further replies.

GulfCoastTider

Hall of Fame
Mark my words. The 2012 Auburn football season is going to be a first class cluster.

I know they are somewhere just north of 70 scholarship players for 2012. I have a good sense that of that number, they will be able to count on somewhere around 65. Seven guys have been run off or quit. Another two might not make it.

Of the skill players they signed in 2012, they might get two or three on the field. Of the senior leadership they expected this season... well, I don't want to get ugly.

In 2010, I picked Auburn as my Dark Horse candidate to win the SEC, so I'm not just homering.

From what I've seen in the offseason, during spring practice and fall camp...

Coach 5-19 is back in his toothless glory.

GulfCoastTider

Hall of Fame
Re: Auburn will be a first class cluster

The only thing I am sad about is that Sammie Watkins got suspended. I would sure love to see him run up and down the field like he did in last years game.
Watkins was a playmaker.

But what does it say about your team and your season's expectations when one man on one opponent's team gets suspended and you say, "whew..."

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana

GCT, I have been steadily drawn to that conclusion myself and have hinted at as much in a couple of threads recently. I'm not close by and have to rely on reports, but several items cause me to raise an eyebrow. The players are reported to be fundamentally unsound at practice. That should be a flashing neon sign, even if API didn't have coaching changes and a low scholarship roster to deal with. Discipline is spotty, to be generous. The excuses coming out of their camp (we are young, etc.) bode no fair sailing, either.

And then there's the elephant in the room. I can't imagine that the NCAA has forgiven the barn for their flaunting of a bought player in 2010, and Emmert seems to be feeling his oats. There are a couple of recruiting 'issues' which have so far received only a little attention which could easily become monstrous problems. Worse, I'm not convinced that the PTB in the barnyard have enough sense to lay low.

Chickens come home to roost at night. They always do. It may be near nightfall on the plains.

GulfCoastTider

Hall of Fame

And then there's the elephant in the room. I can't imagine that the NCAA has forgiven the barn for their flaunting of a bought player in 2010, and Emmert seems to be feeling his oats. There are a couple of recruiting 'issues' which have so far received only a little attention which could easily become monstrous problems. Worse, I'm not convinced that the PTB in the barnyard have enough sense to lay low.
It's almost as if they self-imposed sanctions. We all know the initial signers penalties hurt, but it's the scholarship reductions that limit the number of players you can carry each year that really do the damage to the depth of your team.

This is the second straight year that they will be starting the season well south of the NCAA limit of 85.

They are getting quality prospects. They just can't get them on the roster or keep them on the team.

dcm79934

BamaNation Citizen
Jul 4, 2006
Hattiesburg, MS

I think they have a lot of issues but thier QB situation is probably going to be their downfall. KF will start, he is athletic but very inaccurrate and inconsistant with his throws. He is a poor man's Michael Vick. The SEC defenses will bottle him up and make him throw which will lead to a lot of turnovers. They would have been a lot better off if they didn't screw over Trotter so bad that he just left the team. In the end they will probably win some games they shouldn't and get blown out in the games that they should lose. I would say that they win 6 or 7 games but it could get a lot worse if the team starts to implode. I am sure Bobby Petrino is keeping an eye on the situation.

RTR

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

It looks bad enough just with the players who are no longer on the roster. When I factor in the new coaches and systems it looks bleak for them. Around NSD I looked them over and figured 8 wins. Now I think if they go 6-6 and squeeze into a bowl the Chiz will have done a great HC job.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL

I wish I knew how they seem to be doing good in recruiting this year?

I know the standard answers, but really what is drawing these kids there?

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture

I think they have a lot of issues but thier QB situation is probably going to be their downfall. KF will start, he is athletic but very inaccurrate and inconsistant with his throws. He is a poor man's Michael Vick. The SEC defenses will bottle him up and make him throw which will lead to a lot of turnovers. They would have been a lot better off if they didn't screw over Trotter so bad that he just left the team. In the end they will probably win some games they shouldn't and get blown out in the games that they should lose. I would say that they win 6 or 7 games but it could get a lot worse if the team starts to implode. I am sure Bobby Petrino is keeping an eye on the situation.

RTR

i've said it so many times and i agree with you about Trotter. He was by far the best QB on that roster. If Mosley is their QB, he wont be for long. They had better hope Frazier has learned how to pass. If not, they may be looking at a 6 win year.

Crimson Cat

FB Moderator
Nov 26, 2006
Alabama

RTR

Not to mention it was my understanding at least that they were trying to go to a more of a pro-style offense with their new OC, and as you pointed out Frazier just isn't that kind of qb...and no Dyer in the backfield either. No doubt, they've had an unusual amount of players leave or suspended.

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian

The University of Auburn is in trouble at qb. An aubie acquaintance jokingly asked me if we had a spare qb they could have. This was an unsolicited remark from him, out of the blue. I think their fans who know what's really going on there are girding their loins for another rough year.
I asked him who they were going to go with, he dodges the question and says the Wallace kid was their best qb, but a true freshman, and certainly not going to be put in raw in a game against Clemson. "Next year" was the phrase, like it didn't matter at this point since none of the returning ones are going to be very effective.

May they have a long, miserable season, but with CheeseNips winning just enough to stay on as HC.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006

Their NC isn't too old and they can really sell the "family" and "we have fun; it's not business" attitudes. Some players (people in general too) want the path of least resistance and the barn is selling that in spades to players. Ironically, their "family" pitch really rings hollow considering the attrition they have each year as GCT pointed out.

SavannahDare

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Gulf Breeze, Florida

Situation
Normal
Auburn
Still
Sucks

All I know is my barner hubby is usually crowing and going on and on this time of year about how good AU is going to be. He's grown more and more quiet as the final weeks of summer have rolled by. I almost feel sorry for him. Almost. :)

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

GCT, I have been steadily drawn to that conclusion myself and have hinted at as much in a couple of threads recently. I'm not close by and have to rely on reports, but several items cause me to raise an eyebrow. The players are reported to be fundamentally unsound at practice. That should be a flashing neon sign, even if API didn't have coaching changes and a low scholarship roster to deal with. Discipline is spotty, to be generous. The excuses coming out of their camp (we are young, etc.) bode no fair sailing, either.

Chickens come home to roost at night. They always do. It may be near nightfall on the plains.
It is literally a house of cards that looks to start falling here in a couple of weeks. I don't see them satrting out better than 1-3.

Should be fun to watch! :cool2:

rickvox79

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2008
Pace, FL

AU will find a way to win games they aren't supposed to, it is in their nature. Like last year, they had no business beating USCe in Columbia and still they found a way. I don't think they'll be 4-8 but if they lose some games early it could start a free fall. Looking at their schedule now...oh...hmmmm...Clemson, Miss St, Ark and LSU in their first 5 games? I'm gonna say 6-6 or 7-5.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama

The u$ual.

Playing time is also a big factor, with their revolving door roster PT is much easier than at a more stable program.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.