Status
Not open for further replies.

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
Re: Auburn will be a first class cluster

I think it depends on the 1st 2 games.
Dead on. Due to the increasing appearance of maturity issues on the plains, they strike me as a team subject to under- or over-perform based on emotional momentum. First two are probably crucial for them this year.

Bamafaninco1

All-SEC
May 14, 2011
Colorado Springs, CO via Cullman, Al

The Clemson defense I don't really know much about but I think their offense will be fairley good. Watkins was not their only playmaker, the QB was descent and they have another receiver who is faster than Watkins. I think they have a good chance against Auburn.

Alajambama

2nd Team
Jul 25, 2012
Fyffe, AL

I've been saying since last season (actually since sCam left) that we would witness a downward spiral at the barn the likes of which many of us have never seen. Does my heart good to see those idiots have to scramble.

Last edited:

Crimson Cat

FB Moderator
Nov 26, 2006
Alabama

Clemson is Clemson - they could win, but somehow I feel the barners will pull that one off.

MSU's defense looks to be very good this year - the barners might have a log day against them. Considering it's in Starkville, I'm leaning towards an MSU victory right now...

I agree with this also...I think they'll beat Clemson, but I could see them dropping a close one to an MSU and/or Vandy type.
Whoever mentioned the Florida comparisons earlier in the thread is probably spot on, I think. Based on what I read some time ago, their starters on both sides of the line are pretty decent and now have some good experience, but depth could be a real issue.

Crimson_Knight

Scout Team
Jun 8, 2006

Now how do you win the NC (2 years ago) and go backwards. Its almost like they are just now starting a football program.

Hate to say it, karma maybe.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa

I agree with this also...I think they'll beat Clemson, but I could see them dropping a close one to an MSU and/or Vandy type.
Whoever mentioned the Florida comparisons earlier in the thread is probably spot on, I think. Based on what I read some time ago, their starters on both sides of the line are pretty decent and now have some good experience, but depth could be a real issue.

I just really think the boogs are going to have an extremely hard time scoring. They were not real good last year and I think they will be even worse this year. If you look at the history of teams that scrapped the spread in the last 3 or 4 years, they all struggled afterward. Texas had way better talent than the boogs and they had a losing record their 1st year they went away from the spread and weren't much better last year.

I can see the boogs defense being somewhat better, but they are going to wear down quickly because they are going to be on the field a lot. When the injuries start piling up , the drop off in talent will really hurt them in games later in the season.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Now how do you win the NC (2 years ago) and go backwards.
That's what happens when a generally mediocre team is carried by one of the single most gifted offense players in CFB history. Any other QB than sCam and the 2010 barners drop at least four games.

2010 was the anomaly - it had little to do with the coaches other that 'right place, right time'.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa

I'm ok with it if they win several games and then we beat them like they stole something. Keeps Cheeze Whiz in place and we get the pick of in-state recruits, especially the ones with decent character. But I have some relatives who are Barn grads and the collective record against the big boys in the SEC is starting to be a major topic of conversation. I expect them to lose to us, lsu, and uga. That sits badly with their fans. If they lose to a&m, which I consider entirely possible, there will be a lot of dissent. Yeah, you bought one in 2010, but since then the trend line is in a bad direction.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

Picking the toss-up games is just such a crapshoot. Anytime you have a bunch of teams like that playing against each other, picking a winner is very hard because you have to pick who plays the best ugly football. Usually it hinges on a handful of bad plays and just who benefits the most.

Again, though, if Auburn keeps getting the close game luck, they are going to win most, if not all, of those games. They would have been 5-7, 9-3, and 5-7 the past three years if it weren't for that, but we all know it didn't turn out this way. Surely that has to regress to the mean at some point, but again it's just so hard to say in the context of one game.

Someone mentioned nine wins earlier, but I think you can forget that. Arkansas would have to tank for that to happen, and I don't see Auburn knocking them off, even with it being on the Plains. I see 8-4 in the regular season being the top end.

For certain, though, we'll find out Auburn almost immediately. They pick up Clemson and MSU right off the bat, and that will tell the tale. If they win both of those, you can just about pencil them in for seven wins, maybe eight. If they drop both, though, they will have to avoid upsets down the stretch against Vandy and A&M just to get 6-6 and the Weedeater Bowl.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

MSU's defense looks to be very good this year - the barners might have a log day against them. Considering it's in Starkville, I'm leaning towards an MSU victory right now...
Watch me say this and it turn into another shootout, but I have to imagine that will be the case. MSU has one of the better secondaries around, and the Auburn passing game looks to be bad regardless. Auburn ought to have trouble throwing the ball, and the running game will probably have some problems just because of the issues Auburn has at tailback and on the offensive line (though, in fairness, I'm far from sold on the MSU defensive front seven). Hard to see that resulting in a lot of points.

Of course, MSU generally has all the offensive output of a first grade basketball team, so you have to figure it will be low scoring. I would think you're probably looking at a 17-14 type of game with a turnover or two being the difference maker.

Last edited:

CrimsonCarl

1st Team
Jun 16, 2010
Birmingham

Kinda torn here. I'm thinking 4-8 or 5-7, but that means cranking up the crop duster to go get Petrino. Not good. Of course they always luck up and win a couple they shouldn't. HTH did they beat Utah State and SC last year? Anyway that puts them at 6-6 or 7-5, which should keep the crop duster covered up.
Agreed. It's probably for the best if they went 7-5 or 8-4 and kept chiznik around for a bit longer, but it sure would be fun to watch the bottom fall out, a la 2008.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

Now how do you win the NC (2 years ago) and go backwards. Its almost like they are just now starting a football program.

Hate to say it, karma maybe.
Well, in fairness to Chizik, it was a big rebuilding job when he took over. Auburn was way down on scholarships, had a lot of attrition, poor coaching, not much top-end talent, and the in-state and in-conference competition was tougher than ever. The program was never going to be a quick fix.

2010 was just the ultimate anamoly. Everything came together perfect, like ten lighting strikes hitting the same spot simultaneously. Get the huge influx from the superstar QB, illegally or not, JUCO transfer blows up, get great injury fortunes, weak year across the country, bit of a down year for the conference, tons of luck in countless close games, you name it. Next thing you know you're 14-0 and holding a crystal ball. It was the ultimate powerball lottery ticket type of season, but it happened.

The issue for them and outsiders was that 2010 just threw off the baseline expectations tremendously. It's a national champion, but to the extent that they are viewed as a bona fide national championship program is just not accurate. It's very much a program undergoing a big rebuild, crystal ball or not. The luck in close games has played a part in that too. People don't believe the rebuild aspect when you go 8-5. Replace that with a couple of 5-7 seasons -- which would have more accurately reflected their actual performance in 2009 and 2011 -- and it's another story.

Now, I'm not sure Chizik has really done a great deal to make matters better. His assistants outside of Malzahn have been questionable at best, they've generally been fundamentally poor and very undisciplined as a team, and attrition and off-field problems have been severe. Recruiting has been much better, but they are recruiting a lot of character cases and arguably placing them in an environment which is highly conducive to triggering further problems, and that plays a big role in the continued attrition.

In any event, here they set four years later, and I think the reason they look so much like a rebuilding program is because they are a rebuilding program. He inherited a lot of issues four years ago, and he really hasn't done a lot to effectively address many of them. The question is just whether or not he can get it together now or if he's going to fizzle like Bowden did.

pigsinspace

1st Team
Jan 26, 2011

If they lose to a&m, which I consider entirely possible, there will be a lot of dissent. Yeah, you bought one in 2010, but since then the trend line is in a bad direction.
Do you mean Texas A&M, or Alabama A&M?

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL

That's what happens when a generally mediocre team is carried by one of the single most gifted offense players in CFB history. Any other QB than sCam and the 2010 barners drop at least four games.

2010 was the anomaly - it had little to do with the coaches other that 'right place, right time'.
They almost lost 4 that year with $cam Knewton.

bamagradinATL

All-American
Sep 12, 2006
McKinney, TX

In any event, here they set four years later, and I think the reason they look so much like a rebuilding program is because they are a rebuilding program. He inherited a lot of issues four years ago, and he really hasn't done a lot to effectively address many of them. The question is just whether or not he can get it together now or if he's going to fizzle like Bowden did.
I think he will fizzle like Bowden.

rickvox79

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2008
Pace, FL

Well, in fairness to Chizik, it was a big rebuilding job when he took over. Auburn was way down on scholarships, had a lot of attrition, poor coaching, not much top-end talent, and the in-state and in-conference competition was tougher than ever. The program was never going to be a quick fix.

2010 was just the ultimate anamoly. Everything came together perfect, like ten lighting strikes hitting the same spot simultaneously. Get the huge influx from the superstar QB, illegally or not, JUCO transfer blows up, get great injury fortunes, weak year across the country, bit of a down year for the conference, tons of luck in countless close games, you name it. Next thing you know you're 14-0 and holding a crystal ball. It was the ultimate powerball lottery ticket type of season, but it happened.

The issue for them and outsiders was that 2010 just threw off the baseline expectations tremendously. It's a national champion, but to the extent that they are viewed as a bona fide national championship program is just not accurate. It's very much a program undergoing a big rebuild, crystal ball or not. The luck in close games has played a part in that too. People don't believe the rebuild aspect when you go 8-5. Replace that with a couple of 5-7 seasons -- which would have more accurately reflected their actual performance in 2009 and 2011 -- and it's another story.

Now, I'm not sure Chizik has really done a great deal to make matters better. His assistants outside of Malzahn have been questionable at best, they've generally been fundamentally poor and very undisciplined as a team, and attrition and off-field problems have been severe. Recruiting has been much better, but they are recruiting a lot of character cases and arguably placing them in an environment which is highly conducive to triggering further problems, and that plays a big role in the continued attrition.

Solid analysis BET. AU has certainly had their fair share of luck lately. Last year they had to beat Utah St using an onside kick late. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but they would have been the first defending national championship team to lose a season opener if that game would have ended up a loss. In 2010 they had 5 games that they won by 3 points or less and of course we all know how badly we blew our game against them. I look at their schedule this year and I want to say 5-7 but I just think they'll find a way to win a few games they shouldn't and go 7-5, very best case 8-4.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com

I'm starting to wonder if the NCAA cleared Auburn just to get out of town before the whole thing imploded in on itself, kind of like a kitchen food inspector marking up violations as the Titanic was taking on water, probably best at this point to just find a seat on one of the lifeboats before they run out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.