T.J. Yeldon: the Real Deal.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
The best way to describe Yeldon's style is slashing in my opinion. He's very decisive cuts and aggressive when he hits the hole.

Honestly, he kind of reminds me of a perfection of Jimmy Johns as a tailback. His pad level and vision is better but the similarities in build and running style are there. NFL comparisons would be Edgerrin James or Willis McGahee perhaps. Both are tall for a tailback...kind of slashing especially James who made a career out of the outside zone stretch.
My thought about his running style is more like "effortless". In other words he's one of the rare guys who is so gifted that he makes it look easy.
It's way early in his career but if he stays healthy and follows the process there's no telling just how good he can be.
He really doesn't remind me of anybody we've had but he looks a lot like the Oklahoma running back who is now with the Vikings.
For the life of me and way too much beer and tequila last night I can't think of the name right off the bat lol

TheSabanator

Suspended
Oct 1, 2011
Birmingham,Alabama
Yeldon ran TALL and STRAIGHT! He looked like Eric Dickerson. I don't think he had a carry for less than 6 yards. The OL was overpowering, but Yeldon simply showed the "it" factor. Just when I thought TRICH was the best running back I ever saw, here comes TJ.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
My thought about his running style is more like "effortless". In other words he's one of the rare guys who is so gifted that he makes it look easy.
It's way early in his career but if he stays healthy and follows the process there's no telling just how good he can be.
He really doesn't remind me of anybody we've had but he looks a lot like the Oklahoma running back who is now with the Vikings.
For the life of me and way too much beer and tequila last night I can't think of the name right off the bat lol
that is Adrian Peterson. as far as strength goes there is probably a huge difference right now. but they physically look similar.

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton
Peterson

Yeldon was behind a great line but he also ran through arm tackles like they weren't there. I'm looking for special things from him in his Bama career.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
OK, come down to earth. Yeldon is good -- probably will be great. However, I could have run for 50 yards behind the O line and JF -- I am 61...What is good to see is that the team can take their time with Lacey and let the others take their turns this week. I do think we will need EL against Arky. However, if their defense is as porous as predicted...maybe not.

Perrett4Bama

All-American
Aug 28, 2001
Panama City, Florida
OK, come down to earth. Yeldon is good -- probably will be great. However, I could have run for 50 yards behind the O line and JF -- I am 61...What is good to see is that the team can take their time with Lacey and let the others take their turns this week. I do think we will need EL against Arky. However, if their defense is as porous as predicted...maybe not.
Padreruf.......that's no fun......I like it up here in the clouds. Come join me and my fellow Tidefanners on cloud nine.....;)

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Yes, all of our RB's had a field day with Michigan. It was just the way Yeldon ran, he was so explosive. And the fact that he is so young, made it so sweet. :smile:

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
i get what your saying and I'm all for keeping expectations realist, but maybe we should keep the hypotheticals realistic too. Hart and Lacy didn't look nearly as good, behind the same oline and they are elite athletes, you really think you could have gone for 50? :) just sayin.

Dallas4Bama

Suspended
Sep 27, 2006
Dallas, Texas
Yeldon lived up to the hype so far and I see no reason he won't in the future. I think a little of the excitement stems from the fact we've been waiting to see the next great freshman rb explode onto the scene like we did Mark and Trent. We didn't see that last year. I know Lacy and Fowler did great last year, but I'm talking about a true freshmen come out and make an immediate impact the way mark and Trent did. Many were a little concerned after we didn't see that last year, especially not knowing how hart would come back from the surgery and missing a few recruits some felt were must haves. No one was worried we wouldn't be ok this year, but there was just uncertainty on who would fill the role down the road. So after seeing Yeldon explode last night everyone is just a little excited about the future of the position and Yeldon's potential.

Last edited:

TriCountyTider

All-American
Aug 7, 2012
He's a special player.. Then again, I am spoiled by the backs we have had the past few years... I expected nothing less! :wink:

Dallas4Bama

Suspended
Sep 27, 2006
Dallas, Texas
Here's the thing. I saw him picking up blitzes. That is great news! All backs are doing great. We would be better with a healthy Lacy, but that will come.
There's still room for improvement there. Not sure if it was Hart or Yeldon, but one of them didn't make a block in the 4th quarter that cost us a TD. The pass AJ overthrew to Williams in the 4th quarter was rushed after the LB got past the rb. Had that block been made right that was probably six.

Went back and watched it again and it was Hart. Had he handled his block that was probably 6. That's why Lacy checked back in for the next play. There was one other miss by Yeldon, but all and all they dis a good job.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.