T.J. Yeldon: the Real Deal.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
With all respect to the O Line & they are very good but TJ did a lot on his own.

I wish I knew how to describe it but he looks like he has Great vison & so quick he can cut thru very small cracks. He did not rip a rally long one so we have to see when he gets thru a good defensive line if he has the after burners that both Trent & Mark had.

I think he will but we have a whole season to find out.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Humphrey made a living off the toss sweep and turning the corner.

This kid did it with a huge burst of speed and watching the defense move..

I saw Shaun Alexander behavior out there

I love we are arguing about what HOFer he most resembles....

RTR

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I don't like the way he carries the ball. needs to be high and tight not high and loose. also needs to switch arms in the open field away from defenders and toward the boundary. I love the way he runs mostly north/south, accelerates through a hole and cuts, shifts. catches the ball really well. A star in the making.

There is a TJ Yeldon thread on the Michigan board. they are impressed with him as well.

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
I've watched a lot of our RBs over the years and was curious to see Yeldon's running style. What I saw was a shorter stride than I'd look for in someone 6-2, which gave him a more upright profile. Good speed and enough "swivel hipedness" to make it hard to get a good lick on him. Seems to have good field vision for someone just getting into the speed of the college game. He hit the seams well in following blockers on the off tackle plays. Looking to see him on a long breakaway run with DBs chasing him.

On the subject of RBs, really enjoyed seeing Dee Hart carry some also. He looked healthy and pretty speedy to me. I can see him popping through the line and going supersonic before the D getting a hand on him. I believe no other team in CFB has a herd of quality RBs like we have. Kudos to Coach Burns for the recruiting and coaching job he's doing for us. May they all stay healthy.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
OK, come down to earth. Yeldon is good -- probably will be great. However, I could have run for 50 yards behind the O line and JF -- I am 61...What is good to see is that the team can take their time with Lacey and let the others take their turns this week. I do think we will need EL against Arky. However, if their defense is as porous as predicted...maybe not.
I noticed you received not one but two tourist thumbs down for this statement above. Sharing the praise and calling Yeldon great.

The alternative I suppose is that just Yeldon is great? Anything deeper is clutter :)

It's all not white and black or left and right. Like George Bush Sr. said "There's that gap there." Very true words. The o-line was just awesome right along with those backs as you point out very well.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I noticed you received not one but two tourist thumbs down for this statement above. Sharing the praise and calling Yeldon great.

The alternative I suppose is that just Yeldon is great? Anything deeper is clutter :)

It's all not white and black or left and right. Like George Bush Sr. said "There's that gap there." Very true words. The o-line was just awesome right along with those backs as you point out very well.
This is true. However, no other back took advantage of those holes like he did... :)

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
This is true. However, no other back took advantage of those holes like he did... :)
He looks like a 5'10 190 pound back. Then you realize your watching someone that is 6'2 215 lbs gliding, juking, accelerating. He does remind me a little of Sherman Williams in his quick hole assessment. You can't even tell he's picking a spot because he's so quick.

I do want to watch him against a tougher line and see how he does with the tough yardage, but I am sure it will be fine. He could be just as good as Ingram and Richardson, which is saying a lot after 1 game.

Edit: I think it's now safe to say that the NFL has a spot for Fowler somewhere too. I have always been a skeptic about Fowler, but I his versatility is great.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
He looks like a 5'10 190 pound back. Then you realize your watching someone that is 6'2 215 lbs gliding, juking, accelerating. He does remind me a little of Sherman Williams in his quick hole assessment. You can't even tell he's picking a spot because he's so quick.

I do want to watch him against a tougher line and see how he does with the tough yardage, but I am sure it will be fine. He could be just as good as Ingram and Richardson, which is saying a lot after 1 game.
Their DL did much better against pass than the run, but, from what we've seen so far, Yeldon's skills match up beautifully with the run blocking of our OL. I agree that we'll know more when the DLine on the other side is of a higher caliber...

Dallas4Bama

Suspended
Sep 27, 2006
Dallas, Texas
CT makes a good observation. I didn't know how to say it, but he does hit the hole so quickly you can't tell he's looking for it. Part of that is he trust his line will create the hole where it was drawn on the chalk board before he gets there. To be a freshmen and already get that is something special.

Also what Earle said is very true. All the backs ran behind the same line and Yeldon is the one who took full advantage of it. I feel like Jalston made the next beat use of his carries. We are seeing a lacy that still isn't 100% or he would have been over 100.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
CT makes a good observation. I didn't know how to say it, but he does hit the hole so quickly you can't tell he's looking for it. Part of that is he trust his line will create the hole where it was drawn on the chalk board before he gets there. To be a freshmen and already get that is something special.

Also what Earle said is very true. All the backs ran behind the same line and Yeldon is the one who took full advantage of it. I feel like Jalston made the next beat use of his carries. We are seeing a lacy that still isn't 100% or he would have been over 100.
Agree about Fowler. Of course, he's much more experienced than Yeldon...

There's still room for improvement there. Not sure if it was Hart or Yeldon, but one of them didn't make a block in the 4th quarter that cost us a TD. The pass AJ overthrew to Williams in the 4th quarter was rushed after the LB got past the rb. Had that block been made right that was probably six.

Went back and watched it again and it was Hart. Had he handled his block that was probably 6. That's why Lacy checked back in for the next play. There was one other miss by Yeldon, but all and all they dis a good job.
Yeah, we'll get better. Some things that I missed during the game were glaring the second time I watched. Good coaching points.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Their DL did much better against pass than the run, but, from what we've seen so far, Yeldon's skills match up beautifully with the run blocking of our OL.
Yeldon''s so good he could've made Bucket Step Bob's version of zone blocking look good. If not for Justin Taylor's Bill Curry move in recruiting, we wouldn't have Yeldon imo. With how wide open the field was going to be, I wonder if Taylor just bit first before the injury as to why Yeldon shied away so long. You never know about recruiting though.

Georgia looks like they have a pretty good back too :) And it's very obvious that he has studied Trent closely.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
His trust and quick determination on which gap to attack is something to watch. He could struggle against the best SEC defenses we will play this season because sometimes showing patience is the key to making big gains.

I like that he sees an opening and hits it relentlessly but lets see how he handles a team who can actually muck things up a bit.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.