T.J. Yeldon: the Real Deal.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
TJ was most impressive. His running action is just so smooth and he emerges from a crowd of defenders and runs some more. Very excited to have him at the Capstone for the next few years.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
He runs a little like Sherman Williams, who also battled running upright. They never got his really fixed. Yeldon has been coached well thus far.

Bad Pony

All-American
Nov 14, 1999
Pelham
I love the "I" formation with Fowler leading the way, except for the TJ TD I don't think we gained less than 4 yds a carry. In addition to being an excellent, bruising runner it looks like Mr. Fowler is going to be a devastating blocker. I hate getting this excited after one game....

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
It's still very, very early, but he reminded me a lot of a skinny Adrian Peterson. He broke through tackles like they were nothing, he hit the holes with great timing, he showed an abundance of moves to stay on his feet, but best of all there were a number of times where he carried defenders to get those extra yards. It was a very special performance, and just the fact that he got the majority of the carries tells you the confidence that the coaching staff has in him. If he stays healthy and continues to grow, I would dare say he may wind up being better than Trent, Mark, Shaun, or whoever else you would like to throw in there.

Still it's early, so I'm going just going to sit back and enjoy the ride.

CarolinaTidefan

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 31, 2002
Spartanburg, SC, USA
reminds me of the obvious choices Dickerson and Allen. But another great runner he reminds me of is Gale Sayers. bigger than Sayers but the running style is similar.
Wow! A freshman after his first game gets compared to Dickerson, Allen and Gale Sayers! Things are definitely looking good for our future.

I was on the phone with a fellow Bama fan during the game, and I told him Yeldon reminds me of OJ Simpson! Some of the things that impressed me where his cuts, his speed, his ability to make people miss, and he always fell forward. Yes, we have a great one here!

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The best way to describe Yeldon's style is slashing in my opinion. He's very decisive cuts and aggressive when he hits the hole.

Honestly, he kind of reminds me of a perfection of Jimmy Johns as a tailback. His pad level and vision is better but the similarities in build and running style are there. NFL comparisons would be Edgerrin James or Willis McGahee perhaps. Both are tall for a tailback...kind of slashing especially James who made a career out of the outside zone stretch.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Wow! A freshman after his first game gets compared to Dickerson, Allen and Gale Sayers! Things are definitely looking good for our future.

I was on the phone with a fellow Bama fan during the game, and I told him Yeldon reminds me of OJ Simpson! Some of the things that impressed me where his cuts, his speed, his ability to make people miss, and he always fell forward. Yes, we have a great one here!
Most everything was upfield. You can tell his great abilities, but this line would have allowed any starting back in the SEC with 30 carries a 150yrd game.

We should not get too carried away. They are saying we may have the best college football line in 15 years.

Edit: Best o-line in 15 years not just Bama but all of college football

Last edited:

Quicksilver

1st Team
Mar 13, 2010
Ellicott City, MD
Last night, before the game, I wrote on the "Pick the Score" thread: "I look for Yeldon to have a breakout game tonight - maybe 90 yards rushing and a couple of TDs." I wasn't far off the mark. This guy is fantastic.

Yeldon is a great back that would excel with any OL. It just so happens he's running behind an all time great. His burst the hole is nothing short of tremendous. I know it's just the first game, but it's a very promising way to start the season. If we can keep this up then look out. I'm more impressed with Fowler though.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Has a true freshman RB in the first game of the season ever run for over 100 yards at Bama until Yeldon?

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I don't think so, but you shouldn't get too carried away about him ;)
That did sound harsh, am I trying too hard to not go overboard? It does historically seem like either all the backs look great or none do, which ='s O-Line.

While he looks like the next superstar(is), we could have one of the all-time great o-lines. So all the backs looked better, it's the truth, even if it offends. Not trying to do that though.

Being objective can be a good thing.

I like to see the grey area, it's not all black or white. And discussing the grey area can make you appear like you are being critical when your really are just attempting to voice an unbiased truthful opinion and spread the praise.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.