2014 RB Racean Thomas Updates

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
Re: 2014 RB Racean 'Rock' Thomas names Bama his leader. Will announce soon.

You know things are good when kids who are 2 years away from college are committing to us early so as not to lose a spot! Roll Tide!!

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland

We are in on so many good RBs in '13 and '14 already, that it is a good idea to grab the spot if you can. Plus, some of the national names are going to look to start quickly, and that is not going to happen.

Bamalawdawg

3rd Team
Dec 28, 2011

Sounds like we let him know there were 3 top RBs on our radar and two spots unless Bo grows out of being a RB (which will happen if he grows any more - a 6'4, 230 pounder is called Julio Jones, not Mark Ingram).

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California

This is being reported multiple places but hadn't seen it on here. Says he is aware of the Bo Scarbrough committment and that is part of the reason he is getting close to committing.
http://alabama.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1407741
"Alabama is my favorite school," he said. "I like how close to home it is. My family can make it to the games. They produce very good backs. There really aren't any backs who go there and don't become better. They add weight and muscle to them. They make them better physically and mentally."

Hammer meet nail!!

Heisman4Bama

1st Team
Jun 18, 2010

Anyone else think there is going to be a huge overload of RB's for the next few years? Talk about RB's by committee.

Ty Webb

Suspended
Feb 3, 2012

Bama lock

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian

The phrase, "Don't worry about the mule, just load the wagon", comes to mind here. With the beating RBs take, you can't have enough good ones on a roster in the SEC. Bring 'em on.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC

Anyone else think there is going to be a huge overload of RB's for the next few years? Talk about RB's by committee.
I mean we just lost Fowler and if Lacy doesn't get it together we are basically relying on two true freshman and a redshirt freshman. So I don't see any problem with signing a lot of running backs. We have seen repeatedly how quickly our stacked backfield can turn sparse in a matter of weeks.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL

Just look at Arkansas last year. They really needed a top quality back when Knile Davis went down.

Not to mention tsdtr could use a running back.

hddd

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 5, 2011

I'm excited to see roc play against tj posey Friday to see how they match up against each other

subherbanite

1st Team
Jun 24, 2011
Nashville, TN

Yeah, but an injury, transfer or early departure would change things quickly. And a position change on a couple of guys is a realistic possibility.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

Sounds to me like he's a kid who has always wanted to play at 'Bama and he is just wanting to jump in early to assure his spot. Smart move on his part. Between Tenpenny, Jones, Scarborough, and possibly Henry, now is not the time to drag on the decision if you want to be in Tuscaloosa as a tailback.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

Given the kids we're supposedly after, is Rock a "take" this early in the cycle?

Sounds to me like he's a kid who has always wanted to play at 'Bama and he is just wanting to jump in early to assure his spot. Smart move on his part. Between Tenpenny, Jones, Scarborough, and possibly Henry, now is not the time to drag on the decision if you want to be in Tuscaloosa as a tailback.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

Given the kids we're supposedly after, is Rock a "take" this early in the cycle?
I imagine we would, no real reason not to do so. He's an in-state kid with offers from a lot of top programs, and he's got the kind of size to excel at tailback in our scheme. As long as the academics are solid, I wouldn't believe we would turn him away.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Many are comparing him to Cadillac Williams who was also from that area of Alabama. I have not seen film on him but if that is true he would be a "take".

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

Many are comparing him to Cadillac Williams who was also from that area of Alabama.
Not really sure about that, honestly. A few people have said it because he's an elusive kid from roughly the same areas as Cadillac, but I'm not sure the two will be all that similar.

Thomas is around 5'11 and 195 now as a fall semester junior, so he probably still has some room for some natural growth left. I would imagine that with some time in the S&C program we would probably have Thomas playing at a little bit heavier weight, and depending on how he takes the weight, he looks like he has the frame to play at 215-220 pounds. In contrast, Cadillac played at Auburn at around 200 pounds, and was always more of a scat back in running style. I think Thomas would bulk up some more and be more of a traditional singleback.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN

We are in on so many good RBs in '13 and '14 already, that it is a good idea to grab the spot if you can. Plus, some of the national names are going to look to start quickly, and that is not going to happen.
I look at Dee Hart who would have had considerable playing time last year before his injury and now T. J. Yeldon has played in both games so far. Therefore, playing time for a freshman is not unheard of. Now, losing JF for the year and Lacy seemingly hampered by his ankle and toe, these Fr will get more playing time as well as Drake.

04EMBAer

Sep 5, 2012

No huge overload, just a stockpile of talent that can and will probably be used all over the field. Its all part of the process. Roll Tide!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.