Pookie Powell/Cat Barber News

BamaMTA06

All-SEC
Sep 9, 2007
As everyone knows Cat is our #1 target at PG. What people may not know is Pookie Powell is a #2 option. He will decide announce where he is going this Saturday at noon. His top 3 are Bama, Memphis, and Illinois. Grant had an in home visit with Cat this past monday and Pookie this past wednesday. I think this announcement will tell us where we stand with Cat.

L'ville is out of the running for Cat. He visit NC State (don't get me started) this weekend and Bama the following weekend. Most years I'd be thrilled to get a player like Powell, but not if that means we lose out on Barber.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-RaShawn-Powell-128894

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I don't think we could go wrong with either one...

I think Cat has a more polished game to this point, but I love Powell's aggressive off the dribble...

BamaMTA06

All-SEC
Sep 9, 2007
Completely out of left field Cat Barber committed to NC State while on his visit. This is a shock to everyone.

BamaMTA06

All-SEC
Sep 9, 2007
I've never said this about a recruit before, but Barber is NC State simply does not pass the smell test. Either he has been lying to Bama, Kansas, and every recruiting service of Marky Mark put on one heck of a recruiting visit.

BamaMTA06

All-SEC
Sep 9, 2007
Last week L'ville released a statement saying they were no longer recruiting Cat. Rumor has it that an incident took place on Cat's visit to L'Ville. Recruiting analyst have said that incident caused both Kansas and Bama to say no thanks. Before that incident Barber was all but ours so we didn't recruit Powell as hard as we would have had that not been the case. Powell went with Memphis b/c they showed him the most love. This sucks. Cat was scheduled to take his OV visit to Bama Sept 22-23. He'd then make a decision soon after. I have no clue if we still get our visit.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
In the case of Barber, then good. Let CMG deal with the headache, if that's the case. Maybe Powell still takes his visit, and has a change of heart. As I said earlier, I always leaned towards Powell...I like his style of play.

BamaMTA06

All-SEC
Sep 9, 2007
Maybe go hard for the next year at PGS, and look for a top Juco this year?

Anyone in on what Plan C is?
I'm thinking we continue to fill our need in the post. Maybe we can get a commit from JuJuan Johnson. He can play pg, but is a natural sg. Other than that we wait until 2014.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
Barber’s academic struggles and off-the-court troubles chased off droves of big-name schools, allowing NC State to jump into the fray fairly late in the recruitment. Only Alabama, Louisville, Kansas and Florida State had extended offers to Barber that remained on the table by the time Gottfried and his staff got involved. And of those four, only Alabama continued to pursue Barber with much vigor.
This seems contradictory to me. If Barber was such the problem off the courts, then I doubt CAG would have been pursuing Barber was such "vigor" as the article claim. This articles has spin all over it.

BamaMTA06

All-SEC
Sep 9, 2007
This seems contradictory to me. If Barber was such the problem off the courts, then I doubt CAG would have been pursuing Barber was such "vigor" as the article claim. This articles has spin all over it.
I don't know how much stock I put into that article, but I always found it odd he didn't get a sniff from UNC and Duke. At one point he was basically begging for a Duke offer. Pure speculation, but Barber is the type of player a program like ours has to take a risk on until that player does something beyond stupid.

BamaMTA06

All-SEC
Sep 9, 2007
Looks like we have turned our attention to PG Tim Quarterman. It could be a case of being late too the party.

Last edited:

HendersonKYTide

3rd Team
Nov 27, 2006
No such thing as "tall for a PG" if he has the skill set. Would love to see a PG with some range to dump the ball down low.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Pookie Powell went to Memphis and redshirted. He know is transferring. Wonder if Bama would take him.

@TheCAJasonSmith: Memphis redshirt freshman guard Pookie Powell plans to transfe

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.