Highly impressed with Coach Doug Nussmeier's playcalling.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
There was more to it. Before spring training, Major went into Saban's office and demanded that he be named sole - rather than co - OC. That made it easy for Saban...
Thanks for this, Earle.

Wow!

Going into CNS' office and demanding anything would strike me as being a career-limiting move...

kayakerjess

All-American
Sep 9, 2005
Colorado
There was more to it. Before spring training, Major went into Saban's office and demanded that he be named sole - rather than co - OC. That made it easy for Saban...
Wow, that must have taken some...gumption for Major to pull a move like that.

I'm thinking Coach Saban pressed the auto-close button for his office door on that one... :D

BamasRollin

Scout Team
Sep 8, 2010
I am really impressed as well with CDN's playcalling so far... seems like he loves to spread the ball around and get as many playmakers involved as possible... for some reason i felt like we watched the offense step up to another level vs arky, hopefully they can stay there

i agree on the red zone playcalling as well, looks like a stalled drive will be the exception instead of the rule

jangalang

All-SEC
Feb 16, 2003
Miami, FL
After a little more thought, I think that we possibly may see, if AJ goes down, exactly what we saw on Saturday - a split QB package. Although he's not done it here, he's played a two-QB system before and he's commented on how Ely and Sims are neck and neck.
Maybe Coach is preparing for next season...assuming AJ goes pro.

M2J

All-American
Jan 28, 2007
I understand no one is dissing coach McElwain here, but who knows what he would've done with this offense?

He installed a lot of the various offensive sets that keeps our offense as multiple as the defense, and the truly the only thing you could negatively say about coach Mac is that we never developed a great passing attack. An effective one for sure, but nothing special.

However, Coach Mac developed AJ McCarron into the offensive MVP we saw last season in the BCS game. McElroy didn't have the talent to take advantage of the talent he had in 09 or 10. AJ was still developing last season also. And still has a lot to prove this season, but its obvious Coach Saban knows AJ and our receivers have the talent to have a top passing attack and I'm sure it would've been featured with Coach Mac as well, including in the redzone.

Time will tell with coach Nuss, but he seems to be a great fit. However, I'll maintain for now that the difference with this offense this season is the QB, and that was something we all felt would be an improvement over any team we've had in the Saban era.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
I don't think anyone has anything but Great things to say & sincere appreciation for CJM. He layer the ground work for this team today. But we have to admit this is a totally different team when they get close to the end zone. I know the line has a lot to do with it but really I have not seen the Bama offense be this hot since the wishbone days.

For that Coach Nussmeier deserves a lot of the praise.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
To go back to the discussion about the use of Sims...

I don't know if we're preparing to make use of him as a zone read QB in big games or not but I kind of doubt it. I could be wrong but here is my logic: the zone read offense is a lot like the wishbone triple option. In the triple option offense, you will call a dozen interior handoffs and QB follows to setup the one big lateral to pop off the perimeter. Running an effective wishbone offense required dedication and commitment to the offense's series of plays and their setup. Similarly, the zone read requires commitment - a large number of plays - to become a factor for big plays.

On one hand we did show some interesting wrinkles already with Sims at quarterback. It appears that early in Sims time at quarterback against Arkansas we attempted the modified triple option look that Meyer/Mullens/RichRod popularized where the slot receiver becomes the third pitchman option. The play was either poorly blocked or Arkansas was simply on top of the play before it happened, but it certainly appeared that we were setting up an opportunity for Sims to pitch it off to a receiver for a big gain. This shows that we have installed some plays in the event we actually do use the zone read in the regular offense. With this in mind, we've probably installed some other triple option shotgun looks where we use wide receiver motion to create a counter option play.

On the other hand, to setup all these big plays in the zone read it would mean letting Sims take the reins of the offense for a series or more. When we have a quarterback with 4 years of experience in the offense ahead of Sims, it is hard to argue that we couldn't just make the same big plays with McCarron handing it off and complementing it with his slick play action fake. I think the extensive use of Sims has been more about a fallback plan in the event McCarron gets injured. They may feel Ely is still a work in progress and Sims' additional constraints on the defense defending the handoff may be better for the offensive flow than what Ely can provide today as a play action passer. They've probably just spent more time preparing a package for Sims because McCarron is already very experienced in the offense and doesn't need all the practice snaps which gives a better insurance policy if the experienced guy goes down.
I look at in the way LSU used Ryan Perrilloux in 2007 every few series to throw different stuff at defenses other than just losing Matt Flynn the whole game (who is in the NFL right now). Not sure Sims is as good as Perrilloux but he brings some of the option and scrambling ability that McCarron dosen't possess. If it limits the number of hits McCarron takes while also adding an extra dimension to the offense I'm happy.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I look at in the way LSU used Ryan Perrilloux in 2007 every few series to throw different stuff at defenses other than just losing Matt Flynn the whole game (who is in the NFL right now). Not sure Sims is as good as Perrilloux but he brings some of the option and scrambling ability that McCarron dosen't possess. If it limits the number of hits McCarron takes while also adding an extra dimension to the offense I'm happy.
He's not but he is definitely smarter.

miggy402

1st Team
Aug 23, 2009
Waycross, GA
Just want to say, I'm really impressed with CDM's playcalling on that final drive. Takes a lot of guts to call a screen on 2nd and 10 with less than a min to play and no TO's. I was worried to death in that 2nd half, but its nice to know we have a guy who can make the thought calls when we need it! RTR!

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Nussmeier - not unlike McElwain - has times where his calls make you wonder why... but CDM seems to have even more of those 'brilliant' calls per game then CJM did, imo. Still too early to crown CDN better than CJM - McElwain's four year record is ridiculous - but I think we might see an even more aggressive yet balances offense with CDM than we saw with CJM.

Regardless, we're talking about an EMBARRASSMENT of riches....

chuxlee

3rd Team
Dec 6, 2008
I do love how he mixes it up, that being said I was really hoping to pound it more like what Florida did to LSU

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett
Too many pass plays called. On 2nd and 3 you don't call two pass plays when the Oline is doing so well. CDN is a good coach, but he should have called more run plays, AJ could always Audi or out of them.

DownUnder

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 7, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
I did think we got away from the run too much in the third qtr. it had been successful in he first half, so to ignore it was a mistake that could have cost. Final drive obviously was great, perhaps as much execution as play calling. Enjoying the offense being more explosive this year for sure and a finish it mentality in red zone.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Too many pass plays called. On 2nd and 3 you don't call two pass plays when the Oline is doing so well. CDN is a good coach, but he should have called more run plays, AJ could always Audi or out of them.
We don't know that he didn't. AJ was changing plays at the line all night trying to take advantage of what the defense was giving

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL

Generally speaking, the play calls in the second half were strange, and it probably didn't help that AJ was channeling whataburger to some degree for most of the game.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Yeah, I have to agree with you. I think that play was when CNS decided it was time to part ways with Applewhite.
Actually, Major walked into Coach's office after the season and demanded to have total control of the offense. That made it very easy for Coach...

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
The 2nd and 3 on the first or second drive were we threw twice was tough to watch. I was stunned how far away from the run we got in the second half. It seemed like we thought we were down 7 with a minute left jnstead of 3 with 7 minutes left. I read an article saying barret suggested running a screen on te last drive. Glad we hit it at the right time.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.