Defensive/Offensive concerns going forward...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
OK, I can hear those thoughts. "What's he talking about; it was a shutout; can't we just enjoy this for 24 hours?" :D It's true that we didn't give up any sacks after six last week. I'm afraid that was due in several cases last week to AJ's not holding the ball. Of course, most of the time, we held well on pass blocking yesterday, but we weren't playing a defensive powerhouse, by any means. I think that we're continuing to be vulnerable to speed rushers on the outside. If not before, LSU will test that thoroughly. On the good side, we're now using DJ's right foot for misdirection. Twice that I noticed last night, DJ drew that right foot back and we ran left. ;)

On the safeties, I'll be anxious to talk to someone who was at the game. It's just so hard to follow the DBs on TV. However, the corners looked excellent, from what I could see. In the few views we had showing the safeties, it was apparent they were not in correct position sometimes. The Hogs weren't in a position to take much advantage of it because of the ineffective QBing (with which we, of course, had something to do ). Ha-Ha was in great position for his INT. On Vinnie's, I hope Danielson's analysis was correct and what I saw was wrong, but it looked to me like they were trying the double move WKU used on us. Vinnie broke to the outside and the WR broke behind him, as if they were a dance team. IOW, it looked like the receiver led the QB right to Vinnie. Of course, the ball was under-thrown, but I just don't think the QB expected to find VS there in the way. If the WR had continued his pattern to the middle, Vinnie would not have been in the neighborhood and he would have been wide open. I'd welcome analysis/correction by anyone.

The WKU/UK score yesterday was an eye-opener. I can already hear the SEC is overrated cries...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think that your defense (meaning the type that Saban runs) will always have open receivers in the middle of the field - especially tight ends. But the safety concern is really on the deep pass, and yesterday your defensive front seven turned up the heat. Allen didn't have time to wait for the long routes to open up. You guys didn't even try to do that against Michigan (deciding to focus soley on containment of DR) or you might not have been scored upon in that game.

As for QB protection - I still think that your tackles are a little slow off the snap. Given your dependence on McCarron, this should concern you until the last snap of the last game of the season. You are one lucky hit on your QB away from disaster. Then again, this is football - every team has similar risks/concerns, but the other teams have a much longer list.

You have the most talented and best coached team in the country. Scary good. If your players stay focused.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
The SEC looks pretty down top to bottom compared to recent years, so we'll likely be seeing a lot of those cries coming.

You covered a lot of the things I would mention, although I would add that Vinnie's tendency to just try to go for the big lick instead of wrapping up is going to give up a touchdown at some point this season if he doesn't stop doing it. It was also nice after his late hit on the quarterback that CBS showed Saban calmly talking to Vinnie and one of the other players teaching instead of only the cameras only showing him ranting and raving at them.

OK, I can hear those thoughts. "What's he talking about; it was a shutout; can't we just enjoy this for 24 hours?" :D It's true that we didn't give up any sacks after six last week. I'm afraid that was due in several cases last week to AJ's not holding the ball. Of course, most of the time, we held well on pass blocking yesterday, but we weren't playing a defensive powerhouse, by any means. I think that we're continuing to be vulnerable to speed rushers on the outside. If not before, LSU will test that thoroughly. On the good side, we're now using DJ's right foot for misdirection. Twice that I noticed last night, DJ drew that right foot back and we ran left. ;)

On the safeties, I'll be anxious to talk to someone who was at the game. It's just so hard to follow the DBs on TV. However, the corners looked excellent, from what I could see. In the few views we had showing the safeties, it was apparent they were not in correct position sometimes. The Hogs weren't in a position to take much advantage of it because of the ineffective QBing (with which we, of course, had something to do ). Ha-Ha was in great position for his INT. On Vinnie's, I hope Danielson's analysis was correct and what I saw was wrong, but it looked to me like they were trying the double move WKU used on us. Vinnie broke to the outside and the WR broke behind him, as if they were a dance team. IOW, it looked like the receiver led the QB right to Vinnie. Of course, the ball was under-thrown, but I just don't think the QB expected to find VS there in the way. If the WR had continued his pattern to the middle, Vinnie would not have been in the neighborhood and he would have been wide open. I'd welcome analysis/correction by anyone.

The WKU/UK score yesterday was an eye-opener. I can already hear the SEC is overrated cries...
I'm still concerned with the secondary, but the not usual worries. I'm more worried about the focus than the play. One thing though is the intermediate throws. It needs to be cleaned up on D. If it is, then how will people move the ball?

Offense, well, if you have to nitpick, it has to be speed rush. Arky is an SEC defense regardless. On second check last week AJ did hold the ball too long. I can see where we adjust to it and if we do, how will anyone stop us? The middle is rock solid, diamond, and rushing the ball is no problem.

SEC has always been top heavy. That will never change. Roll Tide.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
I have concerns with inconsistent play at the tackle position and with the backups in the secondary. We are well coached however and our next big test is four weeks away against Mizzou on the road. That game and the one against UT will help our young guys improve before the LSU game.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
I understand the concerns on defense as well. But what is promising is how much we improved from the first weeks till now. We have a few games before facing a threat at QB. So I have faith that we will get even better.

The o-line was much improved and Aj definitely didn't hold the ball too long like last time.

But this is completely different than 2010 and I see it as their attitude and focus. If they stay focused, we can be really special this year.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I have concerns with inconsistent play at the tackle position and with the backups in the secondary. We are well coached however and our next big test is four weeks away against Mizzou on the road. That game and the one against UT will help our young guys improve before the LSU game.
I may be wrong, but I see DJ probably as a guard in the NFL. Also think our best LT is playing center. OTOH, CNS is recruiting pro set-type OTs. It's just hard to predict the development path of young OLs...

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
IMO we still do not have the pass rush needed against a team like LSU or UGA which exacerbates the shortcomings we have at the safety position. Our OL is much better at run blocking than pass protection at this point in the season; I hope this will improve before we face a defense with a pulse. I know it is hard to argue our performance so far, but thing are going to get tougher as the season progresses and that includes every team including au.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
I may be wrong, but I see DJ probably as a guard in the NFL. Also think our best LT is playing center. OTOH, CNS is recruiting pro set-type OTs. It's just hard to predict the development path of young OLs...
I agree and have wondered if Coach will move Barret over to left tackle just for the LSU game.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
I agree on handling the speed rush from the outside. Our tackles just seem a step slow on pass protection. Hopefully, the staff has an "inside" wrinkle we haven't seen yet to offset that if/when it becomes a problem for us during a game.

We're obviously missing Barron even more than we probably thought we would; but I think the secondary will be okay with more seasoning.

Had a conversation yesterday with a friend who's a Vol fan. He commented that we have no weaknesses/issues. I explained our problems with the speed rush and inexperience in the secondary. His response, "Cry me a river. Must be nice to be able to pinpoint your only two deficencies." Haha. Hard to argue with that.

Drewy26

1st Team
Aug 16, 2008
Montgomery, AL
IMO we still do not have the pass rush needed against a team like LSU or UGA which exacerbates the shortcomings we have at the safety position. Our OL is much better at run blocking than pass protection at this point in the season; I hope this will improve before we face a defense with a pulse. I know it is hard to argue our performance so far, but thing are going to get tougher as the season progresses and that includes every team including au.
No offense to anyone on our schedule, but I really don't see that happening before Nov. 3.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
WKU had the best QB we've seen so far, and I'm still concerned about the secondary. Milliner is playing at a high level, but the others are still young. Not Auburn young, which means no coaching, but young still. UThug has a puncher's chance with Bray, as does Mizzou with their spread. Hopefully, we get better back there.

OL played better, but OT pass protection is still an area to watch. LSU obviously is the big test there.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I guess if I were to look at our top three problems on Offense and Defense they would be the following:

OFFENSE
1. Overall Line Play - Not only does it seems like there are problems with the speed rush, but our run blocking leads to the backs doing a lot of work for their yards. We were succesful yesterday in both aspects, but I think it really just is as much due to Arkansas' lack of a defensive front as it was our success.

2. WR play - Though I am very excited with what I have witnessed to this point, and am having to kinda REACH to find another problem, this one may be the next on the list. Maybe it's because we play so many WR's, but it seems like consistency is an issue. The play actin game works wonderfully, because it creates seperation...but other then that, the route running is still a little bit off (fixable). Also there have been a few big drops (also fixable). I just hope AJ can build a real bond with a few guys, and get some consistent play.

3. QB confidence - Now, usually this would be for someone like Frazier from TSDTR, who has little confidence. What I am worried about (and yet another BIG stretch, but hey...) is AJ having too muh confidence, and going gun slinger one game... While that can lead to great plays, it can lead to silly mistakes (he forced a couple of throws yesterday). Like I said, I am just trying to nit pick just to look for improvement.

DEFENSE

1. DB/Safety communication - Something seems to get lost in translation at times with our secondary, and I wonder if it is from a communication stand point. We have had the benefit of 1.) succeeding on talent, and b.) not playing a team who can take advantage of any real miscues. The good thing? We have several weeks until we have a true test...

2. Pass Rush - The way our defense is designed, sacks aren't the designation of a pass rush. Put the QB in a position to make a bad decision, that's the game. We have did an okay job of that to this point, but against teams who we should have. When we play the teams on our schedule with real passing threats (Mizzou and UT) or great offensive lines (LSU) will we be able to provide the same pressure?

3.) Who leads the D? - Is there a TRUE vocal leader yet? When things get tough, who takes over on the field? That's the only other concern. When someone needs to step up, I believe they will..but who will it be?

When these are some on your "concerns" you have it really good. I think we, as a fan base, have been conditioned by CNS to look for the little things...because he does the same. Little things can become big problems if not taken care of. I don't consider this as being negative or nit picky, but I try to look for something we can improve on each week. Even if it is how we walk out for the coin toss! I just learned from the master...

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
I agree with matt0424. We, as a fanbase, have definitely taken on the personality of CNS! He has us all going through the process. :)

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA

I'll tackle the WKU/UK game first. I've followed Bama football since the early 60's and one thing is consistent, whether a team wins or loses against us the next week they're down. It just takes so much out of a team to play Bama. That tells me WKU is a very good football team.

As for Vinnie, he played the interception play perfectly since his role was zone coverage. He covered his man through his zone responsibility and you could tell he was taken aback that another receiver was coming into his zone from the other side. He made the switch and so did our other guy on the receiver Vinnie released to him.

You're right it's hard to tell what's going on with the DB's on TV but I did see #27, Perry, screw up more than once.

As for our defense overall, it's obvious CNS is playing a lot of guys trying to get as much game time experience as possible. With our coaches ability to coach our players up week to week I think it's possible we may have a much better defense at the end of the year than last year.

Offensively, some of what's going on there is experimentation and obfuscation, especially as it relates to blocking schemes. I think until CNS has to reveal how we will handle better defenses and their schemes, a la LSU, we're going to see just base blocking.

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
well, here we are, disecting our teams weaknesses again. sorry, yes, we have a few weaknesses, but i havent seen a team play this year that doesnt. it seems we are demanding pefection, just like coach. i am so impressed with the talent on this team, maybe the most we have ever had. our qb is solid, and is playing with confidence like i never seen before. our receivers, are very young, but, more talented as receivers, and more speed than i can remember. the offensive line is excellent, sure, we have large tackles, and they are bound to have a few times they are beat by a speed rusher. but, i have also noticed we are not playing two tight ends much, and when we play the best teams, there will be help there. running back, does anyone see much difference in depth, with starter lacey, yeldon, now hart, and drake. a lot of talent that will wear down defenses. and they are getting equal carries so far. defense: well, again have we ever had so much talent in the secondary. sure, they need to meld as a team, but, the speed, the aggression, the talent is there. our linebackers, wow how deep are these guys, we got dickson starting as a freshman, hubbard, sophmore, and the veterans johnson, mosley with depriest a sophmore. the def line jesse williams every bit as good as cody at plugging up the middle. we have been interchanging our def ends frequently. special teams are as good as we have seen in years. and most of all we still the maestro that puts all this together, with a strong staff. our guys will keep getting better each week, and they are capable of playing a title again.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I for one would prefer not to play a perfect game until November 3rd -- so I have no problem "nit picking" the weaknesses....

We'd like to win all of them 50-0 and keep the other team under 100 yards

WKU beating UK certainly helps our cause -- as does Michigan's apparent bounce back....

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
I'll go with 3rd DB, safety play, o-line cohesion, and getting off to a fast start on O.

Am I losing any sleep about any of it? No. I've been actively worrying about Alabama football since the late 60s. I know when times are good.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.