Question: Why would big time recruits look at any other University?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Alabama is a great school with a great tradition, but there are many other great schools with great traditions.

subherbanite

1st Team
Jun 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
Childhood dream, as a life-long UT fan can I seriously sign with Bama?(This was just an example, I am not, nor have I EVER been a Vol fan)
Location, how far is Bama compared to other schools?
Coaches, did the coach handling my recruitment just leave or is he rumored to leave?
Schemes, am I too big to play Jack, but too small needing 2 years with Cochran to play DE in a 3-4? What if I'm a scat-back being recruited in a power running system?

These are just a few that would come to mind. But I don't think most kids even get to these types of questions. I think they wanna go where they can run "buck wild" or where they'll be given the superstar treatment..............which means they don't belong on CNS's teams.

Last edited:

Dallas4Bama

Suspended
Sep 27, 2006
Dallas, Texas
If you read these post some of them take a really ridiculous tone towards recruits that chose someone other than Alabama. The statements like wanting to be a big fish in a little pond, don't want to have to compete, adore being in the spotlight, are afraid to be away from home, etc... all sound like sour grapes. There are some great universities out there with great academic and sports programs. Sometimes guys just want to go to those and its ok. There is nothing wrong with someone deciding to go somewhere else.

Last edited:

lafella

Hall of Fame
Nov 27, 2006
Baldwin County, AL.
Location, demeanor of coach ( some can't handle a coach like CNS they want fun!), playtime, allegiances etc etc. I think we can get many many more than other places, but plenty of reasons for kids to chose to go elsewhere. Hey if it's me I'm going to Bama lol

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
There was a study done a few years ago about what factors truly drive recruiting. It concluded that proximity to the recruits home was the most important factor by far. The further away from campus you got, it became increasingly difficult to get a player to sign with you.

Alabama is fortunate to have a rich history to offer, but we are truly fortunate that we sit so close to Florida, Georgia and Louisiana as well as the fact that the state of Alabama itself produces several big time prospects each year.

Dallas4Bama

Suspended
Sep 27, 2006
Dallas, Texas
There was a study done a few years ago about what factors truly drive recruiting. It concluded that proximity to the recruits home was the most important factor by far. The further away from campus you got, it became increasingly difficult to get a player to sign with you.

Alabama is fortunate to have a rich history to offer, but we are truly fortunate that we sit so close to Florida, Georgia and Louisiana as well as the fact that the state of Alabama itself produces several big time prospects each year.
I remember that study, but not the details. If my memory serves me though there was a definite radius in which recruiting was easier and past that point it became increasingly difficult each hundred miles.

BamaMTA06

All-SEC
Sep 9, 2007
If a high school kid doesn't really (subconsciously) really believe in himself, then he would subconsciously feel he'd never be first team at BAMA.
Yeah not so much. You can have all the self confidence in the world, but there are only so many snaps to be had.

Dallas4Bama

Suspended
Sep 27, 2006
Dallas, Texas
Some recruits and or their parents are looking for signing Bonuses and extra benefits outside the realm of the normal curriculum:wink:.
Clubfitter, don't take this as directed only at you because it applies to a lot of us, including myself sometimes. This type of response really cracks me up though considering there is another thread at the same time about why people assume top programs cheat. We ourselves tend to believe at times if a top recruit from the south and especially the state doesn't sign with BAMA that someone cheated. I do it to, but the response struck me as funny considering both of these subjects are being discussed at the same time.

buzzincuzzin

All-American
Jan 8, 2006
Enlighten me.
Drinking, drugging, and nightlife in general appeals to a lot of superstar 18year olds more-so than how shinny the weights are. Coach Saban is well known for being somewhat anal retentive when it comes to off the field expectations. It has cost us a high-end recruit or two every year and will continue to do so. Alabama ain't for everybody and I'm glad of it.

jeremy

Suspended
Nov 22, 2004
Alabama
Aside from the fact that there's more than 25 players each year who want to play college ball? Not everyone sees the world through crimson glasses like us.

bamapuppy

1st Team
Mar 28, 2008
Hillsborough, NC
I remember a few years back reading an article in the readers digest. It must have been 15 years ago, so I do not remember all of the details exactly. But, they was interviewing a kid, I believe that he was a QB, from Huntsville, AL. He had offers from BAMA, Tennessee, Florida, the Barn, and I believe Florida State. He chose Duke, and the reason that he stated was that he really wanted to be a doctor, and he had the grades for it, and he was offered a scholarship from Duke. He said that he could get a red- shirt, and be in Medical school before his scholarship played out. For him it was about getting the very best education available for his chosen profession. I really could not blame the kid.

TIDEnGA

All-American
Sep 25, 2007
Opelika, AL
Location, demeanor of coach ( some can't handle a coach like CNS they want fun!), playtime, allegiances etc etc. I think we can get many many more than other places, but plenty of reasons for kids to chose to go elsewhere. Hey if it's me I'm going to Bama lol
My first thought was some don't want to play for Saban. Anyone that was juking it up with Troopa is really not going to be interested in Saban and his style.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
The majority of kids grow up fans of state schools they live in..Take Brodie Croyle as an example..He could have went to any school in the country had he chose too(and he had his parents blessings to leave the state if he chose too)..Instead of dealing with the NCAA BS by going to Bama..But his dream was too play at Bama..And he followed that dream..99% of recruits are the same way..So it takes a special coach at a special school (pretty much like we have at Bama right now)..That can break those childhood dreams & get that recruit to come to another school..If that makes any sense..

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
I remember that study, but not the details. If my memory serves me though there was a definite radius in which recruiting was easier and past that point it became increasingly difficult each hundred miles.
4 hour drive was the radius. Anything beyond that is an increasingly difficult pull.

That's why UGA has such a problem with FSU and UF with south GA prospects. Valdosta is almost 5 hrs from UGA, but only a couple of hrs to FSU and UF.

Atlanta and Tuscaloosa are just below the 4 hr drive mark, so it makes recruiting the area much easier.

bamaslaw

All-SEC
Jan 16, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Let me put it like this. I graduated high school in 2003. With all of our struggles then, all of the turmoil, and what was going on at LSU or USC, if I was a 5 star player, I would have gone to Bama. That's just how it is for some guys.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Some may not have Crimson Tide blood running through their veins/arteries like we do. I just don't understand that either.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Aside from the fact that there's more than 25 players each year who want to play college ball? Not everyone sees the world through crimson glasses like us.
If I were a 5 Star recruit and had offers from universities all across the country, if Alabama didn't recruit me and my parents could afford the tuition, I would Walk On at Alabama and prove myself to Coach Saban! I'm just like Tommy Lewis, i.e. "Full of Alabama."

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.