Mel Kiper says Bama is overrated...

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
Re: Mel Kiper says Bama is overated

Thank you TideFans for not immediately jumping on Kiper just because he said we might be challenged this year. It's like a breath of fresh air.

Side note. I think I'm the only person who likes Kiper. This statement or whatever has nothing to do with that. I just like the fact that, unlike many people in similar positions, this guy does his homework.

brutetough

1st Team
Dec 11, 2010

well. It does not sound good, but it has some truth to it. The same can be said about every team in the country.

KrimsonNinja

All-SEC
Apr 22, 2009
Florida

Alabama has not been tested yet, even though people want to act like these were statement games
I think that can go for LSU, Oregon, Florida State, West Virginia, Clemson and Georgia as well. Just a few top 10 teams who have played "depleted" or weak competition. I know we haven't been truly tested, but Alabama isn't the only team to not prove themselves yet. And how is Michigan "depleted?"

Didn't Mel Kiper have the USC Trojans at #1? Talk about overrated.

dave12

All-SEC
Dec 14, 2002
hueytown, al. usa

I have no problem with what he said. We really haven't been tested yet, and we won't know what we have really got until we are tested. I think we're the best out there, but i'm no expert. But we do have an ace in the hole, CNS.

RTR:biga2:

BamaPokerplayer

All-American
Oct 10, 2004

I just want to know who has looked better against a higher SOS than us? LSU no, ducks no , Fsu no, Sooners no, is there anyone else? I agree we have not won the MNC but we should be ranked number one at the moment.

TriCountyTider

All-American
Aug 7, 2012

Overrated? As in another team has shown that they deserve to take the number 1 ranking above us? 3 weeks into the season please show me that team..

Quicksilver

1st Team
Mar 13, 2010
Ellicott City, MD

It is only Kiper's use of the word "overrated" that bothers me, not the substance of his remarks. If he is implying that Alabama should not be ranked #1 at this point in the season, then I disagree. If he is only cautioning everybody not to assume that Alabama will be one of the two teams in the next BCS NC game, then he is correct. In fact, he is sending the same message that CNS tries to communicate each week.

Marty Pants

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012

How can anyone take a guy seriously that wears his hair like Dracula?

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

I have no problem with his opinion..It's just that..His opinion..I don't agree with him or put much stock into his opinion..We're overrated as compared to what other team..Someone please show me a team that's been more impressive than Bama up to this point in the season..I'm not trying too be a homer..But..Alabama has played better than any team in the Nation..And it's not been close so far this season as too who the best team in the Nation is..JMO

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

We are tested everyday in practice.....

You gonna tell me that Barrett and Jesse aren't tested? How about CJ/Nico vs Eddie/TJ......

By definition if he thinks we are the 2nd best team we are overrated --

But, does anyone really think we aren't good enough to play for the BCSCG?

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture

he basically is just saying it's not a no brainer that Bama is going to win it all. a lot of people are penciling Bama in and I think thats a bit pre-mature this early unless you are a Bama fan. I dont think he has a problem with Bama being 1st in the polls. that is actually a decent article

RollTide_12

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 27, 2012
NC/Huntsville

Yeah....Mel Kiper. So what. Go back and look at his initial rankings. He was wrong! Bama is #1 and will stay there. Did he really say Missouri? Tennessee? Good luck with that!!!

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama

I am really enjoying watching all the college football shows on ESPNU. Since the majority is on the bandwagon and agree that we have been impressive. They even do a segment each week with Barrett Jones.

I have noticed some say FSU has a defense as good as ours. Ha, I would expect them to against savannah st and such. :rolleyes:

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006

I think the talk of invincibility, beating NFL teams and such is the target of his comments. I don't know how good we are yet. We haven't seen a passer who can attack our weak point, the young and somewhat thin secondary.

CrimsonBeachBum

1st Team
Jul 19, 2004
Pace, FL (Pensacola metro area)

He succeeded in what he wanted, everyone is talking about it in Alabama. Actually, this is good, maybe the players will hear this. :)
Agree and hope so. Also, being a "middle aged" and life-long Bama fan, my skin has grown much thicker and I've learned to control the knee -jerk reaction to the talking heads and just let their comments roll. After all, they're just comments. I,too am looking forward to watching and seeing how well this team performs with better competition and under more unique/competitive circumstances and conditions. Still, not a more impressive team in the country than Bama through week 3.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame

I'm struggling to see why everyone is saying Missouri is going to be such a tough of a game. Even we do give up some passing plays, in what world have they shown they can stop our offense? They are giving up 24 points/games (32 if you take away Southeastern La). Do you think they can match us point for point? I don't.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.