Anybody else watching Trent Richardson's NFL career go down the drain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
If it were up to me, Trent would be playing for the Falcons. Could you imagine that backfield with Trent and Michael Turner? Not to mention, Julio at WR. Atlanta would be a force, no doubt.

TIDEnGA

All-American
Sep 25, 2007
Opelika, AL
I watched the Browns last night for the first time. Just wondering if they've ever watched tape of what Trent did at Alabama. What a novel idea. :rolleyes: I mean the announcers obviously did. They pay him millions of dollars yet don't even know all his strengths. It was like the 3rd or 4th Q before they ever effetively threw to him out of the backfield. Geez.

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
Why do you care? You are boycotting the NFL, remember? ;)
We were discussing a game that made my "boycott" decision. I obviously have a very huge problem with that game (Seahawks vs. Packers). That is why I care...

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
From that standpoint yes. But I'm not looking at it from that broad of a perspective (his financial security, it's a "job" etc.) I'm looking at it from a fan's perspective. The perspective of wanting Trent to have a career that is inline with his physical talent. As Redstar has mentioned. The Texans have been in business for less time than the Browns and both organizations couldn't be further apart. Granted, it doesn't mean the Browns cannot or will not change the culture. But after 13 years of bad management, bad decisions, bad draft picks and one blundering season after another. It is hard to put confidence they will all of a sudden start making more right decisions than wrong.
In any sport, not all teams are going to be perennial winners and not all Alabama draft picks are going to go to perennial winners. The way the draft is set up, the perennial losers get the best players initially out of the draft and Alabama, as of now, is producing some of the world's best players. We as Alabama fans need to root for our former players but need to also get used to them going to perennial loser teams. It is the way of professional sports, like it or not. I'm sure Trent would rather have been taken early, bigger payday and be on a losing team, than be taken later in the draft, less money, and be on a winning team.

In any sport, not all teams are going to be perennial winners and not all Alabama draft picks are going to go to perennial winners. The way the draft is set up, the perennial losers get the best players initially out of the draft and Alabama, as of now, is producing some of the world's best players. We as Alabama fans need to root for our former players but need to also get used to them going to perennial loser teams. It is the way of professional sports, like it or not. I'm sure Trent would rather have been taken early, bigger payday and be on a losing team, than be taken later in the draft, less money, and be on a winning team.
Heh... as much as I liked Greg McElroy at Alabama, I don't ever see me cheering for him in the pros until he changes uniforms. The same pretty much goes for any of our players not playing for the Patriots. I hope they have good careers and take care of themselves financially, but that's about it.

Case in point: Even though they ended up winning, I wasn't about to hope Upshaw and Cody had a good game against New England on Sunday night. I wanted them and the rest of their team to stumble big.

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
Heh... as much as I liked Greg McElroy at Alabama, I don't ever see me cheering for him in the pros until he changes uniforms. The same pretty much goes for any of our players not playing for the Patriots. I hope they have good careers and take care of themselves financially, but that's about it.

Case in point: Even though they ended up winning, I wasn't about to hope Upshaw and Cody had a good game against New England on Sunday night. I wanted them and the rest of their team to stumble big.
To each their own...I am in no way writing scripture on how an Alabama fan SHOULD act towards former players. Just stating my over-inflated/ego opinion is all.

Last edited:

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Maybe the numbers will show differently but from just watching the game, they passed on 1st down a LOT. Then I saw where Brad Childress is doing the play calling. No surprise there.

I don't necessarily think they should run Trent in the ground, but 25 touches a game should be mandatory. Had 18 total touches last night. That extra 7 may have been game changing.
touching the ball 25-30 times a season for a running back is a career shortener, IMO. Being balanced and managing how much strain he gets is better for a lengthy career.

Pass happy league, not run happy league.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
To each their own...I am in no way writing scripture on how an Alabama fan SHOULD act towards former players. Just stating my over-inflated/ego opinion is all.
if you have to cheer for individual players, how do you decide what pro team you support. Bama players sit on a LOT of NFL rosters. I root for Alabama, and cheer for the players success, but not at the expense of the pro team I support. Once pro, the allegiance is lost...even though I wish them much success in their careers.

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
if you have to cheer for individual players, how do you decide what pro team you support. Bama players sit on a LOT of NFL rosters. I root for Alabama, and cheer for the players success, but not at the expense of the pro team I support. Once pro, the allegiance is lost...even though I wish them much success in their careers.

Cheer however you want to cheer. I honestly don't care if you never watch another NFL game in your life.

**************To each their own...I am in no way writing scripture on how an Alabama fan SHOULD act towards former players. Just stating my over-inflated/ego opinion is all.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
This is easy for me, I do not have a pro team I cheer for. I just watch and hope the former Bama players do well.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Cheer however you want to cheer. I honestly don't care if you never watch another NFL game in your life.

**************To each their own...I am in no way writing scripture on how an Alabama fan SHOULD act towards former players. Just stating my over-inflated/ego opinion is all.
...and I appreciate the sentiment, may I pass it back ten fold...

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I completely understand all of that. Doesn't mean I can't express my displeasure of it though. As competitive as Trent is I'm not so sure I'd go as far to say "I'm sure..." he would rather have a bigger payday and perpetually play on a losing team or take less money and be on a winning team. The "less" money still big time money.

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
I completely understand all of that. Doesn't mean I can't express my displeasure of it though. As competitive as Trent is I'm so sure I'd go as far to say "I'm sure..." would rather have a bigger payday and perpetually play on a losing team or take less money and be on a winning team. The "less" money still big time money.
I have never heard an athlete say after the draft is over, "I am so glad I didn't go in the early rounds, after Mel Kiper and all the guru's had predicted me to go top 5, because now I get to play for a championship competing team. That means so much more to me than the "larger money", because now I will still make millions!!!"

I have also never seen an athlete during the draft pump his fist when he wasn't picked in the top 5 by a mediocre team because he knew that the next few picks/rounds were going to be of a higher caliber team. Players play the game for money, it is that simple. Winning a championship is icing on the cake. But will all that said, making as much money from the NFL is the ultimate goal. Player's know their careers will not last forever (just look at the average NFL rb's life span) and that what they are doing can not be sustained over the rest of their lives.

And yes you can express your displeasure all you want. Show me where I have attacked and told you not to use this forum as a means to express yourself...

The only "issue" I had with what you said, is the title of your thread. Just because TR is not on a perennial winning team does not mean he has not done/accomplished his part of the agreement. Football is a team sport played by 11 men on each side at all times (unless you are Tennessee trying to stop LSU on the goal line).

Last edited:

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
With the collander of a O line, TR will find it hard going all season. We were all thrilled when he was selected 3rd but the reason the Browns could pick third was and is that they are a bad team. Hope TR gets through his four years of his contract basically unscathed and he can then go to a real football team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.