Anybody else watching Trent Richardson's NFL career go down the drain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I just wish posters who are fans of other schools would mostly stay out of these threads.....i find myself reading their posts, and then after I feel like I had bad fish.....

But, wishes are for suckers.....

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I think it is very cool that Alexander and others (like Edgerrin James) have reached out to Trent to try and help him. Good lord he needs it. I don't know what the real problem is but I'd sure hate to see talent like his wasted. Because he definitely has the tools to be successful.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
I think it is very cool that Alexander and others (like Edgerrin James) have reached out to Trent to try and help him. Good lord he needs it. I don't know what the real problem is but I'd sure hate to see talent like his wasted. Because he definitely has the tools to be successful.
"The Edge" worked with him and counseled him a lot last off season, and it didn't do much good for this year. Maybe they've got enough data and video to pinpoint the issues and make some corrections, but I still think it will take a full transition to a new system and team climate for Trent to find success.

hacksaw830

2nd Team
Jan 20, 2007
I think that's the problem, over analyzing and over thinking . All of that is fine and dandy but playing running back is not rocket science (see Marshawn "the tool" Lynch) Trent needs to go back to his roots and just run hard, he ran like a mad man in HS and College because he punished people, he runs like hes stepping on eggs now. Trent runs too soft he needs to not think so much and start pounding, then he will start to pop some big plays.
"The Edge" worked with him and counseled him a lot last off season, and it didn't do much good for this year. Maybe they've got enough data and video to pinpoint the issues and make some corrections, but I still think it will take a full transition to a new system and team climate for Trent to find success.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
New article from espn regarding Trent. As we all figured, he didn't do himself a while lot of favors. The weight gain is surprising, but it does account for why he seemed so slow. For him to gain 15lbs during the course of the season either means he stopped caring, or he was hitting the weights way too hard. Either way he was sabotaging his own career. As far as not alerting your team of missing a meeting, that's inexcusable. I don't care what phone problems you are having, borrow a phone or hit a pay phone. Trent seems to have developed some troubles between the ears, and at this point he is his own worst enemy. Take a look:

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?stor...op&rand=ref~{"ref":"https://www.google.com/"}

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
I think that's the problem, over analyzing and over thinking . All of that is fine and dandy but playing running back is not rocket science (see Marshawn "the tool" Lynch) Trent needs to go back to his roots and just run hard, he ran like a mad man in HS and College because he punished people, he runs like hes stepping on eggs now. Trent runs too soft he needs to not think so much and start pounding, then he will start to pop some big plays.
Easy to say unless you've had a pretty significant concussion like he's been rumored to have recieved.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
New article from espn regarding Trent. As we all figured, he didn't do himself a while lot of favors. The weight gain is surprising, but it does account for why he seemed so slow. For him to gain 15lbs during the course of the season either means he stopped caring, or he was hitting the weights way too hard. Either way he was sabotaging his own career. As far as not alerting your team of missing a meeting, that's inexcusable. I don't care what phone problems you are having, borrow a phone or hit a pay phone. Trent seems to have developed some troubles between the ears, and at this point he is his own worst enemy. Take a look:

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?stor...op&rand=ref~{"ref":"https://www.google.com/"}
Here's the part about Trent's weight issues:

Things started to change for Richardson against Cincinnati on Oct. 19, when he suffered a hamstring injury and had to sit out the fourth quarter after rushing for 77 yards through the first three.

That's when Richardson's weight issue started to take off. He began the season at 225 pounds, but his weight had ballooned up to around 240 pounds later in the season, according to a source.
He starts the season at 225 and gets up to around 240? What was he doing during the week? Did he not participate during practice? Would think he would lose weight during that along with weight room workouts (we know Trent's love for weights). Like you said, he may have gotten too busy in the weigh room, causing the weight gain.

I question why the Colts didn't attempt to address the weight issues during the season. If they did, surely ESPN's source would have mentioned it. Colts fans might want to begin asking what's going on within the organization if the GM or Pagano didn't try to address Trent's issues.

First, Irsay has his own problems. Second, the GM is rumored to be the one that under-inflated the Patriots' football in order to get the NFL looking into the situation. Now, we hear Trent gained 15 pounds in four months (taking the article's date of October 19 as the beginning).

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
If the story about his weight gain is true, it's very unlikely it was muscle. It's very hard to put on 15 lbs of muscle while having a hamstring injury. It was likely fat that he gained from not being able to run and do conditioning drills.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
If the story about his weight gain is true, it's very unlikely it was muscle. It's very hard to put on 15 lbs of muscle while having a hamstring injury. It was likely fat that he gained from not being able to run and do conditioning drills.
This. I doubt he put on 15 lbs of muscle. With a hamstring issue I doubt he was able implement much of any cardio into his workouts. I also doubt he cut back on his eating to compensate for his lack of activity while having the injury.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
This. I doubt he put on 15 lbs of muscle. With a hamstring issue I doubt he was able implement much of any cardio into his workouts. I also doubt he cut back on his eating to compensate for his lack of activity while having the injury.
I thought about the injury having a role in the weight gain, but wouldn't the trainers, doctors, etc. have a plan to help him stay at his weight?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I thought about the injury having a role in the weight gain, but wouldn't the trainers, doctors, etc. have a plan to help him stay at his weight?
Just pure speculation but the trainers cannot force someone to stick to a diet regime. They may have told Trent that since he can't be as active (with hamstring injury) he's going to need to cut back on the calories. But Trent may have ignored the instructions. I'm thinking before they went and dumped on their RB they would have investigated whether the people hired to keep him in shape were doing their jobs. But who knows?

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
Here's the part about Trent's weight issues:

He starts the season at 225 and gets up to around 240? What was he doing during the week? Did he not participate during practice? Would think he would lose weight during that along with weight room workouts (we know Trent's love for weights). Like you said, he may have gotten too busy in the weigh room, causing the weight gain.

I question why the Colts didn't attempt to address the weight issues during the season. If they did, surely ESPN's source would have mentioned it. Colts fans might want to begin asking what's going on within the organization if the GM or Pagano didn't try to address Trent's issues.

First, Irsay has his own problems. Second, the GM is rumored to be the one that under-inflated the Patriots' football in order to get the NFL looking into the situation. Now, we hear Trent gained 15 pounds in four months (taking the article's date of October 19 as the beginning).
I don't think it's fair to pin his weight on the colts organization. The article doesn't say anything about what might have been done to control his weight, it just talks about the weight gain. For all we know they tried to keep him on a particular workout or diet regimen and he didn't comply. At the end of the day, those were choices made by Trent, not the organization.

Also, the idea that Grigson was behind deflategate is laughable. No GM is going to put their entire career in jeopardy just to make another team look bad. It makes no sense, and the Ravens have also been reported as to being in contact about balls feeling light in their game.

The point we do agree on is that Jim Irsay is an idiot. He's made a lot of great decisions as an owner, but he's made a lot of bad ones as a person. Still, his history has nothing to do with the situation we are currently talking about.

I too have had many frustrations with how Trent was used by the Colts, and even how the fan base treated him. Still, with this information no excuses can be made for him. He could have controlled his weight more so than he did. You have to have a pretty awful diet to gain 15lbs in that short of a time frame. He could have made himself more accessible to the team, and he could have found a way to call in for the meeting. He had a job to do, and he didnt do it. It's that simple.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I don't think it's fair to pin his weight on the colts organization. The article doesn't say anything about what might have been done to control his weight, it just talks about the weight gain. For all we know they tried to keep him on a particular workout or diet regimen and he didn't comply. At the end of the day, those were choices made by Trent, not the organization.

I too have had many frustrations with how Trent was used by the Colts, and even how the fan base treated him. Still, with this information no excuses can be made for him. He could have controlled his weight more so than he did. You have to have a pretty awful diet to gain 15lbs in that short of a time frame. He could have made himself more accessible to the team, and he could have found a way to call in for the meeting. He had a job to do, and he didnt do it. It's that simple.
People will ask if the organization did anything to help him keep his weight down. Therefore, one would expect the source would cover the Colts' backside by saying something to put all blame on Trent.

I agree Trent is at fault here. Would seem like the Colts want to make sure all blame is put on Trent.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
People will ask if the organization did anything to help him keep his weight down. Therefore, one would expect the source would cover the Colts' backside by saying something to put all blame on Trent.

I agree Trent is at fault here. Would seem like the Colts want to make sure all blame is put on Trent.
We'll just have to agree to disagree, as I just don't see this as the Colts responsibility to cover anything. These players have contractual obligations to keep, they have access to personal trainers, nutritionists, and unlimited work-out time and equipment. I don't have any more access to the goings on behind the scenes, but I don't see how it's applicable information to say if what hoops they made Trent jump through.

Still everyone has their opinion, and I respect that is yours. I've made mine very clear, and to avoid coming across as argumentative, I'll just leave it at that. I guess I just have a different perspective since I'm wearing both Crimson and Blue glasses here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.