Anybody else watching Trent Richardson's NFL career go down the drain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Word on Twitter is that Trent's mother has passed away. Thus the "personal reasons". Prayers for him in this difficult and trying time. I'll post a link when I get a chance.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Word on Twitter is that Trent's mother has passed away. Thus the "personal reasons". Prayers for him in this difficult and trying time. I'll post a link when I get a chance.
I saw on ESPN and yahoo sports where some of the comments were making jokes about it.There are some horrible people out there hiding under user names.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
crimsonpride03 said... (original post)
“@USAFootballBlog: Wow. Just heard that Trent Richardson's mother died. His time with the #Colts has been a disaster, but leave him alone this week.”

Maybe out of respect, we should have a moment of silence for him and his family.... WE've been real hard on him lately, and maybe we need kinda show that we do care.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Healthy scratch for two weeks in a row in the playoffs for Trent. Pretty obvious what's coming next, which is that the Colts will cut him in the weeks ahead and probably just eat the cap number.

Don't know if Trent can catch on anywhere else. He's talented enough -- and will come cheap enough to another team -- that he'll get a shot this summer and fall to earn a roster spot somewhere, but it's not going to to be easy. It does help his case that, even for all of his struggles running the football, he has been a decent back in the pass game (both in protections and as a receiver), but unless he demonstrates tremendous progress as a runner in the next few months, he's going to have to become a special teams standout if he ever wants to play another down in the NFL again. NFL tailbacks consistently averaging fewer than 3.5 yards per carry are like MLB players hitting .160... they just don't exist.

TidePride50

3rd Team
Jan 16, 2010
Really hard to explain his demise. His rookie year with the Browns showed a lot of promise. Hard to believe that was the pinnacle of his career so far. Hope he gets another chance.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
So his mom did not pass away? That's good to hear. I'm also glad to see that Trent is hopefully set as long as he makes good investments and protects his money. He always seemed like a smart kid, so I am optimistic that he has protected his finances. I always loved him and how he balanced having kids at a very young age, playing football and attending school. He will be fine. I'm cheering for him!

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Really hard to explain his demise. His rookie year with the Browns showed a lot of promise. Hard to believe that was the pinnacle of his career so far. Hope he gets another chance.
I'm sure it's been discussed in the past but the 'Crown Rule' is what destroyed his game. I never realized him being able to lower his head vs not being able to lower it made such a difference but it obviously has to this point.

Personally though I think he doesn't have the elite vision needed to find holes fast enough. Averaging less than 3.5 YPC is pretty poor no matter how hard you try to justify it.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
I'm sure it's been discussed in the past but the 'Crown Rule' is what destroyed his game. I never realized him being able to lower his head vs not being able to lower it made such a difference but it obviously has to this point.

Personally though I think he doesn't have the elite vision needed to find holes fast enough. Averaging less than 3.5 YPC is pretty poor no matter how hard you try to justify it.
his problems go a lot farther than just not lowering his head.

sadly, sometimes great college players don't translate to the pro game...that seems to be the case with trent.

that being said, i can't feel but so sorry for a 25 year old who has more money than everyone in my family will make in our combined working lifetimes.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Healthy scratch for two weeks in a row in the playoffs for Trent. Pretty obvious what's coming next, which is that the Colts will cut him in the weeks ahead and probably just eat the cap number.

Don't know if Trent can catch on anywhere else. He's talented enough -- and will come cheap enough to another team -- that he'll get a shot this summer and fall to earn a roster spot somewhere, but it's not going to to be easy. It does help his case that, even for all of his struggles running the football, he has been a decent back in the pass game (both in protections and as a receiver), but unless he demonstrates tremendous progress as a runner in the next few months, he's going to have to become a special teams standout if he ever wants to play another down in the NFL again. NFL tailbacks consistently averaging fewer than 3.5 yards per carry are like MLB players hitting .160... they just don't exist.
he can block and catch and he's massive, perhaps he can transition to fullback.

remember tony mandarich who was declared a total bust until he transitioned from tackle to guard and had a very productive career?

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
all this talk about fullback needs to stop LOL. He's never going to transition to FB.... I think Colts will keep him through training camp and see what has improved and etc. But it might be good idea to move on and find a home.... I really think something is wrong with him physically and mentally... because we know Trent can hit hole faster and he can get more than 2 yards.. we know he can get to 90 100 yards per game... I really think he's distracted... Something tells me he'll finally get it next season...

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
he can block and catch and he's massive, perhaps he can transition to fullback.

remember tony mandarich who was declared a total bust until he transitioned from tackle to guard and had a very productive career?
This is my question for anybody that knows a hell of a lot more than I do about football in general and the pro game in particular. Is it possible for Trent to "remake" himself into a FB type? It`s not like he`s totally without skills and he`s certainly young enough I would think.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
all this talk about fullback needs to stop LOL. He's never going to transition to FB.... I think Colts will keep him through training camp and see what has improved and etc. But it might be good idea to move on and find a home.... I really think something is wrong with him physically and mentally... because we know Trent can hit hole faster and he can get more than 2 yards.. we know he can get to 90 100 yards per game... I really think he's distracted... Something tells me he'll finally get it next season...
I would be surprised if Trent is still on the team past March. He's basically become useless for the Colts.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
This is my question for anybody that knows a hell of a lot more than I do about football in general and the pro game in particular. Is it possible for Trent to "remake" himself into a FB type? It`s not like he`s totally without skills and he`s certainly young enough I would think.
the only reason i bring it up is that other running backs have done it (even if against their will) such as marcus allen, who was forced into the fullback role after bo jackson was drafted by the raiders.

russtang

All-American
Apr 11, 2007
Central Alabama
www.uniquetitanium.com
I'm thinking it's something along this line.
It wouldn't hurt him to lose 15 lbs to be a little quicker, but I think his problems are 90% mental. He has the talent to be a successful NFL RB.
I only watched parts of about 3 Colt games this year.
To me it seems like he has been "over-coached" for lack of a better term. He's determined to go into the called hole, and follow blockers no matter what. He doesn't want to cut-back or run to daylight and it looks like its on purpose.
He's not running on instinct which makes him hesitant and slower.

Another thing I noticed last year was a lot of the time it was like Mark Ingram in NO. Everyone knew when he was going to get the ball on a run play on 1st or 2nd down. Then bring in Herron on 2nd or 3rd down with a run/pass option.

Regardless of what his issues are, next year will be his last chance IMO, and it may not be with Indy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.