Anybody else watching Trent Richardson's NFL career go down the drain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I'm sure the players union will file a grievance.
It depends on what really went down. If Trent left without the team's permission a few days before a playoff game, he is toast. The union will support him, but they can't protect a player from himself.

I don't want to guess what happened, but Trent made a few emphatic statements after he was declared inactive the previous week. He painted himself into a corner, and it is possible that he did something stupid that he might not have otherwise done.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
That makes it pretty easy for the Colts to let Trent go. Hate it for Trent and it appears the writing is on the wall and he will not be a Colt next year. Hope he catches on somewhere else.
He wasn't going to be a colt next year either way but he would still be owed his guaranteed base salary of more than $3 million. Now, it appears, he has lost that also..

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
Rolando McClain and Andre Smith have kind of helped themselves right their own ships. They both made some bad decisions but learned from them and came back to be effective players in the league.

The question for Trent is will he learn from his mistakes? If not, he's done. He'll join the ranks of Jamarcus Russell, Vince Young, and most of the WRs the Detroit Lions drafted from 2003 - 2006. If he learns from his mistakes, he could still get a chance.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Trent just doesnt get the pro game. I think he is like Peyton Hillis in that he has the potential and the talent to be good, but for whatever reason he doesnt have the field vision to succeed in the pros. I think the dagger for Trent is that he played for a team that is known to be pass heavy and he still cant sneak in big production. I certaintly dont think it is the same thing as Ingram is encountering with the Saints in that they dont use him to the fullest of his capablities. I think Trent and AJ probably should stay a year or two and apply for the SECN because that door is about to slam shut on their NFL career.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Trent just doesnt get the pro game. I think he is like Peyton Hillis in that he has the potential and the talent to be good, but for whatever reason he doesnt have the field vision to succeed in the pros. I think the dagger for Trent is that he played for a team that is known to be pass heavy and he still cant sneak in big production. I certaintly dont think it is the same thing as Ingram is encountering with the Saints in that they dont use him to the fullest of his capablities. I think Trent and AJ probably should stay a year or two and apply for the SECN because that door is about to slam shut on their NFL career.
AJ?

he hasn't even had the chance to show anything.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
AJ?

he hasn't even had the chance to show anything.
Actually he did, and his agent or his ego got the better of him. him not going to the senior bowl probably cost him going to the Patriots and being the odds on favorite of succeeding Brady in the next 5 or so years.

Now With Dalton getting resigned, all the bad choices AJ made pre draft , and the perception of him being on an allstar offense it really doesnt figure to be in the cards for AJ to be a starter in the NFL. I know everyone loves AJ, but the truth is Mettenberger was the one true NFL ready qb for the SEC.

mark9765

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 10, 2006
Decatur,Al
It is odd that everything about Trent's situation has been so secretive, especially this day and time when nothing is a secret.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
My stomach starts flipping when I think about LOSING that type of salary.
As does mine. And all because he didn't inform his team team/ask permission. Surely they would've let him go (to the hospital). He may have neglected to inform them out of frustration. If so, wow.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Actually he did, and his agent or his ego got the better of him. him not going to the senior bowl probably cost him going to the Patriots and being the odds on favorite of succeeding Brady in the next 5 or so years.

Now With Dalton getting resigned, all the bad choices AJ made pre draft , and the perception of him being on an allstar offense it really doesnt figure to be in the cards for AJ to be a starter in the NFL. I know everyone loves AJ, but the truth is Mettenberger was the one true NFL ready qb for the SEC.
why does he need to be a starter to be in the league?

and the patriots were going to make him the next franchise qb but decided not to because of the senior bowl?

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama

I think he had shoulder issues that they didn't want to go public and that was the reason he didn't play in the Senior Bowl. Remember he quickly went on IR I think and never even played in the preseason either. He wont be classified a bust until he gets on the field on sucks. This preseason will be huge for him, he plays well (like Mallet) and he probably gets traded and gets a shot to start somewhere.

Sent from my LG G2 4GLTE via Verizon

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
I think he had shoulder issues that they didn't want to go public and that was the reason he didn't play in the Senior Bowl. Remember he quickly went on IR I think and never even played in the preseason either. He wont be classified a bust until he gets on the field on sucks. This preseason will be huge for him, he plays well (like Mallet) and he probably gets traded and gets a shot to start somewhere.
If he plays well, why would they trade him? Unless he absolutely sets the world on fire in the preseason, they probably wouldn't get a lot for him in a trade and they're not paying him much in NFL terms. Dalton is good, but not great. Why would they not keep him as back-up or insurance in case of injury?

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
If he plays well, why would they trade him? Unless he absolutely sets the world on fire in the preseason, they probably wouldn't get a lot for him in a trade and they're not paying him much in NFL terms. Dalton is good, but not great. Why would they not keep him as back-up or insurance in case of injury?
But if you have Dalton locked up McCarron will be gone after his contract is up. Might as well get something for him if he's good.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
why does he need to be a starter to be in the league?

and the patriots were going to make him the next franchise qb but decided not to because of the senior bowl?
There were credible indicators that the Pats were looking for a later round qb that could possibly be an heir apparent qb for Brady since they were going to get rid of Mallet, and the pats were eyeing Mccarron. Mccarron not being at the Senior Bowl and his alleged cocky remarks to scouts most likely cost him the pats job to Garoppolo. As far as him being a starter... I think he needs to be a consistant second stringer to survive because no one is going to continiously sign a life long third stringer. Also the perception of AJ's success was that he was that it was due to being around great players and until he proves that wrong he will be viewed as Graham Harrell 2.0

I really dont know if he can be categorized as a bust since he fell so low. I think if he doesnt perform then "He is what they thought he was". If he does well in the preseason then he maybe will get a look from other teams, but from reports from draft day and some from Cincy seem to indicate that AJ has reverted back to St. Pauls AJ and not Alabama AJ in terms of ego. I think most NFL teams would overlook RBs,WRs,LBs, and DBs with that kinda issue, but probably wouldnt for an unproven QB that fell to the later rounds. And before you say Tom Brady, you also have to acknowledge Tom Brady didnt come in as mister big shot with the bombshell model for a wife and talk bad about his former team in a span of 6 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.