Question: John Wayne fans - what's your favorite three JW movies?

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
I''ll give you mine (no particular order) -
1) The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence
2) They Were Expendable
3) Fort Apache

Many, many honorable mentions, including The Searchers, Rio Lobo, and Rio Grande.

Surely there are a few Duke fans out there on TideFans...

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
1. The Shootist - one of my all time favorites of any movie. What a cast!
2. The Searchers - It was also a favorite of many movie critics. Was not available on TV or VHS/DVD for a long time, for some reason.
3. Big Jake - Richard Boone is a bad guy again. Loved the dog until ... (no spoilers)

An aside: I wish they could have gotten JW to play Coach Bryant in a movie, instead of Gary Busey!

Last edited:

bmcklv

All-American
Nov 27, 2006
Huntsville, Alabama
Green Berets
Big Jake
The Searchers

Edit: Impossible to leave out Red River as well. I don't see how any Duke fan can stick to any absolute three. Maybe 3 best Westerns, Three best War Movies, etc..

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I don't know how Wayne could have played Bryant, even if he had lived. He was born in 1907, so he would have been a little too old to play him. He'd have had a hard time pulling off the scenes playing a younger Bryant.

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Good point. I guess I was thinking a younger actor would play those scenes, if needed. But I think a full movie could be made just from Coach Bryant's time at Bama, which Wayne could have handled

JPT4Bama

Hall of Fame
Aug 21, 2006
Hoover, AL
Man! I love all things Duke! I'll go with these "three"..

Hondo

The Quiet Man

The Searchers

Sands of Iwo Jima

True Grit

Stagecoach

She wore a Yellow Ribbon

Fort Apache

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
Who is John Wayne?
I'm kidding but have no clue about most of the movies on this thread.
Buy/rent/download a few, especially the ones directed by John Ford, grab some popcorn, and enjoy. The cinematography and the screenwriting were approached differently back then, which makes for a different experience than today's films.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Lots of great John Wayne movies listed already. I'll add the following:

"The Cowboys"
"The Sons of Katie Elder"
"The Longest Day" (since he is one of many stars in this movie, I wouldn't call it a JW movie; but boy oh boy, is it a great movie)
"The Flying Tigers"
"The Fighting Seabees"

I loved all of these movies and many more as a kid.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I picked my 3 (above) before reading all the other posts so I wouldn't be influenced.

As you all said.....it's hard to just pick 3!

Another one I really liked was "McQ" because he was in a detective type role....something different. And also the same type of character in "Brannigan" and based in England...which was pretty cool.

I would also add "The War Wagon" as a big favourite because of his co-star Kirk Douglas and the great chemistry between them in the film.

A sentimental favourite is "The Green Berets" because I watched it at the Virginia Beach Drive-In when it first came out with my family including my Dad who was a big movie buff. He passed away from a brain tumor that same year so I'm glad I have that memory with my Dad.

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
O.K., how many of you have more than a dozen JW movies at home? Before the loss of my DVD collection (fahgettabouttit), I had about 40 or so of his A movies, plus a bunch of the B variety.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
There has never been anyone like "The Duke", and there will never be another like him. He represented everything that made America great in one of our greatest times as a country. To pick my 3 favorite Wayne movies would be like picking my 3 favorite foods, there's just to much to choose from. My list will include many on here that have already been listed, but here goes.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
The Searchers
Angel and the Badman
McClintock (probably my all time favorite of his westerns)
Sands of Iwo Jima
Fort Apache
True Grit
Dark Command (Roy Rogers was my first love growing up, so seeing him and Duke in the same movie was pretty awesome)
Horse Soldiers
Green Berets

and the list could go on all night, but I'll stop here. Seeing this kind of makes me want to do a John Wayne marathon, but I think I'll have to hold off on that til later on. Great thread, btw

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.