Question: Is Auburn under secret NCAA penalties?

TRU

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2000
Tampa, FL
There have been some curious things happening on the Plains since 2010 that when looked at individually seem crazy:

1. Auburn cannot keep a full allocation of scholarship players. They seem to be chronically about 15 short.
2. Gus bails as the OC and takes a job as a head coach at a minor school along with a six digit pay cut.
3. Jay Jacobs writes a letter to the AU faithful at the start of last season that basically says that the team is going to stink and pleads for patience while Chiz "builds for the future"
4. Chiz starts out this year 1-3 with the only win in overtime of LA-Monroe. Pat Dye informs the faithful that Chiz will be the head coach next year even if he goes 1-11.

Meanwhile, the NCAA backs off from the sCam investigation, mumbling that the Barn found a loophole in the rules and that Cecil's sale of sCam was really not a violation.

Now flip back to 2010. AU and sCam won the national championship and sCam wins the Heisman. It is clear to everyone that AU paid sCam to come to the Barn. The NCAA comes in to take a look. But curiously, the NCAA and Auburn share a common interest here. the NCAA does not want to suffer a black eye by having to strip the Barn of their championship and sCam of his Hiesman so soon after the Reggie Bush/USC mess. The Barn also does not want to lose its only championship without an asterisk. Is it possible that the NCAA and the Barn cut a secret deal where the Barn agreed to a set of secret self imposed scholarship reductions for the next few years? That way, the Barn gets punished for the sCam purchase without either the NCAA or the Barn having to get into the mess of publicly admitting guilt and vacating the championship and handing back the Heisman.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
There have been some curious things happening on the Plains since 2010 that when looked at individually seem crazy:

1. Auburn cannot keep a full allocation of scholarship players. They seem to be chronically about 15 short.
2. Gus bails as the OC and takes a job as a head coach at a minor school along with a six digit pay cut.
3. Jay Jacobs writes a letter to the AU faithful at the start of last season that basically says that the team is going to stink and pleads for patience while Chiz "builds for the future"
4. Chiz starts out this year 1-3 with the only win in overtime of LA-Monroe. Pat Dye informs the faithful that Chiz will be the head coach next year even if he goes 1-11.

Meanwhile, the NCAA backs off from the sCam investigation, mumbling that the Barn found a loophole in the rules and that Cecil's sale of sCam was really not a violation.

Now flip back to 2010. AU and sCam won the national championship and sCam wins the Heisman. It is clear to everyone that AU paid sCam to come to the Barn. The NCAA comes in to take a look. But curiously, the NCAA and Auburn share a common interest here. the NCAA does not want to suffer a black eye by having to strip the Barn of their championship and sCam of his Hiesman so soon after the Reggie Bush/USC mess. The Barn also does not want to lose its only championship without an asterisk. Is it possible that the NCAA and the Barn cut a secret deal where the Barn agreed to a set of secret self imposed scholarship reductions for the next few years? That way, the Barn gets punished for the sCam purchase without either the NCAA or the Barn having to get into the mess of publicly admitting guilt and vacating the championship and handing back the Heisman.
Apparently not everyone. I do have it on good authority that au is on "double secret probation".

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Auburn has put themselves on sanctions through bad recruiting or simply bad luck with recruiting...however you see it.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
They signed 24 in 2011 and 21 in 2012. That's down a bit from 30 in 2007, 29 in 2008, 28 in 2009, and 32 in 2010. But I think it has more to do with Alabama's emergence since 2009 and with the rep that the Barn earned through Camgate. I think many recruits know that the NCAA has Auburn in its sights.

I think most of the country understands what a cesspool the place is and recruits simply don't want to go there. Seriously, if someone's considering going to an SEC school in the area and they have a choice between Bama, Auburn, Georgia, and Florida, unless they're already a barn homer, with everything that's hanging over the Barn's head, why would a recruit choose Auburn?

Bottom line: the NCAA wouldn't have secret sanctions.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
They signed 24 in 2011 and 21 in 2012. That's down a bit from 30 in 2007, 29 in 2008, 28 in 2009, and 32 in 2010. But I think it has more to do with Alabama's emergence since 2009 and with the rep that the Barn earned through Camgate. I think many recruits know that the NCAA has Auburn in its sights.

I think most of the country understands what a cesspool the place is and recruits simply don't want to go there. Seriously, if someone's considering going to an SEC school in the area and they have a choice between Bama, Auburn, Georgia, and Florida, unless they're already a barn homer, with everything that's hanging over the Barn's head, why would a recruit choose Auburn?

Bottom line: the NCAA wouldn't have secret sanctions.
Exactly. They've signed full classes but players have busted out or ended up in cuffs for serious crimes. It's not like the NCAA can control the quality of players and the police.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

OK :rolleyes:

Well, then USC didn't get the Death Penalty either because they agreed to handicap themselves by hiring Lame Kiffin.....................:biggrin:

Last edited:

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio

wait just a minute...i misplaced my tin foil hat...

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
Hang on a sec, I think I see black helicopters circling over my house like Henry in Goodfellas...

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
I think everyone is looking for some sort of decency & fairness, it just not there. I don't think any kind of deal was cut. What IS happening at API NOW has been going on for decades. API is the reason API has these troubles, they invite it to campus. Most coaches of any integrity would never have entertained bringing in Scam for all that went on in Florida, period. It would just be to big a risk.

Im of the belief now that they flat out got away with it & will never be punished except from their own stupid actions.

All that Cheer SEC! SEC! You can thank mr slime for a big part of the cover up. All he cared about was the NCG dollars.

Enjoy the mess they have down there & know it's going to take at least a decade to turn around. That is all we who want to see them exposed can hope for but this is quite good.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
In 2009 AU implemented self imposed penalties for future NCAA violations by hiring Gene Chizik.
I hope they keep him around as long as possible. Without Cam Newton he's being exposed as the same 5-19 coach we all know he really is.

superbamashane

1st Team
Aug 14, 2006
Sylacauga, AL
I started to create a new thread for this question, but it sorta fits here...How does Auburn keep getting the recruits that they do? I noticed a couple of days ago that they were currently like 7th in the recruiting rankings. I'm not not looking through crimson glasses, or being biased towards Bama. I am somewhat of a rational human being and I just can't make any sense of it. They don't have much tradition to sell, their only titles are tainted as far as the rest of the country is concerned, they are not putting a whole lot of players in the NFL, no beaches or any tourist attractions nearby, players constantly in trouble and/or leaving, no coaching stability(assistants), fans turning on the head coach, rumors of NCAA investigations, and on, and on, and on. They had to go into overtime with a mid-major for their only win of the year because they absolutely suck on the field. Could someone with possibly a greater mind than me explain to me how they are doing it? And don't give me the whole they are cheating crap. I'm not by any means saying that they don't cheat, I just don't see how they could do it that bad and not get caught. There have been too many leave that could have easily spilled the beans. Anyone??????

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.