Link: CGT's latest (Humor)...

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Sure glad I got married in May.

Of course, then I had a child in December....the 15th to be precise, which was not a bad thing until he got old enough to have birthday parties that mandated every kid in class being invited to a rocking good time.

Which is why I spent halftime of the 2009 SEC championship game racing across the city to get to the big screen at the skating rink. To say I was mad is an understatement - my Texas buddy, in fact, who is now divorced (over a separate issue) said, "She scheduled it that weekend on purpose."

Not anymore she don't.

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006
I have missed more than a couple weddings because they were scheduled on a football Saturday in the fall :)

By the way, did that page load really slow for anyone else? Not sure if it was the ad's or what, but my browser froze for a full 15 seconds and my computer is not slow...

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
Earle,
i have told you a few times we got married September 5, 1981. Alabama was playing LSU. I was allowed to wear a ear plug connected to a transistor radio at the reception. The cool thing is my wife kept asking me the score. Some of her family was not to happy about it but we paid for everything so we got it our way.

You can get married during football season just make sure you marry a Bama Girl.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
I love it. Great article. :biggrin2:

My wife knew better - even though we'd only known each other 6 months when we got engaged - than to even think about trying to schedule a fall wedding.

We've had a few friends/relatives/acquaintances that decided to get married in the Fall. I've only been to one of those and that was only because they had enough sense to schedule it during Bama's off-week; they had organized everything so that the wedding and main portion of the reception would only take up about an hour, even if you were in the wedding (having done the wedding party pictures the day before); it started at 11:00am so you didn't miss much anyway; they had an awesome spread at the reception, including "tailgate style" munchies; they had a couple of satellite dishes with multiple big screen TVs set up with one showing the wedding-tribute video and the rest showing college football; and I was in the wedding. It actually turned out to be great and a lot of fun. There was a pretty good turn out, due to their careful planning, and a noticeable number of people left as quickly as they could to get to their days activities but most stayed for quite a while at the reception. I had planned on doing just that until that morning since, as the resident geek, I had to help set up the satellite dishes and TVs early that morning. It was a surprise "guest gift" from the Bride and Groom. Heck, even the groom spent most of the afternoon in the "man section" with all of us watching football. It really was a lot of fun. Of course, the groom was a huge football fan and the bride was a fairly enthusiastic fan herself. They even had some fun with it and took some posed-but-supposed-to-look-like-candid "football fan" pictures. The bride's mother was a seamstress, so she had made an Alabama "Jersey" to fasten on to the bride's dress, making it look like she had put a jersey on over it. All the bridesmaids and groomsmen were wearing Bama hats and stuff. There were a few other people sprinkled in when they posed us - all still watching football, of course - and they took a bunch of pictures of us watching and celebrating and stuff. There was even one of the bride spiking a football! :biggrin:

That's been the only time since I've been able to drive that I've attended a wedding in the fall, and I don't think anything short of that would be likely to make me attend one.

And, ladies, don't think for one second that we're joking when we say that if you plan a wedding in the fall that you should expect over half of your invited guests to show up. A friend of mine seriously threatened to miss his sister's wedding, managing to convince her to change the time of the wedding - even after the invitations had been printed but before they had been sent out - in order to ensure that it wouldn't conflict with the Bama game. Even then, he left halfway through the reception and, unsurprisingly, less than half of the invited guests showed up - 75%-80% of them being female. :)

If you want to have a winter during the latter half of the year then you really need to schedule it either before the last Saturday in August or after the first Saturday in December. :)

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
I have missed more than a couple weddings because they were scheduled on a football Saturday in the fall :)

By the way, did that page load really slow for anyone else? Not sure if it was the ad's or what, but my browser froze for a full 15 seconds and my computer is not slow...
Yes, on both Firefox and Chrome. Something odd is going on there.

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
I've told the story before, but my wife and I were married October 19th, 2007; ut weekend. We scheduled it that way on purpose so we could get married Friday night and make the game on the way to our honeymoon in Destin.

On a whim, I got in touch with Eli Gold to see if I might surprise my wife (granted, this was also self-serving) with a tour of the press-box at BDS. Mr Gold told me that, unfortunately, he wouldn't be able to accommodate that request. He was interested enough in our story of an actual positive Southern-football-wedding-weekend however, that he told me to come to the pre-game radio show and he would put us on the show to talk about our weekend; incorporating BAMA football with our wedding.

As it turned out, both teams were bad that year, we got put in the 11:00 JP game (sorry, I still call the early game the JP game, lol), our reception went well past midnight (ouch), and I had to call my ticket guy and let him know he'd have to scalp our two tix (he sold 'em with no problem).

Would have been a cool experience, and during the reception I told my wife about the potential surprise, but we'd have to wrap this thing up soon if we were still gonna make the game. We were having too much, as was everyone else, so we just ran with the party.

To this day I have not forgotten the kindness that Eli Gold offered me, and my respect level for him went even higher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
NP loading here. Hey didn't we have a poster say he was getting married in the stadium at the Michigan game? How'd that go?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Earle,
i have told you a few times we got married September 5, 1981. Alabama was playing LSU. I was allowed to wear a ear plug connected to a transistor radio at the reception. The cool thing is my wife kept asking me the score. Some of her family was not to happy about it but we paid for everything so we got it our way.

You can get married during football season just make sure you marry a Bama Girl.
I did the same for my stepson's wedding years ago, down in Inglewood, FL. It was the UA/AU game, so I had fans from both sides coming up to ask the score... :)

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Our anniversary is this month. But we got married during the Shula years, so it was ok. ;)

i have been to weddings that have a big screen with the football games playing. But most weddings of relatives are in the off season. Lol.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I got married July 9, 1994, so no conflicts there.

I use IE and the page took a while to load for me.

Someone said in the off week thread they were getting married today.

I wonder what the story's author would have done if he had scheduled his wedding for the first weekend in December 1988, the day the hurricane delayed Texas A&M game was played?

I still call the early game the JP game as well, probably always will.

Last edited:

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I am sitting here right now on tidefans while my wife and kids are getting ready to go to a wedding. My wife didn't even ask me to come, her exact comments were "They're getting married October 6th so I assume you're not going". She is an awesome woman.

GulfCoastTider

Hall of Fame
Thanks for the link, Earle!

That post lost me about 20 twitter followers. I think they're folks celebrating Anniversaries sometime between Sept 1 and Dec 10. :biggrin2:

Sorry about the page loading problems. From time to time the Google API gets cantankerous, especially with smart browsers like Firefox and Chrome. Any time you're loading a Blogger-hosted page and it starts to slow down, mash refresh and it usually wakes up.

It almost always goes away shortly, though.

tmv85

All-SEC
My husband's nephew (whom I normally claim as my own) is getting married on November 10. Know what day that is? Yeah, the Texas A&M game. Guess what time the wedding is. 4:00. Who in his or her right mind schedules a wedding at 4 PM on a football Saturday????? The reception is obviously heavy hors d'oeuvres at the least since they included an RSVP card. I've already told the hubs we ain't staying for the reception, and we will arrive at the wedding at the latest possible moment. (He truly didn't mind either demand.) This is one time I hope for a 7 PM start. But we still ain't staying for the reception. Hahahaha

Oh, and the family shower is on October 27 from 2-4. Yeah, HOMECOMING. I have politely declined the invitation to be a hostess. I'll be at BDS for the game.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Thanks for the link, Earle!

That post lost me about 20 twitter followers. I think they're folks celebrating Anniversaries sometime between Sept 1 and Dec 10. :biggrin2:

Sorry about the page loading problems. From time to time the Google API gets cantankerous, especially with smart browsers like Firefox and Chrome. Any time you're loading a Blogger-hosted page and it starts to slow down, mash refresh and it usually wakes up.

It almost always goes away shortly, though.
It loaded rapidly for me. I have a brand-new hotshot Lenovo, and a lot of problems I blamed on the net were really the old clunker. This one has a gearshift lever right on top for instant overclocking - cool, normal and hyper. The neat thing is that it has a flashing light down under the bottom, aimed down at the stand (you don't see the light - just its reflection), which pulses a different color for each mode. It's green for cool, purple for normal and red for overclocked...

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I wonder what the story's author would have done if he had scheduled his wedding for the first weekend in December 1988, the day the hurricane delayed Texas A&M game was played?
Wouldn't have mattered. That game was played on Thursday, December 1.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Not Bama but since:
a) my sister likes the Tide and
b) it does involve football

I have a similar tale.

My sister married a guy who graduated from pilot training at a Lt in the USAF. His family is from Wisconsin - Packer backers.
For whatever reason, she decided to have her wedding on January 9th in Mississippi. His ENTIRE FAMILY - 20-plus people - came
down to Antioch Baptist Church in Columbus (some of our readers will have seen it on 45). Cold settled in, rainy. But
then there was a potentially complicating factor: the Packers were two-time defending NFC champions. They made the playoffs
with an 11-5 record as the wildcard and opened the playoffs in San Fran against the Niners on January 3.

Some of you may remember that game - it was the one where T.O. caught a last second dart from Steve Young to beat the Packers
right after the officials hosed the Pack by calling Jerry Rice's fumble a "non-fumble." Had the Packers won, the game would have kicked off - literally - during her wedding.

hollisx4

1st Team
Aug 29, 2005
Columbiana, AL.
Love that story guys. I was married in the fall, but it was an off week for us. My wife is cool like that.

I've missed many family functions over the years due to conflicts with our games. It really upsets my in laws pretty bad, I look at it as just another reason not to give a rip what the in laws think.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.