Question: Do you believe Florida and LSU are overrated?

I know the country is happy that challengers are rising from the East. I just see two teams that are overrated. They are in place because there is no one else to put there. USCe didn't play anyone. UGA has been overrated since the Blackout game. They've struggled against the likes of Vandy this season, among others. Florida? Their defense didn't look as good as portrayed by the media. LSUs offense is horrible. Guess what? So is Florida's. So, what do you think?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Re: Do you believe Florida and LSU is overrated?

I know the country is happy that challengers are rising from the East. I just see two teams that are overrated. They are in place because there is no one else to put there. USCe didn't play anyone. UGA has been overrated since the Blackout game. They've struggled against the likes of Vandy this season, among others. Florida? Their defense didn't look as good as portrayed by the media. LSUs offense is horrible. Guess what? So is Florida's. So, what do you think?
Well, then that means they are correctly rated.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL

I think Florida is for real & their D looked good to me especially with that stand in the red zone. LSU you would think is not a team without HB but my guess is the players they lost to the draft were more of an effect. Hard to say about SC yet in my view.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

Jbama: FWIW...from a Gator's perspective....with our sloppy performances....I don't feel comfortable ranked as high as we are.

I learned long ago not to get too wrapped up in rankings.

Yes they are important but only on paper, really. No matter how you are ranked, ultimately you have to play the game and that is when the rubber meets the road, baby.

I will say that in their favor, the Gators have the ingredients necessary to now compete at the top level - they just need more practice - and more games to iron out the wrinkles and continue their quest in finding their identity again.

I don't have to remind anyone here how hard it can be to recover from some down years with less than desirable coaching and recruiting. So - yes, I would agree our current rank doesn't match where we are right now performance-wise.

Lastly - I would sum it up by saying we are week to week in terms of how good we really are. Check back after October and let's revisit the question...

Thanks and GO GATORS!!! :biggrin:

Bazza, I'm anxiously waiting on their UGA and USCe games. Although I do believe they are a bit overrated, I also believe they are getting there. If that offense doesn't get any better they may have sad faces in a couple of weeks. I would love for Florida to meet in our annually scheduled game, the SECCG, this year. It's only right!

And it's Florida and South Carolina, not whoserville!

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006

As the OP mentions, both offenses have issues. Even though they gave up more points (I think one TD really came because LSU lost a few players on a key drive), LSU has the better defense in terms of pure talent. I think UF has the better running game right now mainly because LSU has had some injury issues on the OL. UF probably has the better QB, even though he's probably still average to below average in terms of his ability to "shoulder the load". I think both teams lose to USCe if USCe shows up ready to play and doesn't get over-confident.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

Bazza, I'm anxiously waiting on their UGA and USCe games. Although I do believe they are a bit overrated, I also believe they are getting there. If that offense doesn't get any better they may have sad faces in a couple of weeks. I would love for Florida to meet in our annually scheduled game, the SECCG, this year. It's only right!

And it's Florida and South Carolina, not whoserville!
JBama....10-4 on everything you said! Obviously we would love to pick up where we left off - playing again for the SEC crown against the most superior team in the SEC...the Crimson Tide!

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006

I know the country is happy that challengers are rising from the East. I just see two teams that are overrated. They are in place because there is no one else to put there. USCe didn't play anyone. UGA has been overrated since the Blackout game. They've struggled against the likes of Vandy this season, among others. Florida? Their defense didn't look as good as portrayed by the media. LSUs offense is horrible. Guess what? So is Florida's. So, what do you think?[/QUOT

If they are over rated, who are the teams below them that should be rated ahead of them?

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL

If they are over rated, who are the teams below them that should be rated ahead of them?
The question of whether a team is overrated or not is not only about where they stand in polls. You might not dispute South Carolina being #3, but your subjective opinion of them is likely to be highly influenced by whether you think Georgia is any good, or if the game was a fluke. The same team that dominated Georgia struggled against Vanderbilt.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama

Jbama: FWIW...from a Gator's perspective....with our sloppy performances....I don't feel comfortable ranked as high as we are.

I learned long ago not to get too wrapped up in rankings.

Yes they are important but only on paper, really. No matter how you are ranked, ultimately you have to play the game and that is when the rubber meets the road, baby.

I will say that in their favor, the Gators have the ingredients necessary to now compete at the top level - they just need more practice - and more games to iron out the wrinkles and continue their quest in finding their identity again.

I don't have to remind anyone here how hard it can be to recover from some down years with less than desirable coaching and recruiting. So - yes, I would agree our current rank doesn't match where we are right now performance-wise.

Lastly - I would sum it up by saying we are week to week in terms of how good we really are. Check back after October and let's revisit the question...

Thanks and GO GATORS!!! :biggrin:
Sorry. I should have elaborated a little. I think LSU is not that great of a team on offense. Their defense will keep them in games, but if their offense doesn't start clicking, they may lose once more before we even play them. LSU is way overrated in my opinion. Florida has a lot of great pieces, but I want to see them play USCe. I like Florida. They are one of my favorite SEC teams, but I feel Bama would beat them by two TD's or more. I am biased, however. Hehe.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

IMO, it's still a bit hard to tell. I think LSU is definitely overrated. They have had nightmare injuries on the OL, the kind I dread, and their QB situation is dire, worse than last year. This fact makes it hard to really evaluate UF. From there, it's like dominoes. We may not know until the SECCG...

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009

IMO, it's still a bit hard to tell. I think LSU is definitely overrated. They have had nightmare injuries on the OL, the kind I dread, and their QB situation is dire, worse than last year. This fact makes it hard to really evaluate UF. From there, it's like dominoes. We may not know until the SECCG...
LSU might have three losses by time Bama plays them. South Carolina could get them this weekend and then the game at Texas A&M will be very tough. They're definitely not as good as last year.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Thought LSU was a little over-rated before, but not now. They are a top 10 team, IMO. Florida is also a top 10 team - maybe top 5 - time will tell.

To determine that a team is "over-rated" you have to ask yourself who you would rank higher. How many teams in America are better than either of these teams this year? Not many.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011

I don't think either Florida or LSU is over-rated now. Both are top 10 teams. Both seem to struggle offensively, but that could change quickly. LSU has had even more injury problems than Bama, but they are a dangerous team. That Florida-SC game should be a dandy.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.