Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

Question: Notre Dame never plays SEC games...is there any specific reasons?

First, I truly enjoy the great conversations within this forum, and it is by far the BEST site for discussing the tide and all things associated.

Question:

A friend of mine (A Big10 fan, but a very reasonable and informed fan) were dsicussing the previous conference realignments, and Notre Dame was brought up. He asked why that Notre Dame never scheduled an SEC team, and I had no answers for it. The only time I remember Notre Dame playing an SEC team was in a bowl game.

Is there a reason for this?

Thanks all, and Roll Tide!

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-SEC Timberline Tide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question: Notre Dame never plays SEC games...is there any specific reasons?

Quote Originally Posted by bamafaninOhiO View Post
    Is there a reason for this?
    Fear

BamaNation Hall of Fame bamachile's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Busy on TideFans.com

“In the South everybody’s got a story, a long, elaborate, rambling, subordinate-clause-filled, possibly even entirely made-up story.”

—Diane Roberts, quoted in book review by Jay Watson
    in The Southern Register, Fall 2009

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I believe there was a home and home with Tennessee some years back. Also don't forget "The Sack"...that was a regular season game in Bham.

BamaNation Hall of Fame rizolltizide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't really help them recruit. Not as many Catholics in the South and MOST Southerners have no desire to go there. They'll play here every now and then, though.
    RIP Hub

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rizolltizide View Post
    Doesn't really help them recruit. Not as many Catholics in the South and MOST Southerners have no desire to go there. They'll play here every now and then, though.
    Thats was kind of my thought on it...
    they really have no ties to the southeast, and this isnt a strong area for them in recruiting.

Thanks Riz...

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

There was that home and home that never happend a few years ago after the UCLA, and Oklahoma games.
    Send me up some Pibb Extra and Golden Flake potato chips please

BamaNation All-American Crimson1967's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

They played us in the regular season in 1976, 1980, 1987 and 1988. They played Ole Miss in 1977 and 1985. Tennessee eight times ranging from 1978-2005 and LSU eight times from 1970-1998, plus bowl games in 1997 and 2007.

All of these games were exactly half at home and half on the road.

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    They played us in the regular season in 1976, 1980, 1987 and 1988. They played Ole Miss in 1977 and 1985. Tennessee eight times ranging from 1978-2005 and LSU eight times from 1970-1998, plus bowl games in 1997 and 2007.

Thanks Crimson1967, I appreciate it.

BamaNation Second Team bluesrulz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Bamachile summed it up perfectly
    Last edited by bluesrulz; October 19th, 2012 at 10:10 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    FootMouth on TideFans.com

They used to have home and home series with both LSU and tennessee, but it's been awhile. They have beaten tennessee the last two or three times they played them, even when tennessee was the better team. LSU, on the other hand is a different matter. The last LSU-Notre Dame game was in the Sugar Bowl after the 2006 season, and LSU won going away, 41-14. I can see why they haven't scheduled another home and home with them since. I would love for Bama to get another home and home with them, but I know that they don't want any part of us.

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

They tend to stick to Big 10 type schedules until now, with many set rivalries. But the answer is easy. Playing a nobody SEC team makes little sense and playing a top tier team is a most probable loss. In defense, this year they play Miami, Michigan, USC, Stanford and Oklahoma......which is not a cowardly schedule at all.

Alabama, Texas an Michigan will always be a little jelious of Notre Dame with their ability to be a conference of their own. There is no way around the fact that they are the only team that can sustain their relevance as a commodity even during long stretches of average play. They have a religious, ethnic and historical appeal that is a step above everyone else. And I dislike them too. ND is what it is.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post

For a full break down of the Notre Dame history, you can look at the link HERE. Clicking on any of the teams listed will give you the year and the final result of the game. Interestingly enough, Notre Dame has a losing record only to Georgia in the SEC.
    It's not rocket surgery!