Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BamaNation First Team

Re: Question: Notre Dame never plays SEC games...is there any specific reasons?

I have a buddy who played at a MAC school and has been to ND for a couple of games. He's also been to BDS and stadia all over the country. He said gameday at ND is abysmal. Sure they draw some recruits for the obvious reasons - nationwide TV and all. But he said that compared to Tuscaloosa, Knoxville, Baton Rouge, Gainesville, Oregon, USC, etc. the experience is pretty anticlimactic to a blue chip recruit.

Back on thread, if they play any decent SEC school they stand a 65-90% chance of losing. Then they and their recruits will hear about it until they schedule and go beat another 1-2 SEC teams, which they'll have the same probability of losing to.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation First Team Snuffy Smith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CapstoneTider View Post
    They tend to stick to Big 10 type schedules until now, with many set rivalries. But the answer is easy. Playing a nobody SEC team makes little sense and playing a top tier team is a most probable loss. In defense, this year they play Miami, Michigan, USC, Stanford and Oklahoma......which is not a cowardly schedule at all.

Alabama, Texas an Michigan will always be a little jelious of Notre Dame with their ability to be a conference of their own. There is no way around the fact that they are the only team that can sustain their relevance as a commodity even during long stretches of average play. They have a religious, ethnic and historical appeal that is a step above everyone else. And I dislike them too. ND is what it is.
    This is why their move towards the ACC puzzles me. I would have thought if they were going to move "toward" a conference it would have been the big 10. That is where they have more natural rivalries.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BamaBeta View Post
    For a full break down of the Notre Dame history, you can look at the link HERE. Clicking on any of the teams listed will give you the year and the final result of the game. Interestingly enough, Notre Dame has a losing record only to Georgia in the SEC.
    Thanks, missed the Vandy series when I scanned the main list. The one Georiga game was against Hershel Walker in the national championship game.

I did not know that site had the ability to show teams aganst conferences, that's pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by MBA_99 View Post
    Back on thread, if they play any decent SEC school they stand a 65-90% chance of losing.
    That has only been the case over the last decade or so. It's not like Notre Dame has a losing record to SEC teams.

Also, the SEC hasn't always been the murderers row that it is today. Alabama carried the SEC during the 60's & 70's, but after that very few SEC teams were truly elite until the 2000's.

This was especially true while UF and UT were the standard bearers. Check out the Nebraska games that UF and UT played.

BamaNation All-American bamabelle1991's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by bamachile View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    They played us in the regular season in 1976, 1980, 1987 and 1988. They played Ole Miss in 1977 and 1985. Tennessee eight times ranging from 1978-2005 and LSU eight times from 1970-1998, plus bowl games in 1997 and 2007.

All of these games were exactly half at home and half on the road.
    The above pictured, most famous play happened in 1986.

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    My Mood
    Bookworm on TideFans.com

Notre Dame used to play a challenging schedule. That probably cost them the 1989 title. But their schedules the last decade have been abysmal. Though this year's is tough.
    :13

Simple answer, they ain't stupid.

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

It has never been in NDs best interest to play SEC teams.
    Years ago they were thought of as a 'Special Team' and too good to play SEC teams.
    Times have changed.

In the last dozen years, ND hasn't wanted any part of the SEC.
    They haven't been very good and a 'L' hurts their image.
    ND has been propped up by the media for years. It's just recently that they have began to play football again. What they had been playing looked like a combo of 'Flag Football'
    and a pick-up game of Football...

The luster has been off the ND football team for some time, but the media failed to acknowledge that 'the king had no clothes'...

Yep, I sugar coated it...
    Last edited by Ole Man Dan; October 20th, 2012 at 12:00 AM. Reason: format

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMan09's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

They've had enough trouble keeping their heads above water without playing any SEC teams on a regular basis..They're not dumb..I'd stay away from SEC competition as well..Their supposed superior intellect comes in handy after all..

BamaNation All-American TheRealPokeChop's Avatar
    My Mood
    Aggressive on TideFans.com

i remember they had a home and home series with Tennessee a few years back.
    Serve no master but your own ambition.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Redwood Forrest's Avatar
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Snuffy Smith View Post
    This is why their move towards the ACC puzzles me. I would have thought if they were going to move "toward" a conference it would have been the big 10. That is where they have more natural rivalries.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I think it has to do with their TV rights. The ACC wants to be relevent so badly that they bowed down and let ND call the shots. The Big 10 was not so eager to do this, kind of like Texas found out when they wanted to take their Longhorn Network with them to the PAC 12 and Big 10. Shows how desperately ACC wants to be a player.
    An atheist is a man who has no invisible means of support. John Buchan

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    My Mood
    Mellow on TideFans.com
    Quote Originally Posted by bamachile View Post
    That says it all.
    ROLL TIDE!

Quote Originally Posted by JBama_in_PCOLA View Post
    That says it all.
    In all fairness, they beat our brains out the next year, and I believe this is the only time we've ever won. If we both go undefeated, it would make for a great rematch.