Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American ALA2262's Avatar

Re: Question: Notre Dame never plays SEC games...is there any specific reasons?

Quote Originally Posted by ND1976 View Post
    You are giving us a too much credit for the caliber of opponents we are trying to schedule for the off site home games. Next year it is Arizona State in Dallas. I cannot imagine Alabama agreeing to a proposal to play us in Yankee Stadium or Soldier Field or the Meadowlands with us getting the home team ticket allotment, Alabama getting the visiting team allotment, game broadcast on NBC, and no return game. Not even we have the chutzpah to propose that to you guys, and I doubt that we formally did. I can't believe Miami took that deal.

Although a return game at a neutral site with Alabama getting the home team allotment .....

Maryland didn't bend over as bad as you think. That game was at FedEx Field, which is not their home stadium.
    I did not say that ND was proposing to play Bama in those locations as off-site home games. I said that they were hoping to schedule Bama or Florida in Orlando, and Bama or LSU in New Orleans. BIG difference from NY or NJ. Any time you can play an off-site home game in the opponents home state (Maryland), you have shafted them. Which is why the Big 12 and SEC TV contracts prevent that.

You don't really believe ND booked stadiums in Texas with the intention of playing Washington State and Arizona State. Do you? Or in New Orleans to play Baylor? Or Orlando to play Army?

The Maryland game is proof of my contention as to what ND was attempting to do. The ACC TV contract allowed it. SEC and Big 12 TV contracts do not. The fact that they got out of the New Orleans and Orlando venues is furthur proof.
    Last edited by ALA2262; December 10th, 2012 at 12:53 PM.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Second Team FriendlyIrish's Avatar

Florida hasn't played an OOC game outside of Florida since 1991.

Just sayin...

Quote Originally Posted by FriendlyIrish View Post
    Florida hasn't played an OOC game outside of Florida since 1991.

Just sayin...
    They learned when you expend all of your energy in beating Bama 35-0, it is best not to go to Syracuse, or anywhere else, the following week.

Florida lost that next week at Syracuse. Bama would not lose again for TWO YEARS and TWO MONTHS!
    Last edited by ALA2262; December 9th, 2012 at 11:32 PM.

BamaNation Scout Team

Quote Originally Posted by We_are_Bama View Post
    They used to have home and home series with both LSU and tennessee, but it's been awhile. They have beaten tennessee the last two or three times they played them, even when tennessee was the better team. LSU, on the other hand is a different matter. The last LSU-Notre Dame game was in the Sugar Bowl after the 2006 season, and LSU won going away, 41-14. I can see why they haven't scheduled another home and home with them since. I would love for Bama to get another home and home with them, but I know that they don't want any part of us.
    I suspect quite the contrary is true. We welcome the opportunity to go head-to-head with great programs such as yours. It really has to do with scheduling and conference play . . . most SEC teams would rather NOT home and home with ND if the ND home is in late October or November (weather AND conference play) so that leaves September and a lot of teams to schedule since ND is not in a conference.

BamaNation Scout Team

Quote Originally Posted by Snuffy Smith View Post
    This is why their move towards the ACC puzzles me. I would have thought if they were going to move "toward" a conference it would have been the big 10. That is where they have more natural rivalries.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ND was blackballed by the Big Ten and, as a consequence, it would likely be the LAST place they would end up. However, you all can thank the Big Ten blackballing for the national following that ND attained. Since the kids in their backyard would not play ND, they went coast-to-coast playing any team that sould schedule them. You obviously know what happened thereafter . . . it is why ND jealously guards indpendence, it truly was 'us' against 'them'

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEyeshade View Post
    In all fairness, they beat our brains out the next year, and I believe this is the only time we've ever won. If we both go undefeated, it would make for a great rematch.
    we're like 1-5 against them, correct?...
    hopefully we get to start evening this out this season...but the fact is they've had our number over the years (one of the few teams that have...)

BamaNation Hall of Fame bamachile's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by bamafaninOhiO View Post
    we're like 1-5 against them, correct?...
    hopefully we get to start evening this out this season...but the fact is they've had our number over the years (one of the few teams that have...)
    We were 0-for-everything against Tejas not long ago. We had lost 6 in a row against the barnyard not long ago. We were declared 'irrelevant' by a fat orange pumpkin not long ago.

We're gonna be fine.
    “Louisiana is a fresh-air mental asylum.”
    ― James Lee Burke, Pegasus Descending

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by bamachile View Post
    We were 0-for-everything against Tejas not long ago. We had lost 6 in a row against the barnyard not long ago. We were declared 'irrelevant' by a fat orange pumpkin not long ago.

We're gonna be fine.
    I didnt say we weren't going to be fine...
    I was merely stating an interesting fact, thats all...
    very few teams can even make that statement...

and I know that it wasnt this team they beat...but they did beat us when we had another pretty good coach...

BamaNation Hall of Fame bamachile's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by bamafaninOhiO View Post
    I didnt say we weren't going to be fine...
    Not squabblin' with you, just reassuring. ND is no pushover, and I'm sure it'll be a good game. Still, we're gonna be fine.
    “Louisiana is a fresh-air mental asylum.”
    ― James Lee Burke, Pegasus Descending

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by ALA2262 View Post
    Any time you can play an off-site home game in the opponents home state (Maryland), you have shafted them. Which is why the Big 12 and SEC TV contracts prevent that.
    Could you elaborate on the reasoning behind the television contracts getting involved in a conference team scheduling a neutral site game in their own state? Does it cover the entire conference footprint or just the conference team's state?

Do you know if UGA had to get a waiver when they played Boise State in Atlanta?

BamaNation First Team

I understand that Coach Saban tried to add Notre Dame to the regular season schedule several years ago but they were not interested in playing at the time.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaJama17's Avatar
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

Schedules are made 6-10 years in advance. I was happy though when they beat UThug back in 2004 and 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffAtlanta View Post
    Could you elaborate on the reasoning behind the television contracts getting involved in a conference team scheduling a neutral site game in their own state? Does it cover the entire conference footprint or just the conference team's state?

Do you know if UGA had to get a waiver when they played Boise State in Atlanta?
    We are not talking about neutral site games. We are talking about off-site home games whereby the school (ND in this case) books the stadium, controls ALL of the tickets, and their TV network (NBC in this case) has the TV rights. None of that is the case with the Chick-Fil-A Kickoff Classic.

What ND wanted to do was go into SEC and Big 12 territory and schedule those conference's teams in their own backyard under their (ND's) terms. It was not allowed. They got away with it in the ACC territory with the Maryland game. In the Big 12 territory they got stuck with Washington State and Arizona State. In the SEC territory, they got out of the Orlando venue because the Citrus Bowl did not make all of the improvements specified in their contract, and they bought out of the New Orleans venue.