Question: Notre Dame never plays SEC games...is there any specific reasons?

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
First, I truly enjoy the great conversations within this forum, and it is by far the BEST site for discussing the tide and all things associated.

Question:

A friend of mine (A Big10 fan, but a very reasonable and informed fan) were dsicussing the previous conference realignments, and Notre Dame was brought up. He asked why that Notre Dame never scheduled an SEC team, and I had no answers for it. The only time I remember Notre Dame playing an SEC team was in a bowl game.

Is there a reason for this?

Thanks all, and Roll Tide!

mrusso

1st Team
Apr 17, 2006
I believe there was a home and home with Tennessee some years back. Also don't forget "The Sack"...that was a regular season game in Bham.

rizolltizide

Hall of Fame
Jan 4, 2003
st pete, fl
Doesn't really help them recruit. Not as many Catholics in the South and MOST Southerners have no desire to go there. They'll play here every now and then, though.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Doesn't really help them recruit. Not as many Catholics in the South and MOST Southerners have no desire to go there. They'll play here every now and then, though.
Thats was kind of my thought on it...
they really have no ties to the southeast, and this isnt a strong area for them in recruiting.

Thanks Riz...

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
They played us in the regular season in 1976, 1980, 1987 and 1988. They played Ole Miss in 1977 and 1985. Tennessee eight times ranging from 1978-2005 and LSU eight times from 1970-1998, plus bowl games in 1997 and 2007.

All of these games were exactly half at home and half on the road.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
They played us in the regular season in 1976, 1980, 1987 and 1988. They played Ole Miss in 1977 and 1985. Tennessee eight times ranging from 1978-2005 and LSU eight times from 1970-1998, plus bowl games in 1997 and 2007.

Thanks Crimson1967, I appreciate it.

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
They used to have home and home series with both LSU and tennessee, but it's been awhile. They have beaten tennessee the last two or three times they played them, even when tennessee was the better team. LSU, on the other hand is a different matter. The last LSU-Notre Dame game was in the Sugar Bowl after the 2006 season, and LSU won going away, 41-14. I can see why they haven't scheduled another home and home with them since. I would love for Bama to get another home and home with them, but I know that they don't want any part of us.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
They tend to stick to Big 10 type schedules until now, with many set rivalries. But the answer is easy. Playing a nobody SEC team makes little sense and playing a top tier team is a most probable loss. In defense, this year they play Miami, Michigan, USC, Stanford and Oklahoma......which is not a cowardly schedule at all.

Alabama, Texas an Michigan will always be a little jelious of Notre Dame with their ability to be a conference of their own. There is no way around the fact that they are the only team that can sustain their relevance as a commodity even during long stretches of average play. They have a religious, ethnic and historical appeal that is a step above everyone else. And I dislike them too. ND is what it is.

BamaBeta

All-SEC
Sep 18, 2008
Atlanta

For a full break down of the Notre Dame history, you can look at the link HERE. Clicking on any of the teams listed will give you the year and the final result of the game. Interestingly enough, Notre Dame has a losing record only to Georgia in the SEC.

MBA_99

1st Team
Jan 11, 2010
A, A
I have a buddy who played at a MAC school and has been to ND for a couple of games. He's also been to BDS and stadia all over the country. He said gameday at ND is abysmal. Sure they draw some recruits for the obvious reasons - nationwide TV and all. But he said that compared to Tuscaloosa, Knoxville, Baton Rouge, Gainesville, Oregon, USC, etc. the experience is pretty anticlimactic to a blue chip recruit.

Back on thread, if they play any decent SEC school they stand a 65-90% chance of losing. Then they and their recruits will hear about it until they schedule and go beat another 1-2 SEC teams, which they'll have the same probability of losing to.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
They tend to stick to Big 10 type schedules until now, with many set rivalries. But the answer is easy. Playing a nobody SEC team makes little sense and playing a top tier team is a most probable loss. In defense, this year they play Miami, Michigan, USC, Stanford and Oklahoma......which is not a cowardly schedule at all.

Alabama, Texas an Michigan will always be a little jelious of Notre Dame with their ability to be a conference of their own. There is no way around the fact that they are the only team that can sustain their relevance as a commodity even during long stretches of average play. They have a religious, ethnic and historical appeal that is a step above everyone else. And I dislike them too. ND is what it is.
This is why their move towards the ACC puzzles me. I would have thought if they were going to move "toward" a conference it would have been the big 10. That is where they have more natural rivalries.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
For a full break down of the Notre Dame history, you can look at the link HERE. Clicking on any of the teams listed will give you the year and the final result of the game. Interestingly enough, Notre Dame has a losing record only to Georgia in the SEC.
Thanks, missed the Vandy series when I scanned the main list. The one Georiga game was against Hershel Walker in the national championship game.

I did not know that site had the ability to show teams aganst conferences, that's pretty cool.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
Back on thread, if they play any decent SEC school they stand a 65-90% chance of losing.
That has only been the case over the last decade or so. It's not like Notre Dame has a losing record to SEC teams.

Also, the SEC hasn't always been the murderers row that it is today. Alabama carried the SEC during the 60's & 70's, but after that very few SEC teams were truly elite until the 2000's.

This was especially true while UF and UT were the standard bearers. Check out the Nebraska games that UF and UT played.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama

The above pictured, most famous play happened in 1986.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Notre Dame used to play a challenging schedule. That probably cost them the 1989 title. But their schedules the last decade have been abysmal. Though this year's is tough.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.