Question: Notre Dame never plays SEC games...is there any specific reasons?

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Florida hasn't played an OOC game outside of Florida since 1991.

Just sayin...
They learned when you expend all of your energy in beating Bama 35-0, it is best not to go to Syracuse, or anywhere else, the following week.

Florida lost that next week at Syracuse. Bama would not lose again for TWO YEARS and TWO MONTHS!

Last edited:

WilhelmDND80

Nov 29, 2012
They used to have home and home series with both LSU and tennessee, but it's been awhile. They have beaten tennessee the last two or three times they played them, even when tennessee was the better team. LSU, on the other hand is a different matter. The last LSU-Notre Dame game was in the Sugar Bowl after the 2006 season, and LSU won going away, 41-14. I can see why they haven't scheduled another home and home with them since. I would love for Bama to get another home and home with them, but I know that they don't want any part of us.
I suspect quite the contrary is true. We welcome the opportunity to go head-to-head with great programs such as yours. It really has to do with scheduling and conference play . . . most SEC teams would rather NOT home and home with ND if the ND home is in late October or November (weather AND conference play) so that leaves September and a lot of teams to schedule since ND is not in a conference.

WilhelmDND80

Nov 29, 2012
This is why their move towards the ACC puzzles me. I would have thought if they were going to move "toward" a conference it would have been the big 10. That is where they have more natural rivalries.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ND was blackballed by the Big Ten and, as a consequence, it would likely be the LAST place they would end up. However, you all can thank the Big Ten blackballing for the national following that ND attained. Since the kids in their backyard would not play ND, they went coast-to-coast playing any team that sould schedule them. You obviously know what happened thereafter . . . it is why ND jealously guards indpendence, it truly was 'us' against 'them'

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
In all fairness, they beat our brains out the next year, and I believe this is the only time we've ever won. If we both go undefeated, it would make for a great rematch.
we're like 1-5 against them, correct?...
hopefully we get to start evening this out this season...but the fact is they've had our number over the years (one of the few teams that have...)

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
we're like 1-5 against them, correct?...
hopefully we get to start evening this out this season...but the fact is they've had our number over the years (one of the few teams that have...)
We were 0-for-everything against Tejas not long ago. We had lost 6 in a row against the barnyard not long ago. We were declared 'irrelevant' by a fat orange pumpkin not long ago.

We're gonna be fine.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
We were 0-for-everything against Tejas not long ago. We had lost 6 in a row against the barnyard not long ago. We were declared 'irrelevant' by a fat orange pumpkin not long ago.

We're gonna be fine.
I didnt say we weren't going to be fine...
I was merely stating an interesting fact, thats all...
very few teams can even make that statement...

and I know that it wasnt this team they beat...but they did beat us when we had another pretty good coach...

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
Any time you can play an off-site home game in the opponents home state (Maryland), you have shafted them. Which is why the Big 12 and SEC TV contracts prevent that.
Could you elaborate on the reasoning behind the television contracts getting involved in a conference team scheduling a neutral site game in their own state? Does it cover the entire conference footprint or just the conference team's state?

Do you know if UGA had to get a waiver when they played Boise State in Atlanta?

Bama1985

1st Team
Jan 18, 2006
Calhoun County
I understand that Coach Saban tried to add Notre Dame to the regular season schedule several years ago but they were not interested in playing at the time.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Could you elaborate on the reasoning behind the television contracts getting involved in a conference team scheduling a neutral site game in their own state? Does it cover the entire conference footprint or just the conference team's state?

Do you know if UGA had to get a waiver when they played Boise State in Atlanta?
We are not talking about neutral site games. We are talking about off-site home games whereby the school (ND in this case) books the stadium, controls ALL of the tickets, and their TV network (NBC in this case) has the TV rights. None of that is the case with the Chick-Fil-A Kickoff Classic.

What ND wanted to do was go into SEC and Big 12 territory and schedule those conference's teams in their own backyard under their (ND's) terms. It was not allowed. They got away with it in the ACC territory with the Maryland game. In the Big 12 territory they got stuck with Washington State and Arizona State. In the SEC territory, they got out of the Orlando venue because the Citrus Bowl did not make all of the improvements specified in their contract, and they bought out of the New Orleans venue.

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
Our previous AD, Dr. Kevin White, watered down the schedule in general and in particular with an annual "off-site home game", now called the "Shamrock Series", where we would play in Yankee Stadium, Soldier Field, etc. with no return game in the visitor's stadium. Then he was also scheduling 6 or 7 true home games. The 7-4-1 model meant three home "buy" games on top of the "off-site home game", leaving little room for adding a quality opponent on top of those four games and the "regulars" - USC, Michigan, Michigan State, Navy, Purdue, Stanford, and sometimes Pitt or BC or BYU, and sometimes an additional service academy (but not as often as you guys think). The 7-4-1 watering down drove us alums crazy. Additionally, our Big 10 opponents claim they will not play any out of conference games once their conference play starts. USC will no longer play us in November in South Bend, so we play them at home in October in odd years and on the coast Thanksgiving weekend in even years. We play Stanford at home in October in even years and and on the coast Thanksgiving in even years. (Although both Alabama and Tennessee have come to South Bend in December.)

I wish I could say with total confidence that Dr. White was not trying to duck you guys, but I can't. Anyway, Dr. White was an outlier, and things have changed.

7-4-1 is now 6-5-1. Michigan and Michigan State are no longer regulars. (They may become "occasionals". Although like most alums I am weary of Michigan's b.s.) We have picked up a couple of home and home with Texas in place of Michigan, and will be adding more quality opponents in that slot, including hopeful some home and homes with you guys. Pitt and BC will count against our ACC allotment. Oklahoma is playing in South Bend next year. I think Purdue and may have to be willing to play us in October or November if they want to remain a regular.

Brian Kelly and our new AD Jack Swarbrick have both stated they want to get back to playing a more national national schedule. Kelly has said we have to play and beat SEC teams to be the best. When Kelly got to ND he said he had to build a SEC type defense to compete for the championship. Trust me, we respect you guys.

The ND people who went to the our games at Alabama report that that you guys are great hosts. (Games at LSU, not so much.) I went to the '73 Sugar Bowl and the 1976 game in South Bend and found the Alabama folks to be friendly and sportsmanlike. Looking forward to more good games with you guys.
I am a regular visitor/infrequent poster on NDNation. What ND1976 writes above captures the zeitgeist of that site on this issue.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.